Anti-halation

Steve Ricoh

Specially for this propose I remember the MACO IR820 Aura.
But it is not available any more. Maybe it is possible to get some old ones.

Foma, I would say is not in general appropriate for that. Used the Fomapan 100 some time and it never has an glow. Guess the best for this might be the Foma 320 Retro. But I have no expirerience with it in this aspect. To my findings it looked pretty grainy. Guess overexposing 1 or 2 f-stops might help.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...
On 2/22/2019 at 8:39 AM, Steve Ricoh said:

I've been looking for a film with an ineffective anti-halation layer to induce glowing around light sources in the frame. Someone said Foma might be the one. Any experience to report, ...anyone? 

Kodak emulsion 5222 (Double-X) lacks one and will produce such halos although perhaps less so than the examples I've seen with Cinestill. Prints beautifully too, believe it or not. My scans? Not so much.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Double-X EI250 in Adox Borax MQ. MP, 35mm Summicron ASPH @ f/2, 1/15

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Steve Ricoh said:

That's the glow I'm after, very cinematic. 

I've only come across one supplier in the UK and they sell it in 27 exposure cassettes, otherwise it's roll your own from 100' or 300' lengths.

I buy 400' on cores from Kodak. It's not as cheap as it was a few years ago but I should be grateful they're finally sensitive to their market. Call Kodak UK and see what they say. If you're testing now just get the re-spools (27?) If you truly want to commit, 400' could last a long time; enough to absorb the price, tax and shipping, and if you like it enough you might just forget about both.

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, semi-ambivalent said:

I buy 400' on cores from Kodak. It's not as cheap as it was a few years ago but I should be grateful they're finally sensitive to their market. Call Kodak UK and see what they say. If you're testing now just get the re-spools (27?) If you truly want to commit, 400' could last a long time; enough to absorb the price, tax and shipping, and if you like it enough you might just forget about both.

Makes sense to try it before committing to a bulk purchase, and my mistake it is in 400' lengths - enough for more than a life time.

https://ntphotoworks.com/product/kodak-double-x-5222/

This is where I got my ‘short’ bulk roll from to give it a try https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/KODAK-EASTMAN-DOUBLE-xx-5222-35MM-x-25ft-BULK-B-W-NEG-PRINT-FILM-200-600-ASA/232649438179?hash=item362afcb3e3:g:0RIAAOSwDFNWE0bU. If you have the kit to roll your own, works out ok but obviously not as cheap as if you buy longer lengths, which they also do.

Regards

• Like 1

Long ago some associates put highly reflective mylar or aluminum foil on the pressure plate to enhance 'glow', however later emulsions improved to defeat such measures.

• Like 2