Leica M2-R, a relative rarity

Pecole

Advertisement (gone after registration)

In 1960, the US Army ordered 2,000 Leica M2S with a special rapid-load take-up spool, and later cancelled the order. The cameras nº1248201 to 1250200 were finally designated M2-R and sold to the general public by Leitz New York in 1969. I had one in my Fontenelle collection, nº1249689. It must be noted that the special take-up spool was not lost : it is standard on Leica M4 and later models.

The images show the camera in general, the top cover with the special marking and serial number of the camera equipped with a dual-range Summicron, and finally the M2-R with a Summicron 35 and  Leicavit MP.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Are you sure that the last picture is of an M2-R?  It looks like a normal M2. As you correctly say, the M2-R uses the same quick film loading as the M4, and as such has no removable spool.  The inside of the M2-R baseplate is the same as that of the M4.

But more to the point, the M2-R will not take a Leicavit MP, just like the M4 will not.  At least without modification.

19 minutes ago, M9reno said:

Are you sure that the last picture is of an M2-R?  It looks like a normal M2. As you correctly say, the M2-R uses the same quick film loading as the M4, and as such has no removable spool.  The inside of the M2-R baseplate is the same as that of the M4.

But more to the point, the M2-R will not take a Leicavit MP, just like the M4 will not.  At least without modification.

What an eye and a knowledge!! You are perfectly right, and the error comes from both a wrong classification of my photo-archives...and my aging brain. Apologies and thanks.

• Like 1

Also note that the original US Army contract designation for the camera was KS-15. The KS-15 was simply engraved M2 on the top plate, but had the rapid load system of the not yet released M4. The KS-15 was produced and procured by the US Army, but the Army cancelled the balance of the order, not the entire order. The KS-15 in my collection, when I purchased it, was thought to be a normal M2. The truth was revealed when I opened the camera and much to my surprise, I realized I had a KS-15 camera. I also have the civilian M2-R camera, which was how Leitz New Jersey marked them when they disposed of the unused cameras in the KS-15 batch.

I was a Chicago daily newspaper photographer when various military Leicas were set free to a few retail outlets. Some were available at Altman Camera in Chicago. FWIW to me and my peers the editions were unremarkable. We were entirely unaware of collectibles.

So, is anyone interested in a virgin black enamel button-rewind M2 or never used black enamel M4? :)

Edited by pico

Pico, don't forget Herman Camera. A number of "odd ball" Leica items went through Herman, most notably the Hammertone MD cameras. Only ten of these were made. I brokered the sale of one of these for a long time family friend who was a professional photographer in Chicago. I was amazed at this camera while I had it in my possesion prior to sale, and used it as the inspiration for the LHSA Hammertone camera limited edition.

• Like 2