Not impressed with Leica's support, unfortunately..

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thanks for the reply John. Fact is that I had already sent an email to customer care while the engineer looked on the camera, stating all the details I have already stated here and getting back this response:

28th Of January

Dear mr. Zampelis,

Thank you for your mail with the detailed fault description.
The camera has reach us in the meantime, but is still being tested. I will forward your mail to our technician.
As soon as the test result is in, you will receive further information through [...].
The repair order number is: [...] and can be traced under the following link: [...] 
Enter the above mentioned order number.

Thank you!

I have zero complaints from the customer service person that sent me the email. Her reply was immediate and I was able to track the progress through the link she sent me.

Edited by zampelis

To be honest I am reading this thread and I feel utterly bad, I don't know, I probably shouldn't start it. I mean, I love this camera, I love this company and the only thing I see this thread can cause is spoiling their reputation. I think it is wise to just wait and see what will happen when I send the camera for the second time to them (currently with the local dealer). I don't want to spoil the companies reputation or even cause trouble to the engineer because of a mistake.. I am sure that it will be fine, will keep you updated with any advances..

• Thanks 1

3 minutes ago, zampelis said:

To be honest I am reading this thread and I feel utterly bad, I don't know, I probably shouldn't start it. I mean, I love this camera, I love this company and the only thing I see this thread can cause is spoiling their reputation. I think it is wise to just wait and see what will happen when I send the camera for the second time to them (currently with the local dealer). I don't want to spoil the companies reputation or even cause trouble to the engineer because of a mistake.. I am sure that it will be fine, will keep you updated with any advances..

It's impressive you can write this type of post after how they treated you (but I'm not surprised based on what I believed I have learned about you on the forum over time). Having said this I think you are actually doing Leica a service by highlighting issues like this. Most of us who use and love Leica probably believe these issues happen less often with Leica than other vendors (I know I do and it's probably actually true), but still there is nothing wrong with someone at Leica hopefully reading this forum and perhaps following up by doing something to minimize these issues in the future.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Leicas repair turnover is the reason why I stopped using their cameras professionally. 

last year my leica Q’s strap lug broke the same day as my Fuji GFX developed a sensor problem. I sent both cameras off the same day. I had the Fuji back in my hands with a replaced sensor box on the third day. 

The Leica came back six weeks later with two of the bottom plate screws missing. and a bill for 400€. and a note that they wouldn‘t warranty that repair, because of the ding the camera received when it fell when the lug gave up. 

no way would I rely my business on this attitude. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/1/2019 at 11:07 PM, Jaclo said:

Just wondering if you have gotten your camera back yet?  I hope so.

Finally, after several months of waiting, I have a new silver Q. 

The Leica support stated that the only thing they could do would be to replace the lens with a new black one (limited stock of silver lens?) and also after request replace the top and bottom plates, turning the camera essentially, to a complete black one - from a special silver edition to a normal Q. They also mentioned that even by changing the lens the clicking noise would not go away (!).

Instead of changing the lens to black and essentially devaluating the camera, and having also the noise still there, my dealer offered to buy the defective one and sell me a new one. I had an insurance policy and it covered damages made by impact so they offered to pay the difference.

Don't ask me why the engineers suggested that the noise would stay there even after changing the lens with a new one.. I don't know why... would they only change the lens barrel and not the focus ring?? they stated FULL lens replacement, so for me that didn't make any sense whatsoever. Didn’t they realise exactly what the problem is? The clicking noise was clearly an indication of something being misaligned in the lens after the impact. How is it possible replacing it with a new one wouldn't remove the noise? But then again, who knows, I am not an engineer..

I now have a new Leica Silver that has NO noise whatsoever when you turn the lens focus ring and I can't be more happy. If I break or drop this one, I would rather sell it straight away as defective rather than having to go through all this again. At the same time I am really happy with the effectiveness of the insurance and very grateful to these people.

That's it, no more no less.. Time to start taking photos again :) 

Edited by zampelis
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

44 minutes ago, zampelis said:

Finally, after several months of waiting, I have a new silver Q. 

