New Leica M240 is actually 4.5 years old

Gid

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi,

Just bought a new Leica M240 from a major UK dealer in their "sale". The price is good, but the camera manufacture date turns out to be September 2014. In addition either the battery or charger (or both) is not working so I can't use the camera. Any opinions on the impact of the age of the camera on its longevity? The dud battery isn't a good sign and the dealer didn't mention the age of the camera.

30 minutes ago, Graham (G4FUJ) said:

If the battery has sat on the shelf that long it may well have died.

I'd suggest contact the dealer and explain the situation - I'm sure they would send you a replacement battery.

Actually it will have have died for sure. The internal battery of the camera may be doubtful as well.

1 hour ago, Gid said:

I wouldn't worry too much - the dealer should solve these problems for you - not too difficult, replace both batteries (the internal one by Leica). You've bought a fine camera, once the initial hiccups are resolved, it should serve you well. A car that has been standing in the showroom for 4 years would have a flat battery and tyres too.  ;)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

You may also wish to review the version of firmware installed in your new M240.

The current version 2.0.5.0 can be downloaded from here :

https://en.leica-camera.com/Corposite/Service-Support/Support/Downloads?category=93710&subcategory=93711&type=108942&language=93871

I've had both my M240's since 2016 (or 2015, I forget) but one was a demo and the other a certified pre-owned, so they both are probably from year one of production.  The original batteries (main and internal) still take a charge and hold it fine.  I'm sure the main batteries, being LiION, have lost some capacity, but they're certainly not dead.  Hell I have an Olympus digital camera from 1999 and the battery still takes a charge.  

Btw what kind of battery is the internal one?  LiION or some other?  And what is lost if it dies?  Just date/time setting?  Cause I've left the camera sitting long enough for the date/time to default back, and none of my other memory settings were lost.   I mean, if the internal battery croaks and it's just the date/time I wouldn't personally bother spending to get it replaced.

23 minutes ago, bocaburger said:

I've had both my M240's since 2016 (or 2015, I forget) but one was a demo and the other a certified pre-owned, so they both are probably from year one of production.  The original batteries (main and internal) still take a charge and hold it fine.  I'm sure the main batteries, being LiION, have lost some capacity, but they're certainly not dead.  Hell I have an Olympus digital camera from 1999 and the battery still takes a charge.  

Btw what kind of battery is the internal one?  LiION or some other?  And what is lost if it dies?  Just date/time setting?  Cause I've left the camera sitting long enough for the date/time to default back, and none of my other memory settings were lost.   I mean, if the internal battery croaks and it's just the date/time I wouldn't personally bother spending to get it replaced.

Some other. When the internal batteries go dead they recharge in 24 hours odd the main battery.

It doesn't matter how old the product is when you buy it advertised as 'new'. The warranty starts on the day you receive the product. The dealer who sold it is responsible and must fix any problems or replace the product. Hopefully it will all be sorted out for you very quickly. Then you'll have a product to enjoy, knowing that you bought it at a very good price.

Thanks again for all the helpful comments. A replacement tested battery and charger should be with me tomorrow. The irony of it all is that I bought a new one because I'd had two second hand ones that both had problems.

Update: New battery and charger received from dealer - battery fully charged. Firmware updated and camera registered. Test shots taken and all looking good. Looking forward to getting reaquainted with RF photography - its been a couple of years since I sold my last M8 and a couple more since I sold my last film Leica (an M2). There have been many others before these both digital and film.

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Gid said:

Update: New battery and charger received from dealer - battery fully charged. Firmware updated and camera registered. Test shots taken and all looking good. Looking forward to getting reaquainted with RF photography - its been a couple of years since I sold my last M8 and a couple more since I sold my last film Leica (an M2). There have been many others before these both digital and film.

Nice camera, I still stick with my M246, 240 has gone now.

Check raw image shot at iso 640, I had dead coloumn at that specific setting out of the box and my experience wasn’t unique.