'Hopelist' for SL2

LocalHero1953

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Am 12.2.2019 um 14:27 schrieb jankap:

- Learn the lesson of the L-mount alliance and apply it to flash: buy into a system by Profoto or Canon/Nikon. Leica doesn't do flash systems well, so use someone else's.

no built-in flash

I think nobody is asking for a build in flash. But many of us want to use the full functionality of studio flashes like Profoto, Hensel or Elinchrom. At least on the SL which is being marketed as a professional camera.

These flashes come with a remote control including TTL and HSS. There are specific versions to work with Canon, Nikon, Fuji, Sony or Olympus. But not Leica.

If you want to use these flashes together with a Leica, you can only use them in manual mode. There is no workaround for HSS.

The system offered by Leica based on Nissin is lacking power and the possibility to use it with common light formers. Therefore not up to the task.

I believe that is what localhero1953 meant and I am 100% in agreement. The SL is a great camera, but not up to par when you need to create or enhance your light situation.

Edited by Stillstand ist Rückschritt
  • Like 4

11 minutes ago, Stillstand ist Rückschritt said:

I think nobody is asking for a build in flash. But many of us want to use the full functionality of studio flashes like Profoto, Hensel or Elinchrom. At least on the SL which is being marketed as a professional camera.

These flashes come with a remote control including TTL and HSS. There are specific versions to work with Canon, Nikon, Fuji, Sony or Olympus. But not Leica.

If you want to use these flashes together with a Leica, you can only use them in manual mode. There is no workaround for HSS.

The system offered by Leica based on Nissin is lacking power and the possibility to use it with common light formers. Therefore not up to the task.

I believe that is what localhero1953 meant and I am 100% in agreement. The SL is a great camera, but not up to par when you need to create or enhance your light situation.

Yes, that's what I meant!

On 2/12/2019 at 12:45 PM, LocalHero1953 said:

It's too late to offer a wishlist for the SL2, but having seen what Panasonic has produced, I hope Leica focuses more on what makes it easy to take great photos, and does not go down the road of all-you-can-eat technology for the sake of the techie reviewer's headlines.

I agree with you, - so keep the SL going for another 5-10 years and when you are ready deliver us a camera with eye-tracking AF, 20 stop DR, 500 MP, all else run by AI (trained on images by the masters of the trade) and only needs one button, kind of an extension of a human eye (code name: thirdeye) with a photographic memory.

1. Automated/semi automated focus stacking 

2.  No tilt screen, just unnecessary mechanical complexity

3. Option of more pixels vs better low light/dynamic range. 

4.  Size and weight is good as is.  Don’t give up build quality 

5.  More profile storage positions 

6.  Plenty of unused non volital memory for future firmware expansion.

7. IBIS would be nice as long as it does not decrease reliability.

1. Keep the body and form factor (love it!)

2. Adjustable EVF brightness and colour (mine is a little too yellow/green)

3. IBIS

4. Tethering that actually works, hopefully with Capture One

5. 36 MP would be nice

6. Being able to revert firmware in case a new version introduces bugs (ahem, v3.4 erratic behaviour with the R-to-L adapter)

7. Lossless compression option for RAW DNG files (currently have to run them through Adobe DNG Converter to keep the sizes down)

Edited by AZN
Typos + clarify points

vor 4 Stunden schrieb Alistairm:

A little off topic, but I am hoping that before the SL2 Leica does what it does with the M cameras and gives us some special editions... an SL Monochrom would be fun.

Personally, I would like to see an SL “Correspondent” edition designed by Lenny Kravitz,...or George Clooney. 

• Haha 2

I hope that Leica doesn't give-in to every request and make the SL into an over-complicated beast. "It's a piano, and a desk lamp, and it can knead dough!"

I hope they don't change the body too much. If they do change it, they should make it use the same battery as the S.

I hope that they choose to be serious about video. The SL was first with 10-bit log external video, but then they never supported their "L-Log" format with LUTs or (ideally) ACES IDTs. Essentially, they gave us the best-performing video DSLR (at the time), and then made it unusable, for anything but one-offs, because of their lack of support. The flip-side of that wish is that, if they don't want to do video right, they shouldn't do it at all.Don't leave your customers waiting for the magical firmware update that will make the camera do what it claimed to at launch (aka: the Sony strategy).

Favour responsiveness over megapixels. The SL was the first mirrorless camera that's fast enough to be usable. Let's keep it that way, and make it better. The shutter delay should be as quick as an M, and the viewfinder should be as close to real-time as technology allows. It's 2019, anyone who really wants a high-megapixel (but sluggish) mirrorless camera will buy it from Hasselblad or Fuji.

The rest should go without saying: a 4-years newer sensor, faster card interface, bigger buffer, faster image review.

• Like 2

24 MP is grossly inadequate for the performance of the 90-280 APO; the color moire and aliasing was clearly evident without pixel peeping.  I don't know what you guys who think 24MP is fine are photographing but I'm willing to bet it's not fine regular detail like fabrics or feathers.

Edited by wildlightphoto
  • Like 1

2 hours ago, wildlightphoto said:

24 MP is grossly inadequate for the performance of the 90-280 APO; the color moire and aliasing was clearly evident without pixel peeping.  I don't know what you guys who think 24MP is fine are photographing but I'm willing to bet it's not fine regular detail like fabrics or feathers.

