S2 easier to shoot handheld at slow shutter speeds than 007?

alan.y

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Using an S2 and S 70mm again recently, I confirmed my memory that I somehow managed a higher rate of acceptably sharp photos at 1/25 and even 1/15 than on the S007. (That the S007 has a more sensitive sensor is a separate issue.)

This is true with or without mirror lockup. The S2, being overall slower and less capable in low light, makes me more careful, but it also seems that the S2's mushier, less bouncy release button and slightly longer delay in shutter's firing improve stability. I wonder if anyone else has the same experience.

The physical/mechanical differences between them are indeed very subtle--really it's about the (slightly) mushier release button and slightly longer delay in the firing. For whatever reason, these seem to improve my "keeper rate" at slow shutter speeds.

I've used several copies of both, at one point both at the same time, and I've always somehow enjoyed the experience of shooting the S2 a little more (despite its manifest technical inferiority). There's something pleasing about its simplicity and slowness.

• 2 weeks later...

My experience is other way around that S007 is seems easier to hold and get sharp images. S007 has noticeable better damped  mirror and shutter action. The shutter lag is also noticeable less that is almost to a 35mm SLR system level.  

This and LV with CDAF are two of biggest plus compare to S006 to me. Rest feature are not very useful to me at least.  

AF has no improvement though. They seem optimize speed than accuracy on 007. I don't know if it is less accurate without controlled test but definitely not better based on my experience. 

Edited by ZHNL

• 3 weeks later...
On 3/1/2019 at 1:44 PM, ZHNL said:

My experience is other way around that S007 is seems easier to hold and get sharp images. S007 has noticeable better damped  mirror and shutter action. The shutter lag is also noticeable less that is almost to a 35mm SLR system level.  

I would second this. With the S2, I felt that 1/(2x focal length) or even 1/(3x FL) would be necessary in many cases to get really sharp results. Sure, I had my rare 1/30 shot that was tack sharp, but more often than not, I aimed for much higher speeds. On the S007, I can nail just about every handheld shot at any reasonable shutter speed. The mirror and shutter dampening are just so much better. I even wrote an article on it ;)

Night Shooting with the Leica S (Typ 007)

• Like 3