SL-Summilux 50/1,4 Focusing issues

ldhrads

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I've had this lens for a while, but rarely use it on the SL.  Typically I have the 24-90 mounted.  However, I am truly a 50mm shooter on my M bodies and really do prefer a fixed focal length.  

The problem that I seem to have with this lens is getting the focal point to be exactly where I want it.  I know that this isn't a lens problem so much as a setting problem in the camera.  I have taken several portraits only to find that the forward eye is slightly blurry and the back is sharp.  Not sure how best to correct for this?  Use the face detection setting in the SL?

Help?

Thanks

Lawrence

Have you already upgraded to the latest firmware?  When visiting the Leica store in Amsterdam, they told me some 24-90 had a front focus issue, which was taken care of through the new firmware.  Could it be possible the same goes for the 50mm?

Edited by larsv
typo

On 2/8/2019 at 11:18 AM, ldhrads said:

I've had this lens for a while, but rarely use it on the SL.  Typically I have the 24-90 mounted.  However, I am truly a 50mm shooter on my M bodies and really do prefer a fixed focal length.  

The problem that I seem to have with this lens is getting the focal point to be exactly where I want it.  I know that this isn't a lens problem so much as a setting problem in the camera.  I have taken several portraits only to find that the forward eye is slightly blurry and the back is sharp.  Not sure how best to correct for this?  Use the face detection setting in the SL?

Help?

Thanks

Lawrence

Could it be that the phenomenon you describe is tied to how thin the focal plane is? I have the SL 50 Summilux and it is tack sharp, without front focus. But its focal plane wide open is as thin as the Noctilux, it seems. Maybe the slight difference in focus between the two eyes is attributable to that?

49 minutes ago, johnbuckley said:

Could it be that the phenomenon you describe is tied to how thin the focal plane is? I have the SL 50 Summilux and it is tack sharp, without front focus. But its focal plane wide open is as thin as the Noctilux, it seems. Maybe the slight difference in focus between the two eyes is attributable to that?

Yes, that's exactly what's happening, but I can't seem to get focus on the front eye!