Wide-Angle screw on filter for Q?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I’m looking for a 49mm screw on filter to make the Q wider angle FOV than 28mm. I do not remember seeing any discussion on the forum of this type of “filter” except associated with macro. Perhaps its not possible with the Q, but I formerly owned a Fuji X100 and such a filter exists for that camera. 35mm—>28mm as I remember  

My purpose is to have wider than 28mm for photographing cathedral ceilings. This is the single reason I’d be tempted towards an M camera with a 16-18-21mm lens. 

I’m trying to avoid carrying my Canon 5D3 and the gorgeous, but bulky and heavy 11-24mm lens. No, I don’t expect to get to 11mm with some kind of attached “filter” lens. Somewhere around 21mm would be a  big improvement.

This idea may also be a bit nuts due to severe distortion and vignetting, so I’m asking as an idea and not that I’m yet willing to commit to this path.

Thanks to anyone with insights. 

No help for you, Dan. But just to say that a neighbor owns the Fuji wide and telephoto filters, and I once (admittedly very quickly) tried to fit it on my Q--to no luck. But I was thinking of asking him again, to give it a try--just for fun.

• Thanks 1

Ricoh GW-3 0.75x wide-angle conversion lens works with the Q. It gives you 21mm equivalent. 

It just screws into the 49mm filter thread. 

https://leicarumors.com/2017/02/02/you-can-use-the-ricoh-gw-3-21mm-wide-angle-conversion-lens-on-the-leica-q-camera.aspx/

Edited by nicci78
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, nicci78 said:

Ricoh GW-3 0.75x wide-angle conversion lens works with the Q. It gives you 21mm equivalent. 

It just screws into the 49mm filter thread. 

https://leicarumors.com/2017/02/02/you-can-use-the-ricoh-gw-3-21mm-wide-angle-conversion-lens-on-the-leica-q-camera.aspx/

Excellent. Thank you. I was not aware of that screw on lens. The reviews on B&H are excellent. $149 is worth trying it. 

• Like 1

Disappointed with the Ricoh GW-3 Wide Angle Conversion Lens. I wanted to try this as a possibility for a wider angle solution. I ordered this lens from B&H and received it today. I immediately did a comparison with the standard 28mm versus the 21mm FOV with the lens attached. I am surprised at how poor the add-on lens performs. I expected some vignetting and non-linearity around the edges. I did not expect the entire image to be so soft. Everywhere! I was careful taking the photos. Same settings. 1/500, f/5.6, ISO 6400. Very soft! The images shown are crops of the same center of the lens area.  Several years ago owned a Fuji X100 T. I used the Fuji wide-angle lens and it worked very well. Pretty sharp and not a lot off vignetting. Not that I think Leica should be motivated to do it, but I wish they made a lens for the Q similar to the Fuji lens for increasing the FOV. Maybe the lens I received is defective, but I'm not willing to put more time into this inferior solution. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

Advertisement (gone after registration)

49 minutes ago, Siriusone59 said:

Thanks Infiniumguy for posting these results.  I believe I'll just continue to rely on my feet as a substitute for changing focal length. 🤔

I’m with you on moving, except I cannot get further away than the floor of a cathedral. I love photographing really great ceilings. 28mm is very limiting. 

This is the Melk Abbey Church ceiling in Austria. 28mm will not do this justice. This is a terrible image I grabbed off the internet. You can see how dramatic the ceiling is. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, Infiniumguy said:

I’m with you on moving, except I cannot get further away than the floor of a cathedral. I love photographing really great ceilings. 28mm is very limiting. 

This is the Melk Abbey Church ceiling in Austria. 28mm will not do this justice. This is a terrible image I grabbed off the internet. You can see how dramatic the ceiling is. 

Yes, I see.  I wonder if 21mm would really give you enough over the 28. Of course as you've shown us, that really isn't going to work unless someone makes a better converter.  I've not yet tried it with photos from the Q but stitching two or more images might be an option worth exploring.  

2 hours ago, Siriusone59 said:

Yes, I see.  I wonder if 21mm would really give you enough over the 28. Of course as you've shown us, that really isn't going to work unless someone makes a better converter.  I've not yet tried it with photos from the Q but stitching two or more images might be an option worth exploring.  

Thanks. I’ve tried stitching ceilings in the past. Its often disappointing because almost always there are columns all around the perimeter. Stitching them rarely looks right in my experience. 

I acquired a Canon 11-24 f/4 lens several years ago for just this purpose. Its spectacular and rectilinear. Amazing really. Heavy too, but worth the trouble. At this point that looks like what I’ll use on my Canon 5D3 specifically for ceilings and rotundas. I’ll use the Q everywhere else. I had hoped to leave the Canon gear at home and just rely on the Q. I now have abandoned that idea. Photographing the ceilings with high quality is a priority. Sometimes I’m allowed to use a tripod. Whenever that’s not possible, i raise the ISO and try to be very still. I take several shots and choose the sharpest. 

