Anyone had any results back on Kodak ProPhoto 100 Colour Negative Film?

wlaidlaw

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 minutes ago, wlaidlaw said:

Those look just like my photos. Often near blown out skies and low saturation on daylight shots. It works fine in lower light but of course, I was mainly using my digital CL for those circumstances, where its excellent high ISO performance comes to the fore and for street evening use, I had taken my 28/1.4 in M mount with me to use on the CL. Ah well - lesson learnt. At least I have over 1000 images taken with the CL to fall back on, plus those taken by my wife, initially on her elderly Leica V-Lux 20 until that finally died and after that on the Sony HX60V, we bought from the Sony Centre in Jodhpur. Unlike UK Sony centres, they were still quite amenable to talking discounts 😀

Wilson

i was lucky i guess as i finished that 1st roll on a horrid cloudy overcast day

I have taken quite a liking to the CL, especially with M and R lenses. Not in love with the cropped sensor, it makes me have to take an extra lens to get the same scope of focal lengths i take with my film M (MA or M4). I have taken to using Ektachrome during the day and then using the CL at night. Seems to be working out just fine. 

• Like 1

Having initially feared from Kodak's original pre-production publicity shots that Ektachrome was going to have the same washed out look of their 1950's version, I have to say I am delighted with it. It is every bit the equal of my previous favourite Afga Precisa CT100 (Fuji Provia emulsion on a warming pale brown substrate), which is now out of production. In fact I think that Ektachrome may be even better, as I think it has a bit of an intentional curve at the foot of its response graph, which means it is not as prone to blocky shadows as the Agfa - well done Kodak! 

I am not a fan of the cool-looking blue/green orientated Fuji reversal films, which apparently are formulated to suit the slightly different colour perception of Japanese people. There are some interesting scientific papers on how colour perception varies between different origin peoples, due to genetic drift/evolution over thousands of years. With today's intermixing, this will probably gradually fade out but almost certainly, not in my lifetime 😀

Wilson

• Like 1

I was never a big fan of the old Ektachrome except for the speed vs Kodachrome 64. But this version only has the name in common with the original and I like it very much. It has become my go to color film. 

Like you I am not a fan blue/green palette and for that reason was never a big user of Fuji film. Just personal taste. As for regional differences I have read the same, what I also know is that people respond more favorably to warmer look than cooler one. There is a professional photographer I know who does fashion that in digital space shoots at 7200K rather than daylight 5500.  He cited some scientific work done on color and perceptions for the reasons. All very interesting, to me at least. 

• Like 2

It slightly surprises me that Fuji have not copied the Agfa Precisa CT100 film, which Fuji made for them and brought out a Provia 100W warmer rendering film than their regular 100F. I much preferred the Agfa look to Provia. It would not take any research, given that they already made the Precisa. I suppose given the rumours of them pulling out of the film business all together other than instant, a new film would be too much to expect. 

Wilson

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1