Jump to content
NigelG

M10-P ASC 100 Edition

Recommended Posts

I’m intrigued by the announcement of the ASC edition which has 2 “Cine Look” modes to reproduce analogue and digital “motion picture looks” and that there are frameline settings for cinema ratios. I assumed these were only available using the included  Visoflex 020 but they are described as “bright line  frames” which implies a variation in the masks of the OVF.

Notwithstanding the hideousness IMHO of the gold 35 summicron ASPH it seems a much more interesting model than most of the special editions recently released........

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Black labels on a black background - and then they slap a ludicrous gold lens on the camera? And a camera honouring the  motion picture industry but which can not shoot video? Seriously?

At least there are some (hopefully) meaningful software enhancements!

Edited by Mark II

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well it is designed to allow still images to be taken to evoke the framing and “look” of either 35mm film or digital movies and allows for the use of pl lenses using the included M-PL mount adapter. It is:

an exclusive professional tool for aiding cinematographers and filmmakers in their search for the truly exceptional visual experience.The two Cine Looks have been developed by Leica imaging quality specialists in collaboration with some of the world’s most influential cinematographers and members of the ASC. While the ASC Cine Classic mode simulates analog 35 mm motion-picture film look, the ASC Contemporary mode delivers the current digital look of contemporary movies.

To make the M10-P “ASC 100 Edition” the perfect tool for professional cinematographers, it will enable users to select from different aspect ratios used in cinematography.Once activated, the corresponding aspect ratios are displayed as a bright-line frame.

The ”ASC 100 Edition” set also includes a Visoflex electronic accessory and a Leica M-PL-Mount. Together with the Cine Looks, and the selectable aspect ratios, this enables the use of the combination as a digital director's viewfinder. The Leica M-PL Mount enables the use of almost all PL mount cine lenses available on the market. The Leica M10-P “ASC 100 Edition” thus provides cinematographers and filmmakers with the ability to view and test scenes with any desired lens before shooting begins.

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The provision of cinema framing ratios for still photography was something recently discussed in the SL forum as a “want” for SL videographers - it seems a little perverse to now provide it on the M platform (unless it will be offered - along with the “Cine Looks” in the new SL???)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, NigelG said:

I’m intrigued by the announcement of the ASC edition which has 2 “Cine Look” modes to reproduce analogue and digital “motion picture looks” and that there are frameline settings for cinema ratios. I assumed these were only available using the included  Visoflex 020 but they are described as “bright line  frames” which implies a variation in the masks of the OVF.

Notwithstanding the hideousness IMHO of the gold 35 summicron ASPH it seems a much more interesting model than most of the special editions recently released........

 

 

It's the kind of thing that Donald Trump would buy

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ah, the irony.

The Leica M made for professional motion-picture cinematographers - and will have a PL-mount adapter for motion-picture lenses - is the one that can't do motion pictures!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It would have been interesting to see Leica make an anamorphic lens to go with the bling as well as some inbuilt processing ( even at the JPEG level ) to suit the chosen aspect ratio - SL users have been asking for the same facility that the XID and Fuju GFX prvide with their XPan ratio ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Let's see if the cine formats become available on the regular M10 in a future firmware,  inbuilt and with APS-C optional mode, even if only in JPEG  !? 

On the SL it is only a framing  accessory not built in with the DNG files.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, NigelG said:

The provision of cinema framing ratios for still photography was something recently discussed in the SL forum as a “want” for SL videographers - it seems a little perverse to now provide it on the M platform (unless it will be offered - along with the “Cine Looks” in the new SL???)

This is exactly what I need for the SL which is my scouting camera. Would be amazing if it had a S35 crop and customs frame lines...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, marcg said:

It's the kind of thing that Donald Trump would buy

Only after claiming it was “Made in the USA” ....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You get the S35 crop, at least approximately, by using a CL lens on the SL, since it then shoots in APS-C.  What happens if you put a PL adapter and a cine lens on the SL?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You can select the crop mode in the menu.

Would be great to have those new LUTs for the M10 ASC as well... don't understand why Leica hasn't made customs LUTs for the normal editions yet. Can imagine there would be demand especially for TRI-X.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Leica usually tends to leave all postprocessing to Adobe.  They have done a little work on codecs for the video modes in the SL but they would think of a LUT as something that's not their job.  I don't have a camera at the office to check this, but when you select an APS-C or other nonstandard crop mode on the SL and mount a normal (not CL) lens, does the DNG contain that smaller size image, or show the full image?  In many cameras, setting a different format affects the jpeg but not the raw file.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
53 minutes ago, sebben said:

You can select the crop mode in the menu.

Would be great to have those new LUTs for the M10 ASC as well... don't understand why Leica hasn't made customs LUTs for the normal editions yet. Can imagine there would be demand especially for TRI-X.

 

No crop mode on the M10 yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I suspect it will be "limited" to the number of people who can afford it or can actually use it's potential.....I think it will be rather pricey. The images release don't seem to show any unique series numbers.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×