CL with Contax Lens

Ravi

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hello, - my first go at posting on this forum!

I have recently got a CL and although I am still learning with it I am enjoying it immensely and hope I found a camera which will service me well for years to come.

I have a black body, a Leica hand grip and 2 lenses, the 23mm prime and the 18-56 Zoom.

My father was /is a keen photographer and has some beautiful old film cameras and lenses which we get out and fiddle with from time to time.

He has a couple of Hasselblads and also a pair of Contax RTS's which have some Zeiss Planar T* lenses mounted. One of these is a 50mm 1.4 prime which could would have an equivalence of circa 75mm on the CL and hopefully be a lovely portrait lens. Its a really nice compact size and would balance on the CL quite well I think.
Looking through my Dad's RTS, the image is clear and really easy to focus with an oblique prism in the centre. 
I have searched for an adapter and can only find this novoflex adapter on the "speed graphic" website. hopefully the "conrad/Yashica fitting would be OK and the adapter costs £106. It says that it loses all connections but retains infinity focus. What does this mean in English? Can I use aperture priority, let the camera sort out the shutter speed and I will manual focus? Will I see the same split prism focussing aid in the EVF and rear LCD?

I would be very interested in hearing if any other users have experience of a Contax Zeiss Planar lens on the CL body, and also the adapters used.

Thanks in advance!

Ravi.

https://www.speedgraphic.co.uk/body_adapters/novoflex_leica_t_sl_adapter/24630_p.html

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by Ravi
Addition of photo

It's probably best to buy an M Adapter L and then a Contax/Yashica to Leica M mount adapter for the CL. This gives you the most options in use. 

You will NOT see a split image focusing aid in the CL viewfinder. Given the above mount adapters, you'll set the aperture and focus on the CL screen, using magnification and/or peaking as focusing aids. 

Novoflex adapters are very good quality and are usually well dimensioned to allow the full focusing range. You'll have Aperture Priotity and Manual metering modes. 

I use this lens with the "direct" Novoflex adapter, but on my SL, and am very pleased with the results. It's easy to focus (wide open) with the EVF, and I don't see why the CL would be much different.

Sorry couldn't resist :)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Thank you Marac for your encouraging words and photo of your very handsome set up! I like the case, but the handgrip prevents me from fitting something like this.

I think I will plump for the Novoflex as this is also considerably less expensive than the Leica M-L adapter, although I accept that the M-L adapter will give more general flexibility.

I'll have to check out the other T* lens that my Dad has, I can't remember which it is but its physically larger than the 50mm, and I spent the whole time just playing with the 50.....

• 3 years later...

Contax was my camera of choice back when I was shooting film, and I still remember the brand fondly. I used to have a lovely collection of C/Y mount Zeiss glass that I wish I still had. They are such great, tactile lenses and of course the IQ is fantastic. I agree that the 50mm f/1.4 is nice but another one to check out is the superb 85mm f/1.4. Although on the CL the 50mm would fulfill a similar role and would be more light and compact.

Edited by MJB