Q2 47 mps, Dirt & Drip proof & new EVF (FWIW!)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

20 minutes ago, nicci78 said:

Leica store Ginza announced the Q2 price : 800 000 yen = 6 360 € = 7 215 $

FYI actual Q price in Japan is 560 000 yen = 4 450 € = 5 050 $

We are approaching a whopping 50% price increase in euros against Leica Q introduction price at June 2015 

Sorry, but it will be without me. 

So current uk price is £3500, we’re looking at £5000

(7215 / 5050) * 3500

Edited by dancook

Price puts aside, I bet the Q2 is more surprising than the same design cues suggest :

• Two parts unibody dust and drip proof build. Same as SL ? Instead of three aluminium shell over magnesium belt. 
  • Rubber protection