Shots taken with 11-23mm zoom?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I found one of these new and jumped on it for my new CL.  It arrives today but I'm wondering if I'll have much use for it so I'm thinking of just selling it for one of the primes.  I'm hoping those of you who own it would be willing to post some shots with it and give me your impressions.  Thanks in advance.

Amy

I have posted quite a few shots with this lens on the CL forum since getting it in the autumn.

I enjoy using it. As with all ultra wides, I find I have to watch my composition at the wide end. Unless I 'anchor' the composition with a correct vertical or horizontal, the result can look a bit queasy. And distortion at the side edges does faces no favours at all in wide-end shots.

Edited by LocalHero1953

Sorry - I was editing my post even as you replied. 

At the moment it sits on my CL all the time (except when replaced by the 60mm for short while recently), because it's fun to use as a carry-around lens in the street and interiors. When my grandchildren arrive next week for a few days, I expect I'll put the 18-56 back - I don't have to get so close to them, which risks distortion with the 11-23.

It's easy to make eye-grabbing dramatic shots with an ultra wide, but I guess that's an effect that can be overdone

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

5 hours ago, Astropap said:

I found one of these new and jumped on it for my new CL.  It arrives today but I'm wondering if I'll have much use for it so I'm thinking of just selling it for one of the primes.  I'm hoping those of you who own it would be willing to post some shots with it and give me your impressions.  Thanks in advance.

Amy

Amy: some photos taken with the 11/23. It is a wonderful lens. Versatile in that it gives you wide angle but can be used @ 35mm perspective as well.  The first 2 shots were taken with the 11/23. As an alternative, there is also the Voigtlander 15mm vIII, which is much less expensive and does a great job as well.  Rob

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 4

1 hour ago, Astropap said:

Thanks!  

A couple of more shots from my trip to Warsaw this past summer. Taken with TL2 and 11/23.

Rob

• Like 6

One more.

• Like 6

Amy, it's an absolutely dreadful lens. So out of the kindness of my heart I'll take it off your hands and even let you have some used Canon gear in exchange for it, let me know what time works best for me to swing by this afternoon.

Amy, I jest, I think you'll love it especially for landscapes... as a people lens, well there are better choices.

It may slow you down as you will have to take care with composition in order to avoid distortion and puzzling perspectives, however slowing down is not always a bad thing.

As Rob demonstrates so ably it is capable of gorgeous captures.

Enjoy it.

All the best

George

• Like 4

13 hours ago, ropo54 said:

Amy: some photos taken with the 11/23. It is a wonderful lens. Versatile in that it gives you wide angle but can be used @ 35mm perspective as well.  The first 2 shots were taken with the 11/23. As an alternative, there is also the Voigtlander 15mm vIII, which is much less expensive and does a great job as well.  Rob

Impressive!

• Like 1

I just spent some time in Florida with the 11-23mm. Except for a couple shots with the Ricoh GR everything in this album was shot with the Leica T and the 11-23mm.

Flagler Beach 2019-26 by John Campbell, on Flickr

Cheers, jc

Edited by jkcampbell2
Edit URL to album
  • Like 6

It's a wonderful lens particularly if you like to shoot UWA. If distortion is not your thing make sure to keep it level and its just like any other lens. Both this and the following picture are at 11mm. 

• Like 10

• Like 11

Here are two shots, just walking around admiring all the cranes filling the sky, with the 11-23:

C1120025 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr CL 11-23@23

C1120024 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr CL 11-23@14

• Like 2

It's really an all-purpose lens.  From landscapes

C1090396 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

to groups shots (I don;t have much trouble with distorted faces at the edges or corners)

C1090424 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

to close-ups (the 11-23 can shoot closer and sharper than either the 18 or 23 primes, and closer than the 35/1.4)

C1090466 1 by scott kirkpatrick, on Flickr

• Like 3

Its a no-brainer.....IQ is so much better than the 18 which I sold to get it.   makes a great standard lens to keep on all the time and in combo with the 35 1.4, the ideal setup to cover 50 equivalent and lower.   I think you'd be hard pushed to differentiate 23mm shots with the 23 summicron (aperture excepted) ....it really is THAT good...ps I got mine mint/used for £900 but it is worth the full price imho

My absolute favourite lens on the CL. When I go out with only one lens with me, it's the 11-23. Here in the Stuttgart municipal library at 11mm.

Edited by WeiterWinkel
  • Like 14