"No love for the 75 APO-Summicron-M?"

james.liam

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Comparo i did a couple years ago:

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 3

I bought the 75mm APO Summicron when it was released to see what it was like compared to the 75mm Summilux, and to see if I could have a smaller, lighter version. I liked it so much I never sold it. I use it much more than the Summilux, which I think is somehow better suited to film bodies. They are both excellent lenses, and I would be happy with either one. But for versatility, the APO is hard to beat with modern bodies. The gap between them in performance widens as our digital cameras get better. If you want to resolve 50mp, the APO will be the better choice. 

I am in Berlin and went to the Leica store today and compared my 75 APO M to the 75mm APO SL, and so far I could not tell any major differences other than handling. Surely, the AF is very nice to have, and the specs on the 75mm APO SL look superb, but I could not find any fault with the M version either...at least on the 24mp S1, and shooting a few frames out the door. This is a good thing for me, as I do not think I need another Leica lens in the 70-75mm focal length!! 

• Like 3

I used the 75 APO on film for a few years but found that it was too close to 50mm. Optically, however, it is truly amazing and I also didn't have any problems focusing it at closer distances. It is quite heavy, and as I recall a bit front-heavy too. But build quality is really very nice indeed. I instead use the 90 Elmarit-M which in my view has similar sharpness and is sufficiently distant from 50mm to give me good spread among the focal lengths. It is quite a bit lighter and less "voluminous". Ultimately if I don't use a lens enough, which was the case with the 75 APO, I will sell it.

• Like 2

On 4/15/2019 at 5:33 PM, Stuart Richardson said:

I am in Berlin and went to the Leica store today and compared my 75 APO M to the 75mm APO SL, and so far I could not tell any major differences other than handling.

In my case, I find the M superb, although it doesn't like backlighting at times (severe loss of contrast).  However, the SL version is a step up.  Cleaner images, more contrast, even backlit.

The M lenses are great, but there is a reason that other lenses are bulkier.

• 2 weeks later...

The Apo Cron 2/75 is my favorite portrait lens. Too sharp...who cares. 

Its just marvelous i dont “need” a 50 anymore. 

• Like 1

Apo Summicron 2/75mm 

Edited by SmokeSolid
  • Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Apo Summicron 2/75mm 

Athens Parthenon

• Like 2

On 5/7/2019 at 2:42 AM, mmradman said:

SmokeSolid, who cares if lens is sharp or not, model is hot.  Day is dull so thank you for posting those.

We need a new thread; Show us your best model to show-off your Leica lens!

Lol that will be a cool thread.