Re-sewing Leica leather camera case

jimofnyc

Advertisement (gone after registration)

There are plenty of places to get your Leica repaired but I have no idea about a place to get my camera's leather case re-sewn.  The leather is good but the thread that holds all the leather parts together is rotting away.  Can someone direct me to a good leather repair place that can duplicate the original sewing?  Thanks, Jim

It is indeed not complicated but time consuming, re-sewing all threads, and usually this is required takes 10-12 hours, similarly that long it takes to do full CLA on an M3. There are two difficulties: threads under the bottom screw and (usually) under the leather loop at the bottom. Both shall be removed and fixed again after sewing. If requested I can provide more info and photos next week when back home.

re-sewing has to b done manually, using existing holes, otherwise it does not look nice.

I have restitched many Leica camera cases. The most difficult part to restitch is the nose of the case. This is where the lens in located when the case is closed. I use a very small diameter needle for this and it usually takes 10 hours of careful stitching to do it right. The upper part is most difficult. But when done you will be proud and others will admire your accomplishment. Do not use professional leather repair people. They use machines and destroy your case. Must use the existing holes and align the nose very carefully.

Edited by George Furst
Spelling

In addition to shoe and boot repair folks, you can look for saddle repair shops to repair leather bags.  Double-needle sewing is a little tricky to learn, and hard on the fingers until calluses form to protect the skin.  I've done it (sewing on new leather covers onto car steering wheels, seat repair, etc.) and it can be learned.  Have fun.

Scott

• 1 year later...
On 2/13/2019 at 6:10 PM, jerzy said:

It is indeed not complicated but time consuming, re-sewing all threads, and usually this is required takes 10-12 hours, similarly that long it takes to do full CLA on an M3. There are two difficulties: threads under the bottom screw and (usually) under the leather loop at the bottom. Both shall be removed and fixed again after sewing. If requested I can provide more info and photos next week when back home.

re-sewing has to b done manually, using existing holes, otherwise it does not look nice.

Hi, 

Is it possible to show me how I can remove the bottom screw? 

I'm currently trying to re-sew the bottom part of my IIIc case, almost all the threads are rotten through and the 'floor' is almost totally loose from the rest. Only the side with the bottom screw is still attached. 

lift velvet, you will see something like this

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Then brutally remove the shim. Shim is pressed, try to lift the guard marked, otherwise put bigger flat screwdriver under the shim and lift it. Not a soft way, but there is no other 

• Thanks 1