Kanto Camera in Kawasaki Japan

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Some months ago I posted about my Leotax Letana 5cm lens aperture problem 

I was unable to find anyone who could repair it in the US. Youxin disassembled it and told me that some of the blades were damaged 

Two days ago I visited Kanto Camera in Kawasaki to see if they could fix it. I thought ok maybe no Letana blades but these guys are smart enough to use say industar 22 blades fir example as the Letana is afterall a copy probably of the Elmar 5cm. Even  blades from an Elmar parts lens maybe.

They checked and politely told me that they would see if it could be repaired for $500 USD. if not they'd remove all the old blades so it would be an f/3.5 all the time 

My reaction: i could get all the blades to fall out on my own in less than 10 minutes

Kanto can't 

You can buy ratty old Elmars for next to nothing. I gave one away not so very long ago, to someone who wanted it for spare parts. Might be worth saving a search in eBay with a price cap, to see what comes along. The problem may be that the axis hole on each Elmar blade may not be the same size as the pins on the Letana. If the holes are too large, you are probably in trouble. If too small, you could possibly ream them out but not easy with such thin material. I am guess the holes would originally have been punched. 

Wilson