Q2 47 mps, Dirt & Drip proof & new EVF (FWIW!)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

19 minutes ago, wda said:

Dan, for a head to fill the frame with 50mm field of view requires a shooting distance of about 20". Imagine the facial distortion that would record. A recommended minimum shooting distance with a 50mm lens would be about 60" (5 feet) which would be difficult to assess in camera while using a 28mm lens. Whichever way you look at it, a 28mm lens is not a lens of choice for serious portraiture, cropped or otherwise.

There are many other subjects which might benefit from in-camera cropping to 50mm equivalence where closer access is denied. But I would not include close-up portraiture as one of them.

Do you believe it difficult to assess the correct shooting distance with an M10, when using the 50mm crop lines of a rangefinder?

Because that is the same experience.

I would understand your argument if you just said a 50mm lens was not choice for serious portraiture, because that is the field of view in question.

But I don't accept if Leica could remove the minimum focus distance of the 50mm 1.4 everyone would be terrible at gauging an appropriate distance to use it..

Edited by dancook

6 minutes ago, dancook said:

Do you believe it difficult to assess the correct shooting distance with an M10, when using the 50mm crop lines of a rangefinder?

Because that is the same experience.

Not sure I understand your point of assessing shooting distance.  I would stand-off about five to six feet from my subject and use the rangefinder to focus accurately. Regarding the relative sizes of electronic frame lines, the 50mm frames are clear on my MP240, but I can hardly see the boundary for 28mm. That is much easier on the Q which is optimised for 28mm. For portraiture, it is not easy assessing expressions while framing and shooting through any viewfinder. But I am only an occasional portrait photographer.

26 minutes ago, jbripley said:

Current rumoured feature list of the Q2 sounds great to me. Only thing missing from my point of view would be a built in ND-filter.

Price does sound scary high though, but not that surprising. Really hope it's the same EVF that the Panasonic S1 has at that price.

At this price it could be, but maybe only a feature of future SL2. 

4 minutes ago, wda said:

Not sure I understand your point of assessing shooting distance.  I would stand-off about five to six feet from my subject and use the rangefinder to focus accurately. Regarding the relative sizes of electronic frame lines, the 50mm frames are clear on my MP240, but I can hardly see the boundary for 28mm. That is much easier on the Q which is optimised for 28mm. For portraiture, it is not easy assessing expressions while framing and shooting through any viewfinder. But I am only an occasional portrait photographer.

I'm probably just misinterpreting some of your posts/points, so I will end this before we go full circle :D

I live in Japan, and I'm not sure where Leica Rumors got that image, but Leica Ginza confirms that they never posted anything on social media regarding the Q2

The text on that image reads as follows..."I wonder if the Q2 is for professionals, with the Q discontinued and the Q-P remaining in the lineup. Which would make the price of the Q2 around 800,000 YEN... in any case, it looks to be an incredible camera"

Basically all speculations and nothing close to an official announcement. I'd also like to point out that Leica products in Japan cost 20-30% more than Europe. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Well, that’s interesting. If it’s true, it could mean the Q2 is not a replacement for the Q, but a premium model. I’ll wait and see. It would affect my decision and how long I wait to sell my Q and move up. It would sure keep the price of used Q’s up although the recent price drop of the Q undercuts that. 

Leica has succeeded in creating a lot of buzz around the Q2. It’s fun to dream and guess the future. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Infiniumguy said:

Well, that’s interesting. If it’s true, it could mean the Q2 is not a replacement for the Q, but a premium model. I’ll wait and see. It would affect my decision and how long I wait to sell my Q and move up. It would sure keep the price of used Q’s up although the recent price drop of the Q undercuts that. 

Leica has succeeded in creating a lot of buzz around the Q2. It’s fun to dream and guess the future. 

Sounds ingenious, doesn't it? Keep the Q with its 24 MP and lower price, but then have a souped-up model with more megapixels and weatherproofing. 

• Like 1

Having recently come back to photography after many, many years I'm really loving the Q and what seems to be "enthusiast state-of-the-art" (or at least, "really good stuff").

I haven't seen anything in all the above (extremely interesting) discussion -- at least from a layman understanding -- that stops me thinking "more of a good thing is anything other than a good thing". 

