M10-P ASC 100 Edition

NigelG

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I got the set and it's gorgeous in person! Metal body cap, metal hot shoe cover, black engravings, and even black buttons where you would normally never see them. The color of the gold lens is spot on and it's small stature and does not overpower the body in any way. In fact, the all black body makes a huge statement!

Admittedly, I did not buy this set for any of it's "cinema" performance features, but purely for it's aesthetics.

At first, I too was saddened when the M10 was stripped of video. I also felt Leica should have pushed the technology envelope and offer enhanced video features on all future M's ongoing.

But then I thought about it a bit more and came to the realization that Leica might just be correct in their methods. And that the M has technological barriers that prevent it from ever becoming a great video camera. There's no stabilization on sensor. We are most likely never going to see optical image stabilization in the lens either. Plus, you would never have the option to choose AF due to all M's naturally being manual focus 100% of the time. Without the aid of high tech gimbals and focus pulling mechanics, the M is actually an extremely poor video camera IMO. And adding all those gizmos to make it great at video would in fact defeat the essence of what the M originally stood for.

There are much better hybrid photo/video cameras on the market today. And due to the hardware/software barriers historically and inherently built into the M, can the M ever catch up or even begin to compete in the video market? I'm sure it was a difficult decision to make for Leica. IMO, it was the right move to make. And in the end, I somehow got over my initial disappointment/anger over the fact that we might not ever see a future M with progressed video features.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

• 2 years later...