"No love for the 75 APO-Summicron-M?"

james.liam

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 10

• Like 5

I have the cron, stellar lens, clean and sharp, really sharp.  Its not to large or heavy to carry for the day. sometimes I think of the 90 APO but its just to bulky for walk around - for me.

Personally I would highly recommend this lens

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Am 15.2.2019 um 20:14 schrieb sblutter:

If you don't use 75's that often or on a budget - the Voightlander 2.5 is excellent

75mm is the max. focal length I like to use with my M10 (90mm Frame ist to small)
I use the 75mm Heliar f2.5 too and for me actualy there is no alternative on this planet (bokeh, size, weight)
Hope that Cosina will come up with a new and native M-Version!

• Like 2

On 2/15/2019 at 7:48 PM, TheGodParticle said:

We have a nice choice of tools to select from, for the purpose we want to put them to use towards.

It’s nice to have a choice based on aperture / price / size / weight / MFD / APO or non APO / focus throw and filter size to name a few. 

Some samples taken with the APO75:

Wonderfull photos!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I use my 75 Summicron a lot, and I have not had any focus difficulties or other problems with it.  I often use it interchangeably with my 50 Summilux.  I get good results with both.  Probably in order of frequency of use, I probably use my lenses in this order: Summicron 35, Summilux 50, Summicron 75 and--a very distant fourth, an APO Telyt-M 135.

• Like 1

I originally bought the 75mm Summicron for use on an M8, and it has continued to be a much used lens.  I also own a 75mm f2.5 Color Heliar, and that lens is actually a better complement to my 35mm v4 Summicron and 21mm Super Angulon.  That said, the Summicron APO continues to be a great lens that I keep, still use on the M10, although it has needed recalibration of focus a couple of times over the past few years.  I got rid of a 75mm Summilux,  because I found it heavy, and harder to consistently hit focus.  A lot of the musician/club photographs on my site have been with the Summicron over the past 12 years I’ve owned and used it.  I think of it as a “tight 50.”

• Like 1

I must admit I had similar experience to others on this thread in that I've owned both the Summicron and the earlier Summarit 2,5 and found that I had focus issues with the Summicron and also felt that the APO effect was slightly too contrasty (and given to almost a 'stepped' contrast) for my tastes. 

Having seen the discussion about the floating element I do wonder if that is where the calibration issues exist, as the basic computation should be quite similar to the Apo 50

I found the Summarit much easier to focus and felt that the slightly less saturated colour and smoother contrast felt more realistic to my eye.

At this stage I've no comparison but this is an image taken with the 2,5 Summarit through a kitchen window at about 15 metres, focussed bang on first time

• Like 2

On ‎2‎/‎15‎/‎2019 at 2:54 AM, stephan54 said:

I tried three, but all of them had focus issues. (yes the rangefinder was calibrated and working fine with other lenses). Enough threads on the internet about focus issues.

When you get a good one, it must be a stellar lens.

Mine was also quite a bit off on focus when purchased new. Sent it to DAG along with my M246 body (and a few of my other lenses I use with the monochrome) and it (along with the other lenses) now focus great! A wonderful lens.

5 hours ago, rpittal said:

Mine was also quite a bit off on focus when purchased new. Sent it to DAG along with my M246 body (and a few of my other lenses I use with the monochrome) and it (along with the other lenses) now focus great! A wonderful lens.

I know that calibration trips to Leica are part of the experience, but feel that a brand new lens should function straight out of the box. Although one should accept that a small percentage needs adjusting. From the three lenses I bought new two had a malfunction: the Summilux 50 fell apart as the front section came loose and the Summarit 90 2.5 never produced  a sharp picture, not even after three trips to Wetzlar. In addition I tried three 75 2.0 and two Telyt 135 of which the demo model was sharp and one in another shop was off. Despite this all, I enjoy shooting with Leica.

Edited by stephan54

The newer Leica Summarit M 75mm 2.4 is amazing. It is not comparable to the older 2.5 because the close focusing distance now is 70 cm.

Weight, size and price are very good. I think there is no alternative in this class of lens. 0,4 aperture difference to the summicron is negligible.

The image quality ist excellent. I also have not seen a difference to the summicron.

Thanks for this.  Very interesting thread.  I have the 75 APO Summicron M and for me it has always been the lens I would sell first, if I were to sell any lenses.  Lots of difficulty getting good focus and often not happy with the results.  I have always put it down to user error but maybe the focus issues others report here mean I should have it checked. 

I do not have problems focusing my 50 Summilux, in comparison, with plenty of very pleasing results.

Edited by rob_w

Well - ain't that special!

Reminds me of the original iteration* of the 75 Summilux (1980-82) - also E58, with separate lens hood (à la the early Nocti f/1). And seven elements (but arranged in 5 groups). I look forward to finding out the weight (and the price, but as the commissaire des flics said in To Have And Have Not, "that will arrange itself.")

*Left-hand image: https://www.l-camera-forum.com/leica-wiki.en/index.php/75mm_f/1.4_Summilux-M

I used the C/V 75 f/1.8 Nokton Classic for about 6 months last year - essentially a re-run of the old 73mm Hektor f/1.9 design (6 elements in 3 groups), but with modern coatings. Actually quite decent for documentary and portraits (corners were messy until f/8 - strong field curvature), but lacked the 0.7/0.75m close-focus of the Leicas. And the Mandler cyan tint.