Super Basic Rangefinder Question

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hey all-

I’m not sure if this exact topic has been covered before- wasn’t exactly sure which search terms to go for.

I recently purchased a Leica M7 with a Summicron 35 ASPH. I primarily shoot street photography but have up until now been utilizing point and shoots and SLRs.

My question is: how much wiggle room do you have with the focus on a rangefinder? Do your images need to be PRECISELY aligned, or when shooting on a sunny day at f/8 and ISO 800, for example, will you still manage to have a relatively sharp image if the image in the rangefinder is slightly misaligned? As I’m shooting people that are constantly moving around, and attempting to zone focus, I’m just curious what I can get away with.

Again, sorry if this has been answered a million times and I’m simply new/uninformed.

Edited by totallymorgan

Hello Again Morgan,

By the way: You just asked a perfectly reasonable question.

Because the ONLY unreasonable question: is: The 1 that you DO NOT ask.

And the part of that question that is unreasonable is: Not asking it.

Also: This Forum is a good place to ask your question as well as many others like it.

Best Regards,

Michael

Edited by Michael Geschlecht
  • Like 1

The optics of SLRs and Rangefinders are identical. If an SLR has auto-focus where the camera makes all focus decisions outcomes might be different depending upon our intention. If a person has become dependent upon auto-focus he will likely be disappointed with a rangefinder unless he finds selective focus particularly valuable, and worth learning.

With 50 years experience I submit that auto-focus is excellent if one can over-ride it.

Edited by pico

Morgan,

have a look at your Summicron 35mm, you have your answer there in "depth of field" scale engraved on the lens barel.

With 800ISO film, this must work well, if you don't plan to print big.

If the scales "8" are within the "misalignment in rangefinder", it's in the "depth of acceptable/tolerable fussiness".

Just seen ...

rangefinder question...

Recent topic, here may answer same question with details and more.

Edited by a.noctilux
  • Thanks 1

Wow, you really are a newbie. 😂

That is exactly what the DOF scale on the lens is for.  It tells you the range of acceptable focus.  It is very accurate, in fact on film I find it to be conservative.  

Have fun getting up that learning curve!

Advertisement (gone after registration)

7 hours ago, Michael Geschlecht said:

Hello Again Morgan,

By the way: You just asked a perfectly reasonable question.

Because the ONLY unreasonable question: is: The 1 that you DO NOT ask.

And the part of that question that is unreasonable is: Not asking it.

Also: This Forum is a good place to ask your question as well as many others like it.

Best Regards,

Michael

Michael - you are very gracious but I just have to ask why you didn't offer an answer - just two feel-good posts but no answer.  Hmm...

OP. Here is your homework.

Google, find and learn how to use DoF calculator.

Then look at the DoF scale of your lens and understand what it means.

Then try different distances and see how much DoF you'll get and how it is related to focus in RF patch.

Here is the hint. If at f8 and with 35mm lens on my M, I don't use RF focus on the street. I focus by position of focus tab. Before I have VF to my eye. :) 

• Thanks 1

28 minutes ago, Ko.Fe. said:

OP. Here is your homework.

Google, find and learn how to use DoF calculator.

Then look at the DoF scale of your lens and understand what it means.

Then try different distances and see how much DoF you'll get and how it is related to focus in RF patch.

Here is the hint. If at f8 and with 35mm lens on my M, I don't use RF focus on the street. I focus by position of focus tab. Before I have VF to my eye. :) 

THANK YOU! Super helpful information. 

• Thanks 1

• 3 weeks later...

Be as precise as your vision allows when focusing. The rf focusing mechanism is very accurate absent of any mechanical issues. The rest then becomes a creative choice based on the aperture you select.

BTW..you ave come to the right place to ask questions and learn.

Best regards,

Bob