Compressed DNG and LR Profiles

wslam

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I am enjoying my CL a lot and I can foresee using the CL as a travel camera given its compact size and lightweight.

When I travel, I have now switched entirely to using Lightroom CC on my iPad Pro. This is where I really wish Leica could introduce a new 'feature' in a future firmware update! Please allow the option to shoot in Compressed Lossless DNG. My M10P does it. Why not the CL? I can think of a few reasons why it makes a lot more sense to have this option in the CL:

1. The Fotos app uses WiFi to transfer files. If the CL allows for Compressed DNG, it would cut the wireless transfer time in half, and thus also saving battery life for both the camera and iPad when one is on the road.
  2. Given the trend towards using a tablet to store and edit photos on a trip, it makes sense to allow users to shoot in compressed DNG just to save storage space. I do have 1TB on my iPad Pro, but sometimes when I only have my iPhone with me, I do wish I could save some space
  3. While on the road, assuming one has a fast enough connection, I allow LR CC to backup all my photos to the Cloud. With the bloated file size, again it takes longer than necessary.

Given Leica ships a free trial copy of Adobe CC with their cameras, I am really surprised that LR does not even offer the standard camera profiles on the CL as an option. I am happy that Leica uses DNG now I just wish Adobe would do their part for the profiles. 

• Thanks 1

I don't use any Adobe profiles at all. I create my own LR presets that reflect what I want out of my raw image files as a starting point when rendering. 

The Leica FOTOs app transfers files at a snail's pace. Has nothing to do with the DNG file size ... I can WiFi transfer two dozen DNG files from my iPhone to my Mac and vice versa in the time it takes Leica FOTOs to transfer one. The Leica FOTOs app simply needs a lot of optimization to work as efficiently. 

49 minutes ago, jaapv said:

Actually ACR/LR  has far too many profiles for my taste. When I want camera-specific profiles I shoot them myself. 

I do the same. I am simply pointing out that I am surprised how 'lazy' Adobe is given Leica bundles their software.

2 minutes ago, jaapv said:

I don't think file size is very relevant anyway. Storage is cheap and one can always use the Cloud ( maybe a bit less cheap but a reliable storage)

Yes and No...

Good storage still costs quite a bit. Transfer speed (e.g. when you use a card reader to import photos into an iPad) is 'fixed' and if you can half the file size, you half the time needed. I see my M10P files transferring way faster than the CL files simply because of file size.

The other problem is internet connection when backup to cloud on the road. We may all have Gbps connections at home, but on the road, it's a whole diff story. Or try using metered internet connection on a cruise ship? Try...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

25 minutes ago, ramarren said:

I don't use any Adobe profiles at all. I create my own LR presets that reflect what I want out of my raw image files as a starting point when rendering. 

The Leica FOTOs app transfers files at a snail's pace. Has nothing to do with the DNG file size ... I can WiFi transfer two dozen DNG files from my iPhone to my Mac and vice versa in the time it takes Leica FOTOs to transfer one. The Leica FOTOs app simply needs a lot of optimization to work as efficiently. 

I am sure Fotos can use a lot of work to optimize, but comparing transfer speed of my M10P files and the CL, the CL indeed takes (even) longer.

8 minutes ago, wslam said:

Yes and No...

Good storage still costs quite a bit. Transfer speed (e.g. when you use a card reader to import photos into an iPad) is 'fixed' and if you can half the file size, you half the time needed. I see my M10P files transferring way faster than the CL files simply because of file size.

The other problem is internet connection when backup to cloud on the road. We may all have Gbps connections at home, but on the road, it's a whole diff story. Or try using metered internet connection on a cruise ship? Try...

Exactly - precisely why I use a portable hard disk for backup. I don't use mobile devices for serious editing anyway.

33 minutes ago, jaapv said:

Exactly - precisely why I use a portable hard disk for backup. I don't use mobile devices for serious editing anyway.

I am sure we have all worked out our workflow. I backed up to a 2TB portable SSD but I still backup to the Cloud (if at all possible) while I am on the road. That way, when I get back home, my photos will automatically show up on LR.

26 minutes ago, wslam said:

I am sure we have all worked out our workflow. I backed up to a 2TB portable SSD but I still backup to the Cloud (if at all possible) while I am on the road. That way, when I get back home, my photos will automatically show up on LR.

I often do not have a suitable Internet connection ( direct satellite is bl**dy expensive :( )

14 minutes ago, lct said:

I don't understand why the CL does not allow compressed DNG either. Both M10 and M240 can do it so why not the CL? Just curious.

I do not see any option on the M10 to choose DNG compression. What am I missing? Thanks for any help.

18 minutes ago, pico said:

I do not see any option on the M10 to choose DNG compression. What am I missing? Thanks for any help.

Just seen this in the M10 instructions manual (page 220) but i have no experience with the M10 so please forgive me if i'm mistaken.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

30 minutes ago, lct said:

Just seen this in the M10 instructions manual (page 220) but i have no experience with the M10 so please forgive me if i'm mistaken.

No such option on my M10. I believe the M10 DNG is lossless compression, perhaps using JPEG lossless. No harm there.

Edited by pico
  • Thanks 1

27 minutes ago, jaapv said:

A surprising number. Blasting things into orbit does not come cheaply, it seems.

How very freaky is that? How can I navigate through reason to find a connection between my gold crowns and space flight? Dinna vorrie, I'll find the reason. It's gotta be a Dutch thing (bless ya all).

Oh, to brag - me friend the dentist put two full gold crowns in me mouth in 1965 and theyt are still vital. I actually waxed one of them myself.

Edited by pico