bags27

Q2 47 mps, Dirt & Drip proof & new EVF (FWIW!)

I’m anticipating learing about SD card write speed, EVF resolution, physical dimension changes (if any), Summilux lens tweaks (if any), ISO and dynamic range performance, focus speed and accuracy with new sensor,  battery performance with new electronics, in camera battery charging?, image stabilization performance, models (black, silver, titanium, ...), weather resistance, new menu system organization due to fewer rear buttons, and of course price. All fun to look forward to. 

Did I miss anything important. 

4 hours ago, frame-it said:

what do Q sales have to do with the M10?

shooting AF & cropping a 47MP image is very different from using a rangefinder with a delicious manual focus lens...

Such as original Q, makes people ditching their 28mm M lens. Like I did. 

Incomes can be somewhat limited in Leica world. You may not be able or do not want to spend so much money into a Q2 and a M10. 

Q2 with better EVF  than optional M10 Visoflex, along with excellent Summilux-Q 28mm, usable easily in MF and its 47MP with crop mode is kinda a threat to M10. Did I mention better weather protection ? (No M lenses are) 

If Q2 is too cheap. Without the love for rangefinder, nobody will really need a M10 + 28 + 35 + 50 lenses. 

6 minutes ago, jon m said:

For me at least, it's not between a M and a Q2; it's about a Q2 or no Q2.

To me it’s not M versus Q2. They are (I expect) very different cameras. I’ve never owned an M, but I have used a friends M-10. I loved the manual focus and capability of switching lenses. I did not particularly enjoy how heavy the body is. It’s definitely well made. I see them as complementary cameras and more of a point product versus a system. I am in the camp that the Q is a good entry into the Leica world. Not hard to imagine a higher resolution M in the near future though. Photography has never been more fun for me than now. The equipment is most definitely not my limitation. 

I work as a printer and run a Hahnemühle Certified Studio. If there is anything true about printing, is that there is nothing true about printing. Sometimes a higher resolution file will help (often!), but it also depends on the camera, software, your resizing method or lack thereof, how you sharpen, what printer you are using, what paper etc etc. I think the best advice is to work on making your captures as good as possible, and then work with a printer who takes the time to get prints exactly as you want them. Playing the DPI game with printers can be interesting, but the gains you make are often only visible with extreme pixel peeping. It makes the most difference if you want to take a very high resolution file and print it very small...all that gained detail will help. In a normal sized print at a normal viewing distance it is largely academic. I will say, however, that I use the Epson P9000 and you can see a benefit to printing over 360dpi if you feed it a good file and use the "finest detail" setting, which tells the printer to print at 720dpi. 

7 minutes ago, Stuart Richardson said:

I work as a printer and run a Hahnemühle Certified Studio. If there is anything true about printing, is that there is nothing true about printing. Sometimes a higher resolution file will help (often!), but it also depends on the camera, software, your resizing method or lack thereof, how you sharpen, what printer you are using, what paper etc etc. I think the best advice is to work on making your captures as good as possible, and then work with a printer who takes the time to get prints exactly as you want them. Playing the DPI game with printers can be interesting, but the gains you make are often only visible with extreme pixel peeping. It makes the most difference if you want to take a very high resolution file and print it very small...all that gained detail will help. In a normal sized print at a normal viewing distance it is largely academic. I will say, however, that I use the Epson P9000 and you can see a benefit to printing over 360dpi if you feed it a good file and use the "finest detail" setting, which tells the printer to print at 720dpi. 

Thank you for your input, I was a bit surprised by that article as there seems to be a bit of confusion going on between DPI, PPI and LPI (not mentioned). 

vor 4 Stunden schrieb nicci78:

Such as original Q, makes people ditching their 28mm M lens. Like I did. 

Incomes can be somewhat limited in Leica world. You may not be able or do not want to spend so much money into a Q2 and a M10. 

Q2 with better EVF  than optional M10 Visoflex, along with excellent Summilux-Q 28mm, usable easily in MF and its 47MP with crop mode is kinda a threat to M10. Did I mention better weather protection ? (No M lenses are) 

If Q2 is too cheap. Without the love for rangefinder, nobody will really need a M10 + 28 + 35 + 50 lenses. 

Q2 is still restricted to a fixed focal length. So even if the Q2 will be much lower price than a M+28mm lens there are enough reasons to still bei a Leica M.

On the other side the Q2 has also to compete with other cameras, like the Sony RX1 for example - and so it would be clever to make the Q2 price not too high. IMO 4000 would be sweet spot - any price much higher would be brave for such a camera. 

vor 3 Stunden schrieb jon m:

For me at least, it's not between a M and a Q2; it's about a Q2 or no Q2.

same here.

