The $149.00 7artisans Photoelectric 55mm f/1.4 Lens

I use this focal length on APS for portraits, worth a try, the only negative I have heard is they are not well made and may fall apart. This was from a CL review. I actually thought about my former photo teacher when I was in college. He said to buy 3 of any lens and keep the best one. He had an arrangement with a photo store to do that, so he really didn't have to buy all 3.

Just bought one got it today, seems solid, easy to focus at f1.4 on a CL. Focus is smooth, I was surprised at the boxing of the lens, comparable to the Leica 23 f2 I bought. I'll take some pics tomorrow. My only gripe is there are no click stops on the f stop dial, used to Leica, Nikon and Canon.

• Like 1

A picture of the field and Lyme Hill across the street. Couldn't go far, I was working from home today. So this is a $149 lens not bad but no where in the same league as my Leitz lenses. Using it today, definitely miss the click stops on the aperture ring.

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

• 1 year later...

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Mine is over a year old and it doesn't have "Photoelectric" on it. I the name of the company is "7 Artisans Photoelectric" but just referred to as 7 Artisans. If someone with an M 7 Artisans lens it would be interesting to see if "Photoelectric" is on that. Also they make a lot of Sony lenses, but not the forum for that.

• Like 1

I have the 28mm f1.4 and 50mm f1.1. Both are gorgeous and solid built, feel the same as real Leica, much better than my Contax Zeiss MM or ZM.  I use them on both Leica M and Cl when my Leica 50mm summicron. Is not fast enough. 

While they are excellent on full frame, I feel they are heavier than I expect on CL.

I think the main problem of 7artisans is the price. It is suspiciously low. They might sell better if priced higher.

• 10 months later...

A year late, but just noticed the thread. I have found the 7 Artisans 50mm 1.1 will NOT work using the Leica M-L adaptor on the CL. Beyond about 8 feet the rear element housing hits the frame of the CL and prevents further focusing.  That is a pity as the lens is quite a good one and it would be fun to use on the CL.  It's fine on my M 10.

This problem with the 7Artisans 50mm lens has been discussed previously and there is a solution. If the lens is ordered directly from the manufacturers  and you specify the Tl/CL/SL version they will supply  one with the mounting of the rear element  machined down a few millimetres which allows the full focus range. Unfortunately most  local retailers do not stock this version.

The 55 f1.4 is a different lens, made for APS-C, works fine on my CL, bought it from B&H in New York. Still has the focusing/fstop problem especially if you have gloves on, no click stops on the fstop ring so the fstop ring can be moved while focusing the lens. My lens makes nice images considering its price. I have wondered if you put it on an SL if it would fill the frame.