wbabbott3

A modest proposal for a "New" Leica R

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks, those are very intriguing proposals, the "take away" being that it is obvious, at least to some of us, that an SL camera that emulates the "dear departed" R camera, is doable, i.e., Sony has done something similar.

Why not carry the utility of M and R manual focus lenses into the future with emulations in the SL? The mechanical match up with adapters has been done. Surely optical emulations are within reach.

Please take a look at the Canon R, just to see in what direction research moves. Canon has implemented a dual pixel sensor. It seems, that this works for MF too.

I wish Leica had made the R-SL adapter with mechanical linkages to detect aperture and operate auto-stopdown - of course interfacing both with the camera electronics. That would have been the true R solution.

Without that I use my R lenses on an A7 body, using spot metering and exposure lock. Quite like the way I used my R4 - but with one button focus mag.

That seems like a very nice solution.

For those of us who no longer have R lenses, the Leica TL2 with three zooms which cover 16 to 202mm, 35mm equivalent, with a 24MP sensor, seems to be a revived autofocus R9-DMR, and in essence, maybe it is the up-to-now mythical R replacement.

On 8/10/2019 at 5:09 AM, TomB_tx said:

I wish Leica had made the R-SL adapter with mechanical linkages to detect aperture and operate auto-stopdown - of course interfacing both with the camera electronics. That would have been the true R solution.

Without that I use my R lenses on an A7 body, using spot metering and exposure lock. Quite like the way I used my R4 - but with one button focus mag.

I could not agree more! It should not be so difficult given the fact that the R-cameras has this technology in their mount, and adding a simple electro-magnet for this function should be fully possible! I would easily pay 1000-1500eur for such an adapter and buy into the SL-system. For Tele lenses and macro focus peaking works great, but I have difficulties trying to focus a stopped down elmarit 19 or 24. Yes , I can “just open up”, but then the “solution” becomes even more “half-measure”. And even fully open I find the elmarit 19 to be difficult to focus using focus peaking.

Being an engineer, I have even seriously thought about buying a defect R4/4s/5, cannibalize the mount and see if it’s possible to make such an adapter. It would of course need some signals from the SL, and only Leica knows the protocol, but with an oscilloscope one can find out a lot of things.

Edited by mmx_2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks. I wish us all well. Maybe Novoflex could devise an auto focus R adapter, as the say they have for Nikon G series lenses. I have't seen one yet.

I just loaded my R6.2 and fitted the Super-Elmar-R 15mm lens. It is amazing how much easier it is to focus this lens with hyper-critical accuracy on the digital CL than on R6.2 that it was designed for, even with the split-image focusing screen.

Just sayin' ... :D

G

Thanks, glad it works for you. Sorry, I only have M lenses to use with the SL and the hand & finger ergonomics do not work for me. Maybe I will try M-with-CL or -TL. All things considered, I believe the TL with its there zooms is the "promised" R9 replacement, even though it is not full frame. The MB levels of the current ASP-C exceed what we got in R System days. Think about that: R system with AF.

A good friend has abandoned Leica for Sony bodies and uses M lenses with an adapter that works beautifully.

As it was said, "You pays your money and takes your choice."

Thanks again for sharing.

Edited by wbabbott3
Clarity

22 hours ago, wbabbott3 said:

A good friend has abandoned Leica for Sony bodies and uses M lenses with an adapter that works beautifully.

Not that beautifully, it depends on your standards. An interesting article : https://gmpphoto.blogspot.com/2014/11/the-pixel-race-does-it-really-make-sense.html.  touches on this aspect. I'll cite a paragraph from it:

This can easily be verified.  Several other camera manufacturers allow the use of Leica M lenses on their cameras.  Take the Sony A7r for instance.  Mount a Leica 18mm Super Elmar-M ASPH on the Sony and take a few test shots.  Then compare those to the results obtained from a Leica M.  The difference is more than obvious.  But it doesn't even require an extreme wide angle lens like that.  Take a 35mm Summilux ASPH, and you will find similar difference.  The Sony sensor just isn’t capable of handling non-retrofocus lenses anywhere near as well as the Leica M does.

It is also interesting because it discusses the (non)sense of lens quality vs. pixel count.

Thank you. Note that I did not say that I agreed with him as I have no data one way or another.

Thanks for the lead. I'll see what it says.

I have used Leica equipment since 1973 and have never found a reason to change.

Bill

4 hours ago, wbabbott3 said:

I have used Leica equipment since 1973 and have never found a reason to change.

Bill

I too (even if Leica user from 1991).