The only caveat to me pulling the trigger on a Q2 (deserving of it or not, I doubt I'm deserving of a Q either...), would be if the price diff between the Q2 and what I can get for my Q is too great.  Too great, in my thinking, is more than 2-3k or so.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, jon m said:

Having recently come back to photography after many, many years I'm really loving the Q and what seems to be "enthusiast state-of-the-art" (or at least, "really good stuff").

I haven't seen anything in all the above (extremely interesting) discussion -- at least from a layman understanding -- that stops me thinking "more of a good thing is anything other than a good thing". 

The only caveat to me pulling the trigger on a Q2 (deserving of it or not, I doubt I'm deserving of a Q either...), would be if the price diff between the Q2 and what I can get for my Q is too great.  Too great, in my thinking, is more than 2-3k or so.

I’m in the same boat as you but have the option for another few weeks to return the q i just bought at full price and wait.  I might.  Probably will.  Maybe I won’t. I keep flip flopping.  Can’t wait to find out what I will do!

One thing I must think about is the speed of the sensor readout. Sony released a stacked 24MP FF Sensor in the A9 to use electronic shutter without (or with minimal) banding - or rolling shutter when using video. This sensor is ridiculously expensive. 

I love using the electronic shutter on my Qs - never to bother shooting F1.7 in bright sunlight wihout an ND filter.

To read out double the pixels from such a big sensor is not easy speedwise.

Another point is that these high resolution sensors are not that good with high ISOs (A7R3 and Z7 high ISO are worse than their 24mp counterparts A7III and Z6).

So all of this let me think if the Q2 really has 47 MP would the electronic shutter be as capable as the one in the Q? And what about high ISO performance?

I‘m really curious how all of this will work out in the Q2.

Greetings 

Erik

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

We just have to wait for the real price. May be less I hope.

Import duties, added value taxes, localization costs and exchange rate insurance have their ways to raise Leica prices outside of Euro zone.

More than the 4,690 € with VAT of the QP for sure.

Panasonic are charging 1,300€ more in Europe to get a S1R with 47MP instead of S1 with 24MP.  I am pretty sure that Leica will charge more than that. 

So how much : 5,000€ ? 5,500€ ? 6,000€ ?

Another problem, marketing :  M10 only have average performance Full frame sensor, matched by CL's APS-C one. 47MP used in Lumix S1R, seems to be excellent, on par with Sony and Nikon competition. 

• At 5,000€ Q2 with fast AF, great sensor, stellar lens, 4K video, dust and drip proof (M lenses are not) with 28mm @ 47MP + 35mm crop @ 30MP + 50mm crop @ 15MP will be a real threat to M10 sales.
  • At 5,500€ sweet spot ?
  • At 6,000€ will be hard to sell Q2, but M10 sales will be safer. 

So what's your bet ? 

19 minutes ago, nicci78 said:

Import duties, added value taxes, localization costs and exchange rate insurance have their ways to raise Leica prices outside of Euro zone.

Panasonic are charging 1,300€ more in Europe to get a S1R with 47MP instead of S1 with 24MP.  I am pretty sure that Leica will charge more than that. 

Another problem, marketing :  M10 only have average performance Full frame sensor, matched by CL's APS-C one. 47MP used in Lumix S1R, seems to be excellent, on par with Sony and Nikon competition. 

• At 5,000€ Q2 with fast AF, great sensor, stellar lens, 4K video, dust and drip proof (M lenses are not) with 28mm @ 47MP + 35mm crop @ 30MP + 50mm crop @ 15MP will be a real threat to M10 sales.
  • At 5,500€ sweet spot ?

So what's your bet ? 

Id rather let people argue over it being too expensive in the hope that it makes Leica take note and reduce the price :)

10 minutes ago, nicci78 said:

for Q owner like us, it does not change anything. A cheap Q2 will plummet Q used price. An expansive Q2, will still requires a big stash of money to upgrade.

It is a lose lose situation anyway 😥

I guess I am hoping for £4500 Q2, £3000 Q - optimism :)

hoping to clear about £5600+ for my Hasselblad X1D + xcd90mm lens, to cover the cost of a Q2

Edited by dancook

2 hours ago, nicci78 said:

• At 5,500€ sweet spot ?

So what's your bet ? 

sure..but its probably the same 47MP sensor which will be in the SL-mk2

what do Q sales have to do with the M10?

shooting AF & cropping a 47MP image is very different from using a rangefinder with a delicious manual focus lens...

• Like 2