Street vs Starter Kits?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

4 hours ago, TheEyesHaveIt said:

Thank you all! Definitely will grab the 18-56 as it is best for travel. Still contemplating the 23 vs 35 for a small fast prime as a companion.

I have tried most combinations and would recommend the 18-56 for all outdoor/good light conditions and combine with the 23/2 for low light. It’s light, fast enough with good iso performance and sharp. 

Eventually you will get them all (or most of them anyway) so I suggest you grab the harder to find optics first hahahaha.

Seriously, if you're shooting street grab the 23 if you do more emotive portraiture or low light, grab the 35 lux.

For now, that 18-56 will do you proud.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Marac said:

The 23mm Cron is smaller, lighter, and only f2

Why this slightly derogatory qualification "...only f2" ? For many users the lens is used at smaller apertures than f2 for most walk-about applications. It is quite capable of giving good separation of sharp and less sharp planes.

1 hour ago, wda said:

Why this slightly derogatory qualification "...only f2" ? For many users the lens is used at smaller apertures than f2 for most walk-about applications. It is quite capable of giving good separation of sharp and less sharp planes.

I believe the OP was asking for a comparison against the 18-56 zoom (@ 23mm i assume).

I would never degrade the 23mm as it is one of the lenses I love to use on my CL. Though I shouldn't really have to explain myself, I will. ONLY F2 as opposed to F4'ish on the 18-56 zoom at 23mm. I do hope you understand now and that I have cleared up any concerns you may of had.

Regards.

Edited by Marac

Advertisement (gone after registration)

After looking all year (2018) for the 11-23,  I finally found a second hand lens on a TL2.

I had never even thought of buying a TL2 until I tried it.

It now has the 18mm attached and fits in a pocket as a Leica should.

The CL has 11-23, 18-56 and the 55-135 in a rather small Sirui bag and is a great travel outfit.

On a recent trip to Wetzlar the M10 with 35 summicron was not used much at all.

Pigs and mud spring to mind.

Marac, I take your point. The Summicron is most useful indoors where the zoom needs higher ISO to obtain satisfactory exposure. I have always linked faster prime lenses as partners to zoom lenses in a travel kit.

• Like 1