Seville One Challenge: Change Date to 5-Oct?

Sandokan

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Dear All, 

12 Oct (second weekend of October) is the current date for the 2019 One Challenge. 

I propose that due to the 12 October being the National Day for Spain (Day of Hispanica) we change the weekend of the One Challenge to the week before. 

The primary reason being logistics - hotels will be more expensive and restaurants/cafes that are open will also be a challenge. And One Challenge is enough, methinks. 

I propose 5 October for the Saturday of the One Challenge and dinner. 

What say you? 

Tripadvisor says several times that Hispanic Day is not a big deal in Sevilla; there’s a military parade in Madrid and the banks are closed, but tourist things are open. So it might not be very crowded because this year it’s a saturday and it might not even be more special than every other weekend. It’s not like Good Friday, Tomatina Day or other fiesta’s. 

As mentioned in the other post we cannot make the weekend of the 5th and we've already paid for flights for the original date. I always understood that once the place and date had been announced that was considered final so that people can start to make travel plans. It would certainly be a big disappointment if the date was to be changed after commiting to be there. 

• Like 3

Due to a new job (or lack of one!) at that time, I'm not sure I can make it, so I've not booked this time. Changing now does not impact me. It is also good to be aware of/consider these things.

However, based on Tom's note and some of the other feedback, it is my feeling that it is best to keep it on the original date to avoid confusion and disappointment. If the festivities cause difficulties, perhaps the Challenge events can be held outside of the main city/central areas.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, lanetomlane said:

As mentioned in the other post we cannot make the weekend of the 5th and we've already paid for flights for the original date. I always understood that once the place and date had been announced that was considered final so that people can start to make travel plans. It would certainly be a big disappointment if the date was to be changed after commiting to be there. 

Fair comment Tom. I suppose what I meant to say is I don’t mind either date, but if folks have already committed money on fares then perhaps we should stick with the 12th?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Dear All, 

Reading the advice above that it is not really a big holiday (ie not like 4 July nor 1 Aug) and that most restaurants and bars (the most important thing) will be open. 

To accomodate those who have already made plans and bookings, 

I propose we keep the date of 12 Oct. 

• Like 5
  • Thanks 3

If I may quote from the first One Challenge, it sets the idea behind willingly trying something, going into the unknown: "The group that finally assembled on the day was totally mixed in terms of experience of ‘street photography’, time using Leica equipment, distance travelled and familiarity with the location. Many chose to use unfamiliar lenses, bodies or film stock on the day because they entered into the spirit of the Challenge." (Bill Palmer).

I also vote to keep the 12th of October and face the music.

• Like 7

2 minutes ago, octo said:

If I may quote from the first One Challenge, it sets the idea behind willingly trying something, going into the unknown: "The group that finally assembled on the day was totally mixed in terms of experience of ‘street photography’, time using Leica equipment, distance travelled and familiarity with the location. Many chose to use unfamiliar lenses, bodies or film stock on the day because they entered into the spirit of the Challenge." (Bill Palmer).

I also vote to keep the 12th of October and face the music.

I remember that day well. Very cold, constant drizzle and almost darkness at 2pm! Definitely a challenge!

• Like 2

Hi Guys,

I am certainly hoping to make it to Seville.  This will be my first One Challenge so can some-one explain the ropes? 

Do we find our own accommodation and then meet up at a given location and time on the Saturday, or  do most participants stay at the same hotel? 

I aim to fly out on the Friday afternoon from Stansted; should I  fly back on the Sunday evening or the Monday? I seem to remember reading something about a group meal one evening.

If all this is covered in another post please direct me to it.

Susie

• Like 2

Hi - you can find instructions in the threads for previous Challenges but basically yes, make your own travel and hotel arrangements (some people will say where they're staying if you want to be with a few of the others) and turn up at the time/place set for the Saturday.

There's usually a meet up arranged for the Friday evening for anyone who's about and the 'official' meal is on the Saturday evening. Details of that will no doubt be posted here in due course.

It's all very casual.

Hi Susie, 

Welcome to the One Challenge. Most people arrive on a Thursday or Friday. There is always a Friday night beer gathering. The set dinner is on the Saturday evening - in Seville most likely around 9 or 10pm, when the early restaurants open. After dinner, the informal night challenge starts. 

The Challenge is in the afternoon on Saturday. We meet at noon for a glass of wine and lunch. The two hours start after you take your first shot and you may only take 36 shots in total (one roll of film as we old folk call it). After that, you have a few weeks to select one photo to submit and voting determines the winner. 

Many folk leave on the sunday but others stay on a few more days. In the past I arrived on a Thursday morning and stayed till Monday evening; usually doing a photo shoot with others on Sunday afternoon, which was interspersed with some wine samplings. This year I may have a job by October, which (heavens forbid) would actually require my attendance at an office on a regular basis and for long periods of time (I was warned to plan to stay for upto 6 hours, per day!) Such a situation could almost make me regret sending my old boss an SMS telling him where I thought he should place his head.  

Closer to the date, people start posting which hotels they are staying in. If not the same hotel, we tend to cluster near each other so we can meet for breakfasts, coffee etc. 

Hope you make it. 

• Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, Sandokan said:

(one roll of film as we old folk call it)

Just to let you old folk know,😄 I suspect that Susie will use one of her screw mount Barnacks.

Susie, I hope you do manage to make it to Seville for the One Challenge you'll be warmly welcomed.  

To add to what Ravi wrote, it's called the One Challenge because you can use one camera, with one lens, and one ISO or film speed, to take up to one roll of 36 shots, in one hour (which has since been extended to two hours), and submit one shot for voting by the forum membership.  Participants enter the camera, lens, and ISO speed they're going to use into a log during the Saturday lunch and either the lens or the camera or both need to be made by Leica.

Pete.

• Thanks 3

Hi Guys,

Thanks for the warm welcome and information.  It certainly sounds very sociable, what with beer gatherings and a good lunch on the Saturday - I only hope the lunch doesn't result in a nap afterwards leading to missing the photography!

13 hours ago, farnz said:

Just to let you old folk know,😄 I suspect that Susie will use one of her screw mount Barnacks.

Don't worry about me using film!  Although I have had my M9 for five years or so, it is only in the last year that I have used it on my South African trips; until then I always took my M6 and  black and white film.  Well, as  I bought my first Leica, a 111f RD over thirty years ago,  perhaps it should be this one I bring to my first One Challenge.  It is a good job that it is limited to 36 shots and not to a "roll of film" otherwise challengers with 250FF Reporters would be in clover!

Susie

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

In my understanding, the 36 picture limitation helps to pre-select before taking pictures but in my experience, time is typically up before I even reach 30.

An exception was Istanbul, where I had the first ten pictures in the first ten minutes.

Stefan