BarryS

M8 Accessories

Now that have my new M8, I have a couple of accessory questions. First, how sensitive is the M8 to SD card speed. I have a 32 GB with an 80 Mbps write speed that works fine. However, I'm interested in getting a Toshiba FlashAir wifi card. I understand from other discussions that I'll need to have my iPhone practically touching the camera to support a connection. I'm fine with that. My question is on write speed. I'm guessing that the write speed of the FlashAir card is about 30 Mbps. Would this have a noticeable impact on writing DNG files (I only shoot DNG) to the camera?

Second, I bought and then returned to Amazon the Haoge Rectangular Lens Hood. I need 43mm for my 7Artisans 35mm F2. I didn't like it because it was huge and took up a good chunk of the bottom right quadrant of the viewfinder. Any suggestions for a more compact screw in lens hood. I prefer square, but round would be ok failing that.

Thanks in advance.

Barry

No experience with wifi sorry. As for hoods, you will need a round one since a rectangular wouldn't stay perfectly horizontal. Vented 43mm hoods are easy to find on e**y.

Edited by lct

Card speed is not relevant as the camera writes quite slowly. However, for fast transfer to your computer, you could opt for a faster card. I am not sure whether the M8 supports SDHC, it certainly does not accept SDXC. If you shoot colour, the most essential accessory is an IR filter.

3 minutes ago, jaapv said:

I am not sure whether the M8 supports SDHC

M8 firmware v2.00 added support for SDHC cards (up to 32 GB).

Thanks, all. I went with the Lightning to SD card reader. Also, mine didn’t come with a USB cord. However, I got a USB-C to SD card reader for my Mac instead. Still on the hunt for a hood that I like. I know what I want, but can’t have: the Leica lens with the square hood that has the cutaway.