With rumored 47 mb in Q2 (as well as confirmed in Panasonic S1R), and confirmed 64 mb in S3, the SL2 will - with certainty - have at least 47 mb sensor. 

Edited by helged
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, wildlightphoto said:

You are right, I'm not photographing feathers, and the fabric I photograph with the 90-280 is unimportant and I can process out the moiré. So I don't need much more than 24Mp. As pointed out earlier, there's a downside to more pixels, so I would rather not have them.

But I'm a tolerant guy - I'll let you photograph feathers - you do it well. But please let me, and others, photograph our things.

26 minutes ago, LocalHero1953 said:

You are right, I'm not photographing feathers, and the fabric I photograph with the 90-280 is unimportant and I can process out the moiré. So I don't need much more than 24Mp. As pointed out earlier, there's a downside to more pixels, so I would rather not have them.

But I'm a tolerant guy - I'll let you photograph feathers - you do it well. But please let me, and others, photograph our things.

I don't have a problem with your photographic subjects or preferences.  I don't see how more pixels with an option to use a subset of them would hinder your work in any way.

With my subjects the moire and aliasing from the SL's 24 MP makes the images unusable and this combined with Leica's mind-boggling shitty service means the SL isn't the camera for me.  More pixels is one of several changes that would need to be made before I consider the system again.

• Like 3

vor 17 Minuten schrieb AndyGarton:

Or two bodies? A 24 and a 47 ... the latter called the SLR (I've heard that before somewhere!).

With the L-mount alliance, SL2 users will have an economically attractive option for a second 24 MPx FF sensor body as a backup/for low light situations. The S1 price is $2,499, and no AA/OLP filter.

53 minutes ago, wildlightphoto said:

I don't have a problem with your photographic subjects or preferences.  I don't see how more pixels with an option to use a subset of them would hinder your work in any way.

With my subjects the moire and aliasing from the SL's 24 MP makes the images unusable and this combined with Leica's mind-boggling shitty service means the SL isn't the camera for me.  More pixels is one of several changes that would need to be made before I consider the system again.

I explained this in my original post, while accepting that some people need/want more:

On 2/12/2019 at 11:45 AM, LocalHero1953 said:

- Keep to 24Mp, but, as a consequence, with much better DR and low light performance. I don't want to have to replace my PC to get the image processing power, or to buy/rent extra storage, or to upgrade my broadband connection. Nobody who looks at and appreciates my photos would notice the extra pixels.

- Perhaps a separate version with 47Mp for those who have an audience of one (themselves) for their images, and look at them at pixel level; or for those whose clients demand it as a commercial entry ticket. (I don't like using more pixels to facilitate big cropping - it usually shows up as poor composition and unnatural perspective).

I should have added that I also understand the need for more pixels when dealing with feathers and fabrics.

I should also have added that more pixels increases the processing needs in-camera, which means a bigger battery or shorter battery life.

Increasing the number of pixels is good for some but not for others, and this is increasingly recognised in other advanced cameras: Nikon Z6/Z7, Canon R, Pana S1/S1R, Sony A9, Sony A7iii (better battery life & higher ISO range than A7Riii) etc. I don't know if Leica has the resources to introduce two different versions of the SL2 (cf S1/S1R, Z6/Z7 and A7iii/A7Riii), but I hope they do. I'm sure they already recognise that image quality isn't always about more pixels.

Edited by LocalHero1953
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Both, the Z6 and the α9 it turns out have AA filters (this guy Jim is just brilliant. He looked at the modulation transfer function, saw the surprising strength of the MTF at Nyquist, noted the absence of the zero between 0.6 and 0.7 cycles/pixel, and concluded that there can't be an AA filter in the α9. But he was wrong because he interpreted the graph incorrectly - see here https://www.dpreview.com/forums/thread/4271080. The S1 doesn't have an AA/OLP filter. 🤣

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, LocalHero1953 said:

Increasing the number of pixels is good for some but not for others, and this is increasingly recognised in other advanced cameras: Nikon Z6/Z7, Canon R, Pana S1/S1R, Sony A9, Sony A7iii (better battery life & higher ISO range than A7Riii) etc. I don't know if Leica has the resources to introduce two different versions of the SL2 (cf S1/S1R, Z6/Z7 and A7iii/A7Riii), but I hope they do. I'm sure they already recognise that image quality isn't always about more pixels.

I suppose all this depends on where Leica place Video in their list of priorities and philosophy ..... :rolleyes:

I'd hesitate to second guess them as they have surprised us in the past.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would love Leica to focus a on the video side: 
- IBIS (once you had it, you never want to go back, especially for video)
- Reliable continuous autofocus
- Internal 10 Bit 4.2.2 (maybe ProRes) recording
- External ProRes RAW output (Nikon announced it, Leica needs to follow suit, this is the future and the way to go)
- Headphone and Microphone jack (no adapter solution)
- Thunderbolt 3
- Support for the Panasonic XLR1

Keep the body size the same and provide the incremental updates, such as higher resolution viewfinder, better & faster Wifi (e.g. instant sharing to a phones Lightroom CC library), resolution of rear screen, etc. etc.)

Good times ahead!