On location photo of my brother

jto555

Outstanding. I would expect him to want a good size print of this to hang in his home. It's a work of art. I really like your lighting technique and I'm sure many forum members will appreciate the detailed explanation.

It reminds me a bit of a famous portrait I've seen of Ernest Hemingway.

Edited by fotografr
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/13/2019 at 7:29 PM, fotografr said:

Outstanding. I would expect him to want a good size print of this to hang in his home. It's a work of art. I really like your lighting technique and I'm sure many forum members will appreciate the detailed explanation.

It reminds me a bit of a famous portrait I've seen of Ernest Hemingway.

Wow, high praise indeed! Thank you very much. I ment to do a behind the sceens photo but I got to wraped up in the shoot.  Oops!

John

John, the high praise was well deserved. I wonder if you might consider adding your website link to your signature here to make it easier for people to view your work. I just went through your site and was extremely impressed. It's all top quality. It's good you used that day to photograph your brother because you probably don't get very much time off.

• Like 2

14 hours ago, RayD28 said:

Wonderful photo and impressive work on display on your website.  Do you normally use the 75 2.0 for portraits?  

Yes, I like to be close to the subject. It is more intimate than using a 135mm for example. However I will use a 135mm if I need to get control of the background.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, jto555 said:

Yes, I like to be close to the subject. It is more intimate than using a 135mm for example. However I will use a 135mm if I need to get control of the background.

Thanks for the quick reply.  Do you ever use 90mm for portraits?  Or do you stick with the 75 because, like you say, you like to be close?

• Like 1

16 hours ago, RayD28 said:

Thanks for the quick reply.  Do you ever use 90mm for portraits?  Or do you stick with the 75 because, like you say, you like to be close?

Another reason I don't use a 90mm, is that I don't have one... 😉

With the 75mm I was less than 2.5m away from the subject, with a 90mm to get the same crop I would have been over 3m away. When you go too far away from the subject they will disconect from the shoot a lot quicker that if you are closer to them. Have a conversation with somebody who is over 3m away. The conversation will not last long, but have the same conversation from less than 1m away and you could be there for hours.  If I had my 50mm with me I would have used that to get me back to a close distance.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 2/13/2019 at 1:17 PM, jto555 said:

I had a shoot cancelled this recently because of the weather. So I did a portrait of my brother. I had been meaning to photograph him for the last couple of years and never got around to it. So with the day off I loaded up the car and went and did it. One 19 inch (48cm) softbox with an AD200 plus grid high to camera right and a gridded AD200 camera left to lift the background a touch.

M240 

75mm Summicron 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Totally agree with the other comments above.  The colors of the flesh of your brother's face are particularly wonderful.    Congrats!

• Thanks 1