Q2 47 mps, Dirt & Drip proof & new EVF (FWIW!)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

When reading through the thread, I'm asking myself: What are these guys talking about.  Would your wishes for a Q2 not be only dependent on three things: the joy you have from using it, the angle of view and what your targeted output medium is?  This by definition means different wishes for the Q2.

• Like 5

26 minutes ago, larsv said:

When reading through the thread, I'm asking myself: What are these guys talking about.  Would your wishes for a Q2 not be only dependent on three things: the joy you have from using it, the angle of view and what your targeted output medium is?  This by definition means different wishes for the Q2.

I wish for the same joy of using the Q - which largely means the exterior of the camera does not change one bit, and that the new features do not negatively affect battery life, or this is compensated for.

What do you mean in this context by 'angle of view'?

My target output medium will not change.

The 47MP sensor is enough for me to justify the purchase, and it is not because I need to print bigger - it's because it will add further versatility to the camera's crop modes. It shall mean I can travel lighter as I won't need to take another camera with 50mm+ lens, batteries and charger.

The last three countries I travelled with a Leica Q in one hand and a Hasselblad X1D in the other - it would be nice not to feel so torn and encumbered :)

^ ^ is this my angle of view :)

Edited by dancook
  • Like 2

I have also loved my Q and originally purchased it because it was (and still is) the best small camera with the best lens and IQ available (with focal length great to do some reasonable cropping as everyone knows). Everythign from my wishlist ended up being true and I've been very happy with the image quality (cropped or not it was the best IQ I have gotten with any camera before I moved to Q). However, I have found that just because cropping is possible I was not enjoying doing so much of it (spending way more time in front of computer than I realized I would). Also, while Q is perfect size/weight for traveling I have found that my particular habits did not (and will not) end up taking advantage of that enough where it would offset the 'downsides' (for me). I don't carry my camera with me all the time (even though I can and have tried to force myself to take it I ended up not using it unless I'm out there specifically with mindset to take photos). And even in those cases when I went out with the Q to shoot, most of the time I ended up carrying it in small backpack becasue I never only need the camera (like to have my glasses case, phone, keys, gloves, kindle, and other smaller items with me as well). After doing this for a while I realized (had to admit to myself) that I could have a normal size (DSLr) size camera with me and it would really not make any difference, with the exception that my large hands and imperfect eyesight woudl actually be helped by having a larger camera with better EVF (better ergonomics with larger camera is no brainer for me). So after I came to terms with all this I started looking to what else I could do to make the hobby more enjoyable (add another larger camera was the obvious idea). Took a serous look at SL with the 24-90 zoom (even had it in my cart ready to check out) but ultimately decided it was dumb to spend that much money on esentially the same sensor that was in the Q. Other than SL Leica had nothing else to offer as option (CL is APS-C which I don't like, and I have looked at it before I purchased the Q), so started to look at X1D and Fuji 50R and ended up going with Fuji. I have been loving it so far - I feel reborn having a larger ("normal" size camera) again and am back to carrying similar overall size/weight as I did back in my Canon DSLR days (but medium format with much higher IQ and with the best lenses I have ever used), and I'm not saying that lightly after using the amazing Sumilux on the Q. By the way, I'm still keeping the Q - just can't let it go even though I have almost completely stopped using it since I got the Fuji setup few months ago.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dancook said:

……..

What do you mean in this context by 'angle of view'?

……..,

Angle of view is a technical term referring to the cone which determines the field of view of a lens. It is a characteristic of the focal length of the lens and the extent to which it is cropped. For example, a full frame uncropped 28mm lens has a greater (wider) angle of view than a 50mm lens.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, Trivette said:

Angle of view is a technical term referring to the cone which determines the field of view of a lens. It is a characteristic of the focal length of the lens and the extent to which it is cropped. For example, a full frame uncropped 28mm lens has a greater (wider) angle of view than a 50mm lens.

Oh I was overthinking it :) That definitely should not change... Heh

2 hours ago, tgdinamo said:

I have also loved my Q and originally purchased it because it was (and still is) the best small camera with the best lens and IQ available (with focal length great to do some reasonable cropping as everyone knows). Everythign from my wishlist ended up being true and I've been very happy with the image quality (cropped or not it was the best IQ I have gotten with any camera before I moved to Q). However, I have found that just because cropping is possible I was not enjoying doing so much of it (spending way more time in front of computer than I realized I would). Also, while Q is perfect size/weight for traveling I have found that my particular habits did not (and will not) end up taking advantage of that enough where it would offset the 'downsides' (for me). I don't carry my camera with me all the time (even though I can and have tried to force myself to take it I ended up not using it unless I'm out there specifically with mindset to take photos). And even in those cases when I went out with the Q to shoot, most of the time I ended up carrying it in small backpack becasue I never only need the camera (like to have my glasses case, phone, keys, gloves, kindle, and other smaller items with me as well). After doing this for a while I realized (had to admit to myself) that I could have a normal size (DSLr) size camera with me and it would really not make any difference, with the exception that my large hands and imperfect eyesight woudl actually be helped by having a larger camera with better EVF (better ergonomics with larger camera is no brainer for me). So after I came to terms with all this I started looking to what else I could do to make the hobby more enjoyable (add another larger camera was the obvious idea). Took a serous look at SL with the 24-90 zoom (even had it in my cart ready to check out) but ultimately decided it was dumb to spend that much money on esentially the same sensor that was in the Q. Other than SL Leica had nothing else to offer as option (CL is APS-C which I don't like, and I have looked at it before I purchased the Q), so started to look at X1D and Fuji 50R and ended up going with Fuji. I have been loving it so far - I feel reborn having a larger ("normal" size camera) again and am back to carrying similar overall size/weight as I did back in my Canon DSLR days (but medium format with much higher IQ and with the best lenses I have ever used), and I'm not saying that lightly after using the amazing Sumilux on the Q. By the way, I'm still keeping the Q - just can't let it go even though I have almost completely stopped using it since I got the Fuji setup few months ago.

Thanks so much for all this. I have gone in a different direction   I did buy a CL. Coming tomorrow. Mainly for telephoto. But a Nikon Z7, 2nd edition, is a future possibility. 

• Like 1

I'm in deep trouble.  The Q is my primary (and often ONLY) camera.  It follows me everywhere...

My only Q issues are:  Weather proofing (SOLVED w/Q2) and resolution at portrait distances  (SOLVED w/Q2)

The EVF is already wonderful and I don't care about video (iPhone does quite well thank you)... but 75mm crop of 47meg and drip-proof !!!

I wonder what my dealer would do for a trade-in?

• Haha 2

Sorry for laughing, SonomaBear. I feel your pain (ditto with me). I just got a beautiful CL to ease my GAS and figure in a year or 2 I can get the new M2. 

Alas, Amazon is now listing the basic Q at $3955, so second hand will be dropping, too.

• Like 1

• jaapv changed the title to Q2 47 mps, Dirt & Drip proof & new EVF (FWIW!)
On 2/8/2019 at 3:44 PM, Tim picture taker said:

I just feel that the old adage of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" rings true with this camera. I was lucky enough to get mine within a month of release. I've  loved every moment since and admit to regularly picking it up just to admire its quality and design. I will then take a picture and the only thing that spoils it is me. I have a well worn case, a Harry Benz strap and a nicely brassed Thumbs up grip. Do I need 42 mega pixels? No. Would all of the wonderful pictures we have all enthused about on this site be improved by more pixels and possibly a different lense? No. Is the massive and heartfelt enthusiasm from virtually all who contribute to these posts  for the camera going to drain away on the day of the release of a new one? No ,or at least I hope not. Are we honestly saying that the picture taken by the French bloke of the chap jumping across the puddle would have been better with a Q or Q2? Discuss. 

I’d upgrade for two sd slots. As for twice as many mpixels, it’s not really a high priority.

On 2/4/2019 at 2:19 PM, MCJ said:

Wow.  So having just purchased the Q-P, like I’m in the return window still, what now?   I’m an amateur photog.  Do I return the thing and wait?   Took me forever to finally buy this damn thing!!   Oh man. 

And what is suddenly wrong with your Leica Q - a well-reasoned choice? I am sure it will continue to perform impeccably for some time to come.

Edited by wda
  • Like 1

Several people here seem to have made a stupid decision in buying the Q, suddenly they want a Q2.

If the Q specs are good yesterday, why suddenly they want more pixels??? The Q (leica) quality is very good. Maybe more pixels makes it cold and super tech like Sony. I bought the Q for what it is now (and that is already much better than I am). I am not interested in the specs, but what I need and want. I hope that the next Q firmware update will simplify the camera even more. I think the Q2 is just fitting in the marketing strategy, where many potential buyers go for specs. I bought my Q a few moths ago, well aware that there might come a new Q2.

Edited by LexS
wrong thread
  • Like 2

5 hours ago, dancook said:

I’m doing it the other way round, cannot be without my Q!

My Q has served me well for 3.5 years. It's been with me everyday, everywhere I went. I've taken good care of my Q but it's certainly showing it's age. It doesn't look or feel as crisp as when I first got it. Digital cameras don't last forever, and I was considering replacing my Q with a Q-P anyway. The Q2 is arriving at the perfect time for me.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Mr.Q said:

My Q has served me well for 3.5 years. It's been with me everyday, everywhere I went. I've taken good care of my Q but it's certainly showing it's age. It doesn't look or feel as crisp as when I first got it. Digital cameras don't last forever, and I was considering replacing my Q with a Q-P anyway. The Q2 is arriving at the perfect time for me.

Maybe......im pretty new to this forum but looking back, seems like people have been predicting this for over a year now.  So I guess by definition we are closer but who knows?

I am both excited at the “leaked” key specs on the Q2 and patient to still enjoy the Q1 (formerly and forever the Q) for awhile. I just do not have much temptation to immediately sell the Q and buy a Q2. I want to see a thorough review and even more so, I want to read on this forum of others’ experiences. Attributes of battery life, shadow detail, dynamic range, IQ especially at 75mm crop, ergonomic changes, shutter button design, EVF overall quality, and weatherproofing integrity are all important to me  

I’ll wait and see if the Q2 is a worthy replacement for my very used and beloved Q. If it is, I’ll upgrade later this year. Maybe it’ll be my Christmas present. 

Edited by Infiniumguy
  • Like 6