Monochrome Sensor in an M-D

kentishrev

• 2 months later...

Very impracticable. Hardly possible because the sensor of the 246 is a different sensor than the M 10 sensor. 

A Monochrom M-D is always possible when the principle of the M246 Monochrom is followed. But I don't think Leica would opt for a M-D Monochrom because they did not opt for it earlier in the M 240  D version. 

On 2/12/2019 at 9:36 AM, kentishrev said:

My dream camera would be a Monochrome within an M-D style body.  Given the increased technology the in the M10-D, even if Leica chose to launch a Monochrome version, it would not be for me.  Does anyone have any thoughts on the practicality of putting the 246 sensor in an M-D body?

It would be perfect.

The handling of the M-D is a dream. If Leica really would want to stir things up they'd built the M10-M like the MD: put the ISO dial where it belonged for 40 years,, exposure compensation by the wheel dial and on the top plate only the Power button with three settings: Power Off/Power on/Wifi.

That'd mean no fake rewind lever, but apart from that it would be exactly like an M7.

Edited by horosu

The idea is appealing at first glance, but one issue is the lack of highlight recovery from overexposure with a monochrome sensor, compared conventional sensors with three colour channels . At least with the Monochrom camera's histogram I know when I am clipping the highlights and I can make adjustments to the exposure accordingly. This functionality could be made available in an M-D type camera by providing an option to briefly display a small histogram in the edge of the viewfinder frame after each exposure.

• Thanks 1

I remember, decades ago, standing in Kenwood House in London making a picture with my MP and having no clue what the effect of the lighting would be. My friend recently bought his first digital camera ( Nikon ) and he was just looking at the screen to evaluate the lighting.  " That's very convenient ." I thought and since I bought a digital, I still think this way. 

I'm allright with no screen on the back, otherwise, I would have sold my MP. But adding this kind of help in an M10 D feels like putting the cart before the horse. 

• 3 months later...

Looking at image on so small screen even when zooming-in always is kind of deception for me.

When I used one M with back screen, I turned it off since day two.

But screenless Monochrom was my "dream camera" for years since I use M-D.

Monochrom sensor in M-D body would be nice but ...

never more 😇

M (typ 246 ) with LV and EVF when I need is the Monochrom I needed/wanted to evaluate effects of colored filter when I need it = nice use of back screen (or EVF)

and now that I do use more shift lenses, I even appreciate this LCD little view or big view in EVF 😊 more and more.

So I don't need/want screenless Monochrom anymore.