The Leica support stated that the only thing they could do would be to replace the lens with a new black one (limited stock of silver lens?) and also after request replace the top and bottom plates, turning the camera essentially, to a complete black one - from a special silver edition to a normal Q. They also mentioned that even by changing the lens the clicking noise would not go away (!).

Instead of changing the lens to black and essentially devaluating the camera, and having also the noise still there, my dealer offered to buy the defective one and sell me a new one. I had an insurance policy and it covered damages made by impact so they offered to pay the difference.

Don't ask me why the engineers suggested that the noise would stay there even after changing the lens with a new one.. I don't know why... would they only change the lens barrel and not the focus ring?? they stated FULL lens replacement, so for me that didn't make any sense whatsoever. Didn’t they realise exactly what the problem is? The clicking noise was clearly an indication of something being misaligned in the lens after the impact. How is it possible replacing it with a new one wouldn't remove the noise? But then again, who knows, I am not an engineer..

I now have a new Leica Silver that has NO noise whatsoever when you turn the lens focus ring and I can't be more happy. If I break or drop this one, I would rather sell it straight away as defective rather than having to go through all this again. At the same time I am really happy with the effectiveness of the insurance and very grateful to these people.

That's it, no more no less.. Time to start taking photos again :) 

Great news. Thanks for the update.

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

Dear Zampelis,

I just went through your posts in this topic and realised I face the same problem.

Also when camera is turned ON and OIS is OFF there is a harsh noise coming from lens...

More important:

- at closer distance (1-3m) the lens is somehow enough sharp

- from 3m up to infinity I constantly get soft pictures. Not totally unsharp but more soft than for example my Fuji APS -C system not to mention M9 photos sharpness.

I think this lens wobble will become achilles heel of Leica Q...

vor 4 Stunden schrieb Cobram:

Also when camera is turned ON and OIS is OFF there is a harsh noise coming from lens...

Well, i think that you found your problem as the Q nor theQ2 makes a harsh noise when switching on the camera with OIS on or off.

is somehow enough sharp

You must be kidding, the Leicas Q and Q2 lens is shaper than a Samurai Sword....

I think this lens wobble will become achilles heel of Leica Q...

I thinks that the Lens Wobble you mentioned is the archilles heel of YOUR camera, not the Q camera.

Just send it to Leica and they will fix that, if in warranty then you are lucky guy, if not, well then you how much (if) Leica will charge you to fix that certainly annoying problem.

Chris

I got curious about the "harsh noise" issue so i checked with my Q2.
Should @Cobram have a Q, i did not noticed a harsh noise either, noise level was the same as my Q2 and as below

OIS ON: lens makes a noise when switching on, less noise when switching off, seems as lens is focussing from min to max and maybe OIS calibrating
OIS OFF: lens makes a noise when switching on, less noise when switching off, seems as lens is focussing from min to max and maybe OIS calibrating
OIS AUTO: lens makes a noise when switching on, less noise when switching off, seems as lens is focussing from min to max and maybe OIS calibrating

There is no difference between OIS  on/off/auto and i would not describe the noise as harsh, for me it's the normal noise a digital camera makes when switching on.

At this point i suggest @Cobram to bring the camera to a LEICA shop or check with another same model camera as he has also issues with soft/wrong focus.

Chris

Dear Chris,

Thank you very much for your answer and support. 

You were right about my generalization statement "I think this lens wobble will become achilles heel of Leica Q". My conclusion was too fast/emotional.

As a matter of fact I sent yesterday my camera to the service.

If interested I will report about findings.

Thank you and have a nice day

vor 8 Stunden schrieb Cobram:

As a matter of fact I sent yesterday my camera to the service.
If interested I will report about findings.

Hi Cobram,
please let us know what was wrong with your camera as your roblem seem to be very unique.

To let you know what i mean by "sharp as a samuria sword" have a look at this full res photo
I hope your camera comes back fixed and also sharp as a samurai sword so that you can enjoy it.

Chris