246 Sensor in an M-D?

kentishrev

Advertisement (gone after registration)

With apologies for the double posting - I put this in the 262 forum but no one commented. Perhaps here is better....  

My dream camera would be a Monochrome within an M-D style body.  Given the increased technology the in the M10-D, even if Leica chose to launch a Monochrome version, it would not be for me.  Does anyone have any thoughts on the practicality of putting the 246 sensor in an M-D body?

There are services that do monochrome conversions of Bayer array cameras, but I have not seen Leica as a supported camera.  Possibly they would do it on your M262.  Putting an M246 sensor into a M262 requires replacing the main circuit board since the sensor is a component of it.  Since the M262 case is physically different it may not fit even if affordable.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Luke_Miller said:

There are services that do monochrome conversions of Bayer array cameras, but I have not seen Leica as a supported camera.  Possibly they would do it on your M262.  Putting an M246 sensor into a M262 requires replacing the main circuit board since the sensor is a component of it.  Since the M262 case is physically different it may not fit even if affordable.

Interesting, thank you.  No so simple as just replacing the sensor then 😞  I've also been sent some company details of those that might be able to help, so I'll ask there.  Would be really keen to know if there is anyhone on here that has tried or even succeeded.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm ecstatic that someone else was thinking the same thing as I was!  I was under the impression (I suppose incorrectly) that the 240, 246 and 262 all shared basically the same size "case" as Luke referred to it but had not done any real comparison or research.  If you find out anything let me know via messaging please.

Edited by traderjoe
clarification
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

I'm in that kind of "final wish" Monochrom sensor in M-D (typ 262) body.

As Monochrom and M-D user, often I wish that the M-D could "come with mono sensor".

In examination of the two Ms side by side (M246 and M-D), I think that the "blending" would not be possible.