Which battery works well in Leica M8?

Dopaco

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello:
When I bought my M8, it came with a battery that, in principle, has always worked well. I bought a second spare battery, this second battery is causing problems, it is charged, but my M8 does not detect it and shows it in the window as unloaded, but the reality is that the current arrives because the M8 works.

The problem with all this, is that I can not know how much battery is left, I can only know, when the battery is completely exhausted and the current does not reach the camera.

To avoid that I want to buy a battery that everything works correctly.

Where can I buy batteries that do not have this problem? ... If you leave a link to buy it it would be better ..

As other times I am enormously grateful.

a greeting

Apparently no off-brand batteries are known to work, good news is leica sells the original batteries, bad news is they are 100+ bucks for one.

What I'm also interested in is why people say their off-brand batteries die after a few charges, that is very weird and if someone can tell me an off-brand battery that doesn't die after a few charges, then I wouldn't mind buying an off-brand as backup.

My wife and I use M8/M9 since long and with only original batteries (about 10 batteries in all).

We use them regularly in turn, as we numbered them all.

Some batteries die 4 or 5 years use and others work well after 7 to 9 years.

I don't know why.

So we can buy (expensive 115€ ) new Leica original M8/M9 batteries, as here, Paris Montmartre

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Dopaco said:

Hello:
When I bought my M8, it came with a battery that, in principle, has always worked well. I bought a second spare battery, this second battery is causing problems, it is charged, but my M8 does not detect it and shows it in the window as unloaded, but the reality is that the current arrives because the M8 works.

The problem with all this, is that I can not know how much battery is left, I can only know, when the battery is completely exhausted and the current does not reach the camera.

To avoid that I want to buy a battery that everything works correctly.

Where can I buy batteries that do not have this problem? ... If you leave a link to buy it it would be better ..

As other times I am enormously grateful.

a greeting

Return the battery to where you bought it and ask for a replacement.

Thank you very much for such a quick response.

Buffm, how horrible, Leica accessories are too expensive and prices change a lot from one place to another. (€ 115 and € 149).

In the Official Distributor of Leica Spain costs € 110.

https://www.leicamarbella.com/search?q=Bateria+Leica+M8

https://www.fotografiarte.es/catalogo/accesorios-varios-leica-m/2756-2-m9-m-bateria-leica-para-m8-me.html

Is it the original? ...

3 hours ago, a.noctilux said:

Mi esposa y yo usamos M8 / M9 desde hace mucho tiempo y solo con baterías originales (aproximadamente 10 baterías en total).

Los usamos regularmente a su vez, ya que los numeramos a todos.

Algunas baterías mueren a los 4 o 5 años y otras funcionan bien después de 7 a 9 años.

No se por que

Así que podemos comprar (caro 115 €) baterías nuevas Leica original M8 / M9, como aquí, Paris Montmartre

You have to take many photos, the average is 5 batteries per camera.
I take fewer photos, I think that with 2 or 3 Bateías for me is more than enough.
regards

We were talking about total batteries.

Some are recycled long time ago.

With time passing, batteries loss their charges (from 100% beginning to about 40-50% when they have 3-4 years old).

We take only two batteries for a day photos, plenty enough.

Second hand batteries are not good idea : bought some but their aging was very quick.

I think battery technology will take an order of magnitude leap in our lifetime. Hang in there (says an owner of a Prius. :))

Yeah, I bought me mate a Prius for Christmas as I enjoy my 4WD Rav4 V6. She loves the Prius. It's gotta be a guy vs gal thing.

Edited by pico

If the price of a battery is a concern, the choice of a digital M might not be the most wise one. Lenses are stratospherically expensive, batteries and other batteries astronomical There are plenty of other choices. The CL takes Panasonic and clone batteries and lenses are not cheap, but in a more or less affordable range. Other brands offer plenty of high quality products in lower price brackets.

If you want a super car, but don't want to pay a fortune in maintenance, don't buy a Ferrari but a Porsche...

1 hour ago, Dopaco said:

Thank you very much for such a quick response.

Buffm, how horrible, Leica accessories are too expensive and prices change a lot from one place to another. (€ 115 and € 149).

In the Official Distributor of Leica Spain costs € 110.

https://www.leicamarbella.com/search?q=Bateria+Leica+M8

https://www.fotografiarte.es/catalogo/accesorios-varios-leica-m/2756-2-m9-m-bateria-leica-para-m8-me.html

Is it the original? ...

The  B&H price is in $, not Euro. Yes, that is the price of an original battery. Those are the only ones that function optimally. All third-party ones have drawbacks, some more than others.

3 hours ago, jaapv said:

If you go to that link, scroll down to the "Leica 14464 Overview" and read the Battery Statement. Your spare might be part of the referenced bad batch.

6 hours ago, jdlaing said:

Click where it says “read more”

Seen that on "read more":

Leica has just announced a possible problem regarding its lithium-ion battery (catalog number 14464) for the M8, M8.2, M9, M9-P, Monochrom and M-E that was manufactured between the end of 2015 until the beginning of 2016. Select batches of batteries produced during this time include a defective electronic component that displays false information relating to the charge level of the battery.

• With the Leica M8 and M8.2 cameras, use of these batteries will result in the battery icon on the top LCD not showing at all.

• With the Leica M9, M9-P, and M-E, use of these batteries will result in the charge status being displayed as 100% regardless of the true charge level.

For customers who purchased batteries recently or suspect their battery was produced during this time period, please contact Leica Customer Care directly at +1 201 962 9930 to receive a replacement free of charge by verifying the manufacturing numbers on the battery.

Good to know that.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dopaco said:

Thank you all for your information.

I think I'm going to buy the original of € 110.

In Amazon I have seen this Ref. 14464 for 69 €, although I have doubts that it is a fake.

Maybe not a fake but at this point it could be very old stock. Best to buy from a dealer where you can return it if faulty.

• Like 1

The experience that I have in shopping through Amazon, I have always been able to return defective items and quickly offset the money spent.

This is the battery that costs € 69 ...:      https://www.amazon.com/Leica-14464-Lithium-ion-Battery-Rangefinder/dp/B000UA0JMO

It is very similar to the one announced by H & B that costs € 149.:   https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/461931-REG/Leica_14464_Rechargeable_Lithium_Ion_Battery_f.html

The Battery that sells for € 110, is the one that most resembles the original that came with the camera ...:   https://www.fotografiarte.es/catalogo/accesorios-varios-leica-m/2756-2-m9-m-bateria-leica-para-m8-me.html

iew photo:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

You may wish to do what i did for 10+ years. Forget about original Leica batteries, buy 4 or 5 cheap third party ones and replace them only when they are fully discharged in the camera.  Worked fine for me but there is no harm to try anyway :).

• Like 1