Universal Time Coordinates in all Cameras?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I use location recording via Lightroom Maps and a GPS log device.  This way images from the Q, my iPhone, and my wife's camera all sort together in LR and I can see the journey on the map.

After importing the images, I import the GPS Log (it uses UTC/GMT) into the Maps module and it matches the image time stamp to the GPS log.  In a pinch, I can copy GPS from the iPhone.

We almost always stay in our home time zone but in June will travel to Europe -- should I just set all cameras to UTC?

• Like 1

If it's Europe in the summer, it would be UTC+2, to account for DST. I set all my gadgets (cameras, audio recorders) to UTC and leave them that way. I move around a lot, and it's simpler than re-setting everything each time I cross a time zone. It makes it easier to synch audio clips with photos. The SL has an option to use the camera's GPS to re-set the clock to whatever the local time is, but I haven't used it.

• Like 1

On 2/7/2019 at 8:08 PM, Infiniumguy said:

What GPS log device are you using? 

Using the Canon GP-E2.  Tiny, very miserly with its AA battery, case clips onto belt.  If not taking the Canon R, I run it in "log" mode, then transfer the log file through Canon Maps, through a web based converted, then into LR Classic where it geotags my Leica Q images.

In Europe I'll just save my log files then do the LR thing when I get home.

• Thanks 1

Am 7.2.2019 um 20:11 schrieb Chuck Albertson:

If it's Europe in the summer, it would be UTC+2, to account for DST. I set all my gadgets (cameras, audio recorders) to UTC and leave them that way. I move around a lot, and it's simpler than re-setting everything each time I cross a time zone. It makes it easier to synch audio clips with photos. The SL has an option to use the camera's GPS to re-set the clock to whatever the local time is, but I haven't used it.

If you consider Portugal as "europe" keep in mind that the local time in Portugal is UTC(Great Britain), also there are some countries that do not have "summer time". Summer time will be gone in 2020 in the EU.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

It was proposed by Juncker for 2019. That was obvious not enough for the politiciens to "negoiate", most countries need more time: eg, NL is negotiating already 4 months with BE, DE, FR to see what should be done.... Meetings every 3 weeks. The only thing that should be prescripted is that Summer time should be canceled, so that we are back in the "old" world time zones for every country involved., and NOT let countries decide whether they go to one time in the whole year or not.

Edited by LexS