53 minutes ago, hexx said:

Thank you for your input, I was a bit surprised by that article as there seems to be a bit of confusion going on between DPI, PPI and LPI (not mentioned). 

Just as a very quick aside, because this is not what the thread is about, but there used to be an old adage that it was best to upscale a file in a number of increments, and then downsample to the final size. So if you needed a 356% enlargement, it was thought to be best to scale to 400% and then down to 356% (the numbers are arbitrary, just an example). I recently tested this with a client, versus enlarging it in a single step with Preserve Details 2.0. It was not even close...the single step was significantly better. The only truism I have found is that you need to test every important print exactly as you intend to print it, every time. There are some general best practices to follow, but there are so many variables that it can be hard to say that any one way to print is the "right way". Part of the journey to becoming a master printer (or photographer) is learning multiple ways to solve any given problem, and then being able to make the call on the fly what is the best way for that particular situation.

Charging by USB-C would be nice but not sure if that's possible if they're using the same Panasonic battery, I wonder if any Panasonic cameras charge that battery via USB

2 minutes ago, Qster said:

Charging by USB-C would be nice but not sure if that's possible if they're using the same Panasonic battery, I wonder if any Panasonic cameras charge that battery via USB

The latest Panasonic DC-S1R has a USB-C port and charges the battery internally. That’s what started me wondering about the Q2. No idea if that’s attractive to Leica, but they do have an alliance with Panasonic and are leveraging technology and standards between the companies. 

48 minutes ago, Infiniumguy said:

The latest Panasonic DC-S1R has a USB-C port and charges the battery internally. That’s what started me wondering about the Q2. No idea if that’s attractive to Leica, but they do have an alliance with Panasonic and are leveraging technology and standards between the companies. 

But the S1R uses a different battery. Nikon had to revise their batteries with their latest Nikon Z series to make them charge over USB-C (EN-EL15a vs EN-EL15b)

Edited by Qster

3 hours ago, tom0511 said:

Q2 is still restricted to a fixed focal length. So even if the Q2 will be much lower price than a M+28mm lens there are enough reasons to still bei a Leica M.

On the other side the Q2 has also to compete with other cameras, like the Sony RX1 for example - and so it would be clever to make the Q2 price not too high. IMO 4000 would be sweet spot - any price much higher would be brave for such a camera. 

Exactly, it's a good problem to have if your own products are competing against themselves.

The Q was widely regarded as a "gateway drug" into the Leica world, and the Q2 is the perfect opportunity to capitalize on that.

Leica isn't going to mess around with their best selling camera. They're hoping for sales volume on an epic scale.

Competition with the low-selling 28 Summilux-M is the least of their concerns.

4 hours ago, Mr.Q said:

The Q was widely regarded as a "gateway drug" into the Leica world, and the Q2 is the perfect opportunity to capitalize on that.

But the Q2 may not also be a "gateway drug". Instead it might turn out to be the hard core thing that draws folks away from other Leicas.

I hope for all Q2 Buyers (maybe sometimes me too), that Leica don't use the same battery as the Lumix S1R (BLJ31).
How will this huge thing fit (see +7:35) in the Q2-Body without big Body-Modifications?

YT - Lumix S1R review hands on impressions

Not at all, Leica will use a much smaller size with only ????mAh!
But then with XQD and all the other new features are active, how many shots can we take ( ~150?)?

What happened to that fixed lens camera from Zeiss? That was meant to come to market this spring, IIRC. That, in theory, is a competitor. 

Hipster and millenium did not need Lightroom in camera. Just Instagram, Facebook, Twitter and Whatsapp. That's it : app connectivity.

Anyway ZX1 so call big screen, is still way smaller than any actual smartphones. And by the way iPhone XS/XR are way more powerful than the ZX1 will be able to be. So what's the point ? 

And of course editing with a big smartphone, is already difficult enough. Just imagine with a big camera in hands and a small screen ? How the results could be. 

Finally no SD card support, only internal memory a la iPhone. It is kind of stupid. My trip photos will be limited by my internal memory, crazy. 

8 hours ago, SchneiderPetr said:

I hope for all Q2 Buyers (maybe sometimes me too), that Leica don't use the same battery as the Lumix S1R (BLJ31).
How will this huge thing fit (see +7:35) in the Q2-Body without big Body-Modifications?

YT - Lumix S1R review hands on impressions

Not at all, Leica will use a much smaller size with only ????mAh!
But then with XQD and all the other new features are active, how many shots can we take ( ~150?)?

In spite of my wonderings above, I expect the Q2 to use the same battery as the Q and not allow charging while in the camera. It’s not a big deal to me. I’ve often thought it was risky anyway should something defective in the battery cause overheating and thus damage the camera. The Q2 as described so far already has plenty of innovative changes.