Viewfinder cropping

Snowman

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

I have been an X Pro2 user for a number of years and looking to change to the Q or maybe the Q2 whenever that comes out.

I have a few questions and was wondering if any Q users would be kind enough to help answer the questions below..

1.  I see it uses crop markings in the EVF for 35mm, 50mm etc. However instead of crop markings is it possible to just view in the EVF
     the actual 35mm, 50mm size as to me at least, anything outside the crop markings might be a distraction

2.  Being a 28mm, if a 50mm (or 70mm in the case of the Q2) image is selected is there any 28mm distortion?

3. Roughly, I'm wondering what crop image size the Q2 will be at 70mm?

Thanks for your help,

Nick

I should debunk something, there is no 28mm distortion into 50mm crop. Not even into 35mm crop

28mm distortion only appear on the outside part of 28mm images. Not in the middle. 

35mm crop will act as a f/1.7 28mm lens in front of a 1.25x crop sensor, which is slightly bigger than APS-H such as M8

50mm crop will act as a f/1.7 28mm lens in front of a 1.79x crop, which is slightly bigger than m4/3.

75mm crop will act as a f/1.7 28mm lens in front of a 2.68x crop, which is the size of 1" sensor. 

Just picture a 25mm m4/3 lens in front of a Lumix G or Olympus OM-D : photos will not have 25mm typical distortion. Only 50mm like one, or lack of instead.

Edited by nicci78
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, nicci78 said:

I should debunk something, there is no 28mm distortion into 50mm crop. Not even into 35mm crop

28mm distortion only appear on the outside part of 28mm images. Not in the middle. 

35mm crop will act as a f/1.7 28mm lens in front of a 1.25x crop sensor, which is slightly bigger than APS-H such as M8

50mm crop will act as a f/1.7 28mm lens in front of a 1.79x crop, which is slightly bigger than m4/3.

75mm crop will act as a f/1.7 28mm lens in front of a 2.68x crop, which is the size of 1" sensor. 

Just picture a 25mm m4/3 lens in front of a Lumix G or Olympus OM-D : photos will not have 25mm typical distortion. Only 50mm like one, or lack of instead.

Thanks for the information here.

On 2/22/2019 at 9:30 AM, Snowman said:

1.  I see it uses crop markings in the EVF for 35mm, 50mm etc. However instead of crop markings is it possible to just view in the EVF
     the actual 35mm, 50mm size as to me at least, anything outside the crop markings might be a distraction

No - you see the full 28mm field of view with the crop markings showing what will be within the 35/50mm image filed of view.

FWIW, some people see the ability to see what's just out of shot to be an advantage - depends on personal preference I suppose

• Like 1

Best way would be to keep a little bit of out of field. Ex:

35mm crop : 28mm view with 35mm frame lines

50mm crop : 35mm magnified view with 50mm frame lines 

75mm crop : 50mm magnified view with 75mm frame lines. 

Actual Q 50mm crop lines are too small 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I was thinking about the same thing today and wonder why it isn’t implemented that way. We know the EVF can zoom as shown by the manual focus function. 

If the crop function is implemented the same way in the Q2 for 70mm crop then it’ll be guesswork as to what might be in the frame or not. 

Maybe a a firmware update can make that optional ? Personally I hardly ever use the zoom mode but when I do everything outside those lines is distracting.