Q2 47 mps, Dirt & Drip proof & new EVF (FWIW!)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

30 minutes ago, dancook said:

My answer is more of a feeling than factual reasoning - 

The Leica Q is probably more contrasty, I like to leave shadows deep. Whereas the X1D shine's in the details and tonal changes. 

But I wouldn't dismiss the idea it could just have been me when processing.

Dan-

These are wonderful! I went to your site (again), fully expecting the Hassy (which I don't own but love) to outshine the Q (which I do own and love), but, honestly, I don't think I can tell which camera produced which great photo. I do believe that there are certain wide angle Hassy shots (a different lens) that produce a kind of depth and dimensionality that I don't see even on the SL and its amazing 16-35. And I'm sure in studio work you can tell the difference. But as an amateur, I cannot.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, bags27 said:

Dan-

These are wonderful! I went to your site (again), fully expecting the Hassy (which I don't own but love) to outshine the Q (which I do own and love), but, honestly, I don't think I can tell which camera produced which great photo. I do believe that there are certain wide angle Hassy shots (a different lens) that produce a kind of depth and dimensionality that I don't see even on the SL and its amazing 16-35. And I'm sure in studio work you can tell the difference. But as an amateur, I cannot.

a little off topic - I love the Leica Q2!!!

But I did have the XCD 30 for a very short while, however for my use I needed the flexibility of a Leica Q when shooting people close

The wide photos taken here are the XCD 30

https://hasselbladx1d.wordpress.com/2018/08/29/wet-plate-bbq-take-two/

Whilst I'm at it, some street and portraits with XCD90mm

https://hasselbladx1d.wordpress.com/2018/08/29/x1d-street-photography/

Edited by dancook

interesting amount of reader push back against a 47 mps Q2 at:

https://leicarumors.com/2019/02/08/rumors-leica-q2-with-47mp-sensor-leica-s3-with-64mp-sensor.aspx/

of course in the end we all get used to the "new," as bigger (and more expensive!) always seems to us to be better eventually....

Edited by bags27

Crazy comparison, Q2 Summilux-Q 1.7/28 versus closest existing Leicas with slightly bigger sensor : (full frame equivalent field of view and depth of field)

Q2 47MP (28mm f/1.7) x1

vs S (typ 007) 37.5MP + Summarit-S 2.5/35 (28mm f/2) x0.8

Q2 30MP (35mm f/2.1) x1.25

vs M10 24MP + Summicron-M 2/35 (35mm f/2) x1

Q2 15MP (50mm f/3) x1.79

vs TL 16MP + Summicron-M 2/35 (50mm f/3)  x1.5

Q2 7MP (75mm f/4.6) x2.69

vs D-Lux (typ 109) 12MP DC Vario-Summilux 2.8/34 (75mm f/6.2) x2.2

• Like 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

9 hours ago, dancook said:

a little off topic - I love the Leica Q2!!!

But I did have the XCD 30 for a very short while, however for my use I needed the flexibility of a Leica Q when shooting people close

The wide photos taken here are the XCD 30

https://hasselbladx1d.wordpress.com/2018/08/29/wet-plate-bbq-take-two/

Whilst I'm at it, some street and portraits with XCD90mm

https://hasselbladx1d.wordpress.com/2018/08/29/x1d-street-photography/

I just rented a 30mm for a week, and while the images were exceptional, I also prefer the Q for that focal length.

The 30 actually weighs about the same as the Q, so I'm thinking it makes more sense to pack both cameras at that point.

I have the 21 (stellar lens) and 45 for the X1D, and I plan on getting the 80, which should pair nicely with the Q2 :)

• Like 2

Looking at those images on leicarumors, EVF housing is different and the body seems to be a bit narrower than the current Q, the sensor plane mark is on the hot shoe now rather than next to it. 

I currently own M240 with 28/2 Cron ASPH and 50/1.5 Nokton. Cron is used 90% of the time so I could replace that setup with the new Q2. Ideally I would like M with EVF but that won’t happen. 

Edited by hexx

41 minutes ago, nicci78 said:

Looking at the same picture. I see absolutely no difference : same body and same EVF eyecup. 

I’ve got a Q since its first day of introduction. So only more MP for this one. 

Are you looking here https://leicarumors.com/2019/02/09/is-that-the-new-leica-q2-camera.aspx/ ? The shutter speed dial is closer to hot shoe and the left side of EVF seems different or the camera is narrower. 

Really it is the same don’t get over your head with distorted photo, taken with a bad smartphone. 

Anyway, it will make no sense to change the camera body/belt. Why driving cost up, to gain 1 or 2 millimetres ? Total non sense. The Q body is already über thin. Do you really want to shave off 30% of battery capacity for totally useless thinnest ? Leica is not Apple  

However the shutter looks like Q-P one.

Edited by nicci78

I agree that most probably the only significant change will be the "size" of the sensor. But maybe the processor will be a "Maestro III" in anticipation of ditto in the SL2. And, while the current EVF is terrific, there have been advances since its introduction....

1 hour ago, nicci78 said:

Really it is the same don’t get over your head with distorted photo, taken with a bad smartphone. 

Anyway, it will make no sense to change the camera body/belt. Why driving cost up, to gain 1 or 2 millimetres ? Total non sense. The Q body is already über thin. Do you really want to shave off 30% of battery capacity for totally useless thinnest ? Leica is not Apple  

However the shutter looks like Q-P one.

Don’t remember me saying anything anywhere about the need to shave off 30% - where does that one come from?

People ask for slimmer M. They got M10 with 40% less battery capacity. 

Then they were disappointed, and miss the stellar battery life to M 240. 

Q battery is quite small already. Thinner body = smaller battery. Something have to give. 

• Like 1

Of course I will not buy a 47MP Q2.

I build a coherent 24MP set with Q & CL + Summilux-TL 35 + Summarit-M 50 + APO-Macro-Elmarit-TL 60 & T + Elmarit-TL 18 as compact backup camera  

Q and CL IQ are similar and easy to mix and match  

Q2 + CL will look odd. 47MP on the wide side and 24MP on the long reach ? Weird  

Q2 crop at 50mm f/3 equivalent with 14.8 MP will not make me give up my CL 24MP + Summilux-TL 50mm f/2.1 équivalent. 

Q2 crop at 75mm f/4.6 equivalent with 6.6MP is still laughable against my CL 24MP + Summarit-M 75mm f/3.6 équivalent  

Q2 will never give me a decent 90mm crop with macro 1:1 ability such as APO-TL 60  

As I refuse to upgrade to 4K for video, I will pass on high res photos for the next years. I don’t want to renew all my computer equipment. My iMac is still an old 2.5 K one. 

Edited by nicci78
  • Like 1

It is intriguing, I agree.

But until now it was easy to mix and match 24MP Q with other Leicas with 24MP : M, SL, M10, TL2 or CL. 

But now with 47MP, I’m not so sure.

I guess it is progress. SL2 will be 47MP justifying high cost and huge heavy SL lenses. 

But I am not sure that M11 will be able to get 47MP. Maybe stuck to 24MP forever. Otherwise, rangefinder focusing will be a nightmare. 

TL3 & CL2 will may get 36MP sensor or stuck also to recent Sony BSI 26MP. Not really a worthy upgrade, by the way. BSI seems to bring no advantage at all for APS-C and 24x36 sensor. 

Edited by nicci78

• jaapv changed the title to Q2 47 mps, Dirt & Drip proof & new EVF (FWIW!)