I don't know what type of cell phone you have, Dan. But Moment sells ultra-wide attachments to their special (very reasonably prices) iphone cases. I'm happy to lend you my ultra-wide for your trip. That's my solution when I travel with the Q. It's pretty good (Moment is considered the best lenses for cell phones since Zeiss got out of the business), though it's not of course a Q.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, bags27 said:

I don't know what type of cell phone you have, Dan. But Moment sells ultra-wide attachments to their special (very reasonably prices) iphone cases. I'm happy to lend you my ultra-wide for your trip. That's my solution when I travel with the Q. It's pretty good (Moment is considered the best lenses for cell phones since Zeiss got out of the business), though it's not of course a Q.

The Moment lenses make the FOV 18mm. That is pretty amazing. I’ll think about this and if that would be enough. I appreciate your offer. Thanks. I’ll probably order one if it looks viable for me. 

• Like 1

On 2/22/2019 at 5:33 PM, Infiniumguy said:

With Photoshop, you can piece together many shots to make one huge image. This works particularly well with things that aren't moving, like ceilings. Probably depends on version, but for CS6.5, the commands are "Automate", then "Photomerge". Gives you the equivalent of a lens that's as wide as you need it to be. This is a merge of three different pictures taken from the same spot.

Edited by Cartaufalous

6 minutes ago, Cartaufalous said:

With Photoshop, you can piece together many shots to make one huge image. This works particularly well with things that aren't moving, like ceilings. Probably depends on version, but for CS6.5, the commands are "Automate", then "Photomerge". Gives you the equivalent of a lens that's as wide as you need it to be. This is a merge of three different pictures taken from the same spot.

Thanks. I’m familiar with the merge feature and use it occasionally for panorama shots. Unfortunately, it does not seem to work well for ceilings with vertical columns leading up to it. The perspective gets very distorted as the camera is tilted to take multiple photos. I’ve decided when I next go to europe, I will take along my Canon 5D3 and 11-24mm lens. Its really good for just this kind of shot. Not a good subject for the 28mm Q. 

Just buy CL + excellent Super-Vario-Elmar-TL 11-23mm f/3,5-4,5

This combo is sharper than Q at 28mm equivalent around f/4. So what’s not to like ? 

Actually it shines at every focal length and it accepts standard filters. 

Of of course it is not the same budget as a wide converter

7 hours ago, nicci78 said:

Just buy CL + excellent Super-Vario-Elmar-TL 11-23mm f/3,5-4,5

This combo is sharper than Q at 28mm equivalent around f/4. So what’s not to like ? 

Actually it shines at every focal length and it accepts standard filters. 

Of of course it is not the same budget as a wide converter

All good advice. Reality hits! 

The budget my wife manages says take the Canon 5D3 and the 11-24 lens all of which I own. 

My thoughts are an M-10 and the beautiful 16-18-21 Leica Tri-Elmar. 

I do have a lot of positive thoughts about the CL and various lenses. 

This is definitely a first world problem. 

• Like 3

But how much for the super expensive tri-Elmar 16-18-21 alone ? 

I know two fellow M users that ditch their Wate for the CL + 11-23. 

Just like the Q made all M 28mm not relevant anymore. CL + 11-23 are making all slow wide angle M not worth of the trouble : Tri-Elmar-M 16-18-21 + Super-Elmar-M 18 or 21 + Elmar-M 24

Any lenses that require the use of Visoflex, of any optical external viewfinder or even worst the use of the frightening Frankenfinder, should not be use with a M camera at all. Buy a CL instead 

Edited by nicci78
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, nicci78 said:

But how much for the super expensive tri-Elmar 16-18-21 alone ? 

I know two fellow M users that ditch their Wate for the CL + 11-23. 

Just like the Q made all M 28mm not relevant anymore. CL + 11-23 are making all slow wide angle M not worth of the trouble : Tri-Elmar-M 16-18-21 + Super-Elmar-M 18 or 21 + Elmar-M 24

Any lenses that require the use of Visoflex, of any optical external viewfinder or even worst the use of the frightening Frankenfinder, should not be use with a M camera at all. Buy a CL instead 

Thanks. I’ve never owned an M so my comments about it and the 16-18-21 are purely theoretical. I’m confident your guidance on the CL + 11-23 is sound. I have been perusing the CL thread and the images and IQ are impressive. Some of the images defy that it’s a crop sensor camera. Really good.