Leica L 16-35mm / Lee Filter Holder.

pat308

My workflow in Texas wetlands almost always calls for a circular polarizer to control reflections.  And at times I add a graduated neutral density filter for the skies.  I use a Breakthrough Photography polarizer and then attach a Schneider 4" filter holder to it, thus changing the geometry a bit from what you are asking.  The configuration worked perfectly with the 24-90mm.  But I can see the filter holder at the edges when using the 16-35mm at 16mm to about 18mm.  I haven't tried it without the polarizer to see if there is full coverage at 16mm.  I'm not currently where I can test it, but I'll post the results next time I'm out.

Gentlemen,

in my experience, for a lens such as the 16-35mm it is much, much better to get a modern holder with built-in polariser, rather than a "old style" holder such as the Lee, with the polariser sticking out after all filters. This is a recipe for vignetting, not to mention that the cost of a 105mm polariser is way higher: in fact you could buy the whole Formatt-Hitech Holder with built-in polariser for the price of a high-quality 105mm polariser alone :)

You can find the FH Firecrest holder here: https://www.formatt-hitech.com/hardware/firecrestholder and using code VIERIB10 at checkout will grant you a 10% off all your purchases on FH's website. Hope this helps! Best regards,

Vieri

Advertisement (gone after registration)

23 hours ago, lanetomlane said:

Hi Vieri, many, many thanks for this information which is most appreciated.

Cheers, Tom

Hello Tom,

glad to be of help, let me know how you enjoyed the holder :) Best regards,

Vieri

• Like 1

17 hours ago, Vieri said:

Hello Tom,

glad to be of help, let me know how you enjoyed the holder :) Best regards,

Vieri

They are exhibiting at the Photo Exhibition, a big photographic exhibition in the UK held in March so I intend to purchase then.

Many thanks again. Cheers

• 4 weeks later...

I recently went out in the wetlands again with the SL, 16-35mm, polarizer, and double-slot Lee-style filter holder.  Mounted directly on the lens, the filter holder is invisible at 16mm for horizontal and angles within a normal range of use.  In an extreme position, say 30-45 degrees from horizontal, the holder is evident in one set of corners from 16-21mm; I have never needed to go these extremes.  If a polarizer is attached to the lens first, it pushes the filter holder forward, and from 16-18mm or so, it can be seen at the extreme corners, sort of a tiny dark vignette.  If you routinely shoot with a polarizer and filter at 16mm, Vieri's solution reads better.   Good luck.

I found using the FH Firecrest polarizer at 16mm with the Leica SL 16-35 darkens the sky to such a degree that it can not be corrected in Lightroom.

No problem at about 35mm and up.

Vignetting was not an issue.

The FH Firecrest ND filters work brilliantly on the the Leica SL 16-35.

16-18 mm Vignette, > 18mm no problem, the sky got darkened in this range too. And having sent the 16-35 to Wetzlar did not change anything, having told that this problem is not a bug (but the did not say "it's a feature ")

PS: Firecrest System

Edited by BlackDoc

At 16mm there is a risk that a circular polarizer will darken only a part of the sky.  Centered, it can look like the inverse of a vignette (dark centers, lighter edges).  Uncentered, that can sometimes work in your favor; it can be used to darken one side of the sky. 

There are times, however, when the sky does not change much when polarized, but reflections on water or waxy surfaces on leaves can still benefit from use.  

I see that Lee has just changed its mount to accommodate modular clips (no screwdriver) for one, two, or three filters.  In my configuration, a single plate holder should allow a bit wider view before being seen in the extreme corners.

Thanks all, that what i learned about Polarizers on extreme wa-lenses. The angle of light does change from one side of the picture to the other side so much,  that the filter can only show his effect, depending on its position, in certain areas…

About polarisers and wide-angle, it is the nature of the beast, so to speak. In short, polarisers work the most when you point your camera 90' or 180' off the sun's position; they work zero when pointing the camera towards the sun or away from it. Since ultra-wide lenses cover a very wide angle of view, by definition you'll have different parts of your frame pointing at different angles compared to the sun's position, thus generating stronger and weaker polarisation in different areas of the frame (what I musingly call "the black blob of death" effect, during my Workshops!)

Hope this makes sense :)

Good news is, with the Formatt-Hitech holder you can easily remove the polariser from the holder's adapter ring, or - even better - for a few bucks you can get one extra ring without polariser to keep on your UWA (see here: https://www.formatt-hitech.com/hardware/rotating-adaptor-rings-for-firecrest-100mm-holder), while using the ring with built-in polariser i.e. on your normal zoom.

Hope this helps, best regards

Vieri 

Edited by Vieri