Leica M to Leicaflex lens adaptor

WPCello

Hello WPCello,

Welcome to the Forum.

There is an adapter that is made specifically for using Visoflex II, IIa & III lenses on the Original Leicaflex.

It is called a 14127.

Sometimes this adapter has been modified to be used ALSO on a Leicaflex SL. Then it is marked 14127*.

Either adapter is equally usable on the Original Leicaflex.

Both of them allow a person to use the in camera's external meter to take a reading. 

Then: This in camera meter reading MUST be transferred from what is displayed on the adapter to the Visoflex lens.

Because: There is NO mechanical, or other, connection between the camera & adapter AND the actual lens F stop setting ring.

There is also an adapter 14167 which will fit in the same way as a 14127. But, it is not connected to the meter so readings must be done with a separate meter from the meter in the camera..

All of this works with less bother than it is to explain how it works. No matter which adapter you choose. You will like the camera & lens combination, meter or not, because they were specifically designed to work well together.

Best Regards,

Michael

• Like 1

12 hours ago, WPCello said:

I have a Telyt 400mm for Visoflex II that I wish to use on a Leicaflex (original, not SL or R).  Not sure which adaptor to use?  I realize that this topic has been previously addressed in other forums on this site, but after reviewing same, still not sure.

Is the Telyt 400 you will be using the f5.6 or f6.8 version? The latter, although slower is a bit better. They are both very simple single group/2element long lenses (not telephoto) and suffer from both spherical and chromatic aberration. The centre of the image is just about adequate but the sharpness falls off quite a lot towards the edges of the image. The APO corrected 400/f4 lens is dramatically better than the earlier lenses but of course, far larger and massively more expensive, given its rarity and original cost.

Unless you feel you have to use your Leicaflex, there are far better alternatives around than the old long Telyt lenses. I sold my 400/560 kit off last year as I rarely used it. I now use an 80-200 Vario Elmar R plus an APO 2X extender on my R9, that is much better than the old Telyts ever were or a 300/600/1200 mm Zeiss modular Tele-Tessar kit on M240, SL and CL cameras with a Novoflex LEM-CONT adapter on the M plus a M Adapter L on the SL and CL. Another reasonable medium telephoto is the 280/f4.8 Telyt, especially the Mark 3 version of this lens. At one point I had three of these lenses, a Mk.1, 2 and 3, so could compare how much better the Mk.3 was. This mounts on a Leicaflex/R with the same 14127, 14127*/14167 adapter as the long Telyts. Again I sold them all when I got my Tele-Tessar kit. 

Wilson

• Thanks 1