Which battery works well in Leica M8?

Dopaco

Advertisement (gone after registration)

10 hours ago, lct said:

Es posible que desee hacer lo que hice durante más de 10 años. Olvídese de las baterías Leica originales, compre 4 o 5 baterías baratas de terceros y reemplácelas solo cuando estén completamente descargadas en la cámara . Funcionó bien para mí, pero no hay ningún daño que intentar de todos modos  .:)

That's what I'm doing, before charging the battery, I hope it runs out completely. Sometimes I force the algotamiento having the screen turned on.

a greeting

Better to buy original one. But if you are not willing to spend money on most expensive and made in China battery...

I have "Original OTB",  20$ batteries. In M-E and I used them in M8.

The only issue with M8 was continuous shooting. Those batteries not supporting it. At the second or third frame it was locking M8.

To unlock it, fresh battery has to be inserted.

• Like 1

Hace 8 horas, Ko.Fe. dijo:

Mejor comprar el original. Pero si no está dispuesto a gastar dinero en la batería más cara y fabricada en China ...

Tengo "Original OTB", 20 $ baterías. En Mí y los usé en M8.

El único problema con M8 fue el disparo continuo. Esas baterías no lo soportan. En el segundo o tercer cuadro estaba bloqueando M8.

Para desbloquearlo, hay que insertar una batería nueva.

Al final me decidí por la batería original de Leica ...

¿Cuál de los 3 comprarías? ... (Los 3 son nuevos y dicen ser Leica 14464).

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Dopaco
imagen

I had good luck using off-brand batteries in my M8. As mentioned by another poster, it was best to use the battery until the camera said it was empty. Trying to charge one of the knock-offs when it wasn't flat often didn't work in my original Leica charger.

The main issue I ran into over time was that the knock-offs "puffed" as the cells outgassed. They didn't leak, but the gas pressure bowed the plastic battery enclosure to the point where it wouldn't slide in/out of the camera. Fortunately, my original Leica battery didn't see much use and is still working today.

• 1 year later...

OK, I have a new, to me, M8.2 with a Leica battery.  I bought two third party batteries from Amazon.  The Leica battery ran down this afternoon.  Like it just plunged from all bars to blank.  No problemo.  I popped in a third party battery and all was well.

At home I turned on the camera with the Leica battery in it and with the battery saver feature turned off and made sure the battery was fully drained.  I have done the same with the two third party batteries.  Now that all three are fully discharged I put the Leica battery in the Leica charger to charge fully and will charge the third party batteries similarly after the Leica is charged.

Battery charging procedure can be contentious.  One car I drive is a hybrid Honda, a 2001 Insight, and the procedures for battery maintenance on that are a topic of discussion.  Its batteries are LiIon also.  And about every three months I charge them full, drain them to ~30%, charge to full, drain to ~20%, charge to full, drain to ~10% and then charge to full and hold that for about four to six hours.  I have the computerized charge and discharge devices.  And this is the accepted procedure for the car within the Insight community.  I am adding the M8.2 manual factory instruction for their battery.  It is remarkably similar to the regimen for Insight LiIon batteries.  Whether anyone follows these instructions or not is your business.  But from my experience with my car and the Insight community which has a few battery tech propeller heads and suggests a course of action similar to what Leica says, I'm following the instructions.  YMMV

"A new battery only reaches its full capacity after it
has been fully charged and – by use in the camera -
discharged again 2 or 3 times. This discharge
procedure should be repeated every 25 cycles.
To ensure a maximum service life of the battery,
it should not be exposed to constant extremes of
temperature (e.g. in a parked car in the summer
or winter)."