Firmware 3.1 causes USB - PC link to fail ?

Spad

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Had a Leica Q for a few months with firmware 3.0, no problems. Updated to 3.1 so it works with the phone app on wi-fi but now using the USB - PC cable supplied does not cause the camera to show up as a disk drive as before.  Leica Mayfair think the feature was dropped due to it not being used much. I'm an electronics engineer and I think it's better to use the USB link rather than un-plugging the SD card multiple times to download the photos, this approach could cause wear to the card slot contacts in the camera and could also weaken the SD card holder contact springs.

I'm sure many people do un-plug the SD card and have had no problems  … yet.  However, I have USB connected Canon SLRs for 20 years also with no problems and why remove a feature with a firmware upgrade ?

I'll be happy if I'm wrong and there is a trick to make it work but tried Windows 10 and 7 with no luck.  Of course I can get the photos on the phone via wi-fi now but I need them on the PC...

• Like 1

Respectfully, you are the only person I've heard of on the forum downloading photos this way. There may be others, but I do not remember seeing their posts. I suspect that Leica did eliminate the feature partly to encourage the use of the Fotos app as well as to reinforce simply using the SD card. I've never found any reliability issues with the SD card slot on with the Q or any of the many Canon cameras I've owned over the last 20 years. I also do not like depending on the camera battery being charged well enough to download photos. Personal preference. I use an IMac which has a built-in SD card slot so it is very easy for me to download photos to LR using this technique. It would have been nice if Leica did remove the feature that they would have informed users about that. Perhaps it's a bug and not a feature removal. Good luck making it work for you. 

I had totally forgotten that there is a USB port.  Maybe my LIM's case blocks it.

FOTOS works in the field -- copy a keeper to phone, send it, download while card(s) when back home... Simple, elegant, reliable.

2 hours ago, Spad said:

I'm an electronics engineer...

Hmmm...   if you were a mechanical engineer I might pay a bit more attention to your concern.   ;)

In my admittedly limited experience I've never had an SD card slot failure.   I have had USB connector failures.   Perhaps that biases me against USB.   But mostly for me it is a matter of speed.   My card reader is USB.  The camera is USB 2.   Unloading cards is 10x faster using the card reader.