Q2 47 mps, Dirt & Drip proof & new EVF (FWIW!)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

By the way 47MP Q2 makes totally sense in an industrial point of view for Leica and Panasonic. 

It will bring down 47MP sensor manufacturing costs by increasing volume. Which will be split between Lumix S1R and Leica Q and SL2. And maybe Sigma with their new foveon filter instead of traditional Bayer one. 

18 hours ago, nicci78 said:

People ask for slimmer M. They got M10 with 40% less battery capacity. 

Then they were disappointed, and miss the stellar battery life to M 240. 

Q battery is quite small already. Thinner body = smaller battery. Something have to give. 

I carry around several Q batteries because they're cheap - panasonic equivalents. Batteries for my SL are over £100 a go. Be careful what you wish for.🙁

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, antigallican said:

I carry around several Q batteries because they're cheap - panasonic equivalents. Batteries for my SL are over £100 a go. Be careful what you wish for.🙁

Actually I carry several Sigma branded equivalent version. Even cheaper, still made by Panasonic. Half price of Panasonic one. One third of Leica official one. 

They can be used with Q or CL, neat.

And if you have other system, it can be used with V-Lux, several Lumix m4/3 such as GX8, or Sigma DP Quattro. Very versatile battery, I hope that Leica will not drop it for Q2

To all the ones thinking a 50mm wouldn´t be doable compact sized, with AF and good IQ, that´s nonsense. A 50/1.7 or 50/2 would be more than good enough and easily doable for Leica. The 28/1.7 is corrected digitally a lot in camera. It´s not all glass here.

• Like 1

50mm is not versatile enough to be your sole lens. 28, 35 or 40mm are. 

Very fast 40mm would have been nice. 

Anyway Leica standard of still software corrected, yields to APO-Summicron-SL size. So still huge and heavy. 

Small AF 50mm of yesteryear are not sharp enough for high MP counts. Sadly. 

• Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

1 hour ago, mike3996 said:

And then you wonder why some people resist high-res sensors? :)

Vanishingly small minority actually prints over 40 inch

the largest i have printed with my Q is 24" x36" and it looks stunning i think there is enough resolution in the Q sensor to go larger-- i think the allure of a larger sensor is different crop fov that can be used

• Like 1

1 hour ago, mike3996 said:

And then you wonder why some people resist high-res sensors? :)

Vanishingly small minority actually prints over 40 inch

There is actually one area, I would need 47MP or even more : medium format film scan with a digital camera. 

I am exploring the field, and 24MP is enough for 135 film. But larger 120 with ISO 100/160 may benefit from more. We need to be able to photograph the grain, to keep the film texture and structure. Basis of its unique look. 

vor 2 Stunden schrieb nicci78:

50mm is not versatile enough to be your sole lens. 28, 35 or 40mm are. 

Very fast 40mm would have been nice. 

Anyway Leica standard of still software corrected, yields to APO-Summicron-SL size. So still huge and heavy. 

Small AF 50mm of yesteryear are not sharp enough for high MP counts. Sadly. 

When actual M-Glass has a resolution of 100MP I am more than convinced Leica is capable of designing a 50mm that can cover a resolution of 50+ MP while being compact easily. I have not a single doubt about it. 

What transpires from Leica’s interview about SL lenses :

- they have to make excellent small M lenses, because the viewfinder view would be blocked beyond reason. THEY HAVE TO ! They do not want to make such thing otherwise. 

- so without the viewfinder constraint. They decided to free themselves of the small but mighty scheme. And achieve absolute best IQ in whatever size possible. Therefore the big SL body to hold big but mighty SL lenses

• Like 2

vor 19 Minuten schrieb nicci78:

What transpires from Leica’s interview about SL lenses :

- they have to make excellent small M lenses, because the viewfinder view would be blocked beyond reason. THEY HAVE TO ! They do not want to make such thing otherwise. 

- so without the viewfinder constraint. They decided to free themselves of the small but mighty scheme. And achieve absolute best IQ in whatever size possible. Therefore the big SL body to hold big but mighty SL lenses

Those huge SL lenses are the reason why Leica won´t sell that shit to masses. It´s just ridiculous. Sony proves that you can build lenses that are reasonable sized and lightweight while still delivering awesome IQ. The Sony 24/1.4 GM for example.

47 minutes ago, SMAL said:

Those huge SL lenses are the reason why Leica won´t sell that shit to masses. It´s just ridiculous. Sony proves that you can build lenses that are reasonable sized and lightweight while still delivering awesome IQ. The Sony 24/1.4 GM for example.

I have the 90mmSL and it is not big. Solid, yes. But made from metal and good glass.

vor 3 Stunden schrieb nicci78:

All APO-Summicron-SL will have same size and weight and they are quite big. Way bigger than Summilux-TL 35mm. Which is already the biggest TL lenses, for same depth of field equivalency.

The 75 doesnt feel big or heavy on a SL, indeed it feels just right IMO.

Edited by tom0511

12 hours ago, SMAL said:

When actual M-Glass has a resolution of 100MP I am more than convinced Leica is capable of designing a 50mm that can cover a resolution of 50+ MP while being compact easily. I have not a single doubt about it. 

50 APO most likely covers this. 

I sold my SL already, but I was OK with the size of the 75 SL and 90 SL. They are mid-telephoto lenses so they need to be long.  However, I was shocked when I saw the length of the upcoming 35 SL and 50 SL. It doesn't take a rocket scientist to know that F2 lenses in "normal" focal lengths can be made much shorter than telephoto's.  To me it was apparent that Leica was re-using the barrels for cost-cutting. That was the final straw for me.

• Like 1