Zulu Selfie?

Susie

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Taken at the 140th anniversary of the Anglo-Zulu war, Isandlwana, KZN South Africa

• Like 12
  • Thanks 2

Hi Jaapv,

Yes, quite a do.  There was wreath laying ceremony on the 22nd and a "big do" on the Friday, with both the King and Prince Buthelezi making speaches, about 300 Zulu in their traditional gear and twenty-five or so Red Coats - who didn't fair any better than 140 years ago during the re-enactment.  Another wreath laying was held at Rorke's Drift on the evening of the 22nd.

This image is a straigt JPEG. I'll do a better job in LR with the DGN file. I might post a couple more pictures, but am concience of not flooding the forum with them.

Susie

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Hi Guys,

Here is a tweeked version - the one I first put up was a straight JPEG from the camera.

Susie

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

As I mentioned, on the Friday there were speaches and a "re-enactment" of the battle of Isandlwana in the presence of the Zulu King, Zwelithini kaBhekuzulu, and Prince Butheleze.  The Imperial troops were a mixture of 'A Company 24th Foot' from the UK and the 'Dundee Diehards' from Natal.  The Zulus were from the local area.  Although it was supposed to be scripted, just as on the day 140 years ago this year, it all ended very quickly.  This really gave me the shudders!

Here is a tiny crop fom one of the images I managed to get using the 24mm Elmarit on my M9. This really shows the quality available from this lens.

I'm happy to say this time round there were no casualties.

Susie

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Hi Jayne,

Thanks for the request for more!  As I said it all happened very quickly.  I was shooting on continuous mode and managed to get seven shots between first hand-to-hand contact and it all being over!  Unfortunately a couple of them have a hand holding a mobile phone right in the middle of the picture!  Actually, the 24mm was too short a focal length.  I thought it would be ideal as I'd then crop sections from the full frame, as above, but I think my 50mm would have been better.

As you see, there was plenty of Leopard skin about! The Royalty have the real thing, but I guess (hope) most of this is faux.

Susie

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Yes, high hot sun (36C), windy with lots of dust blowing about.  Later on in the week it got cooler, but with rain and fog as here on top of Shiyane, overlooking Rorke's Drift.

I've been up here twice now, and got soaked on both occasions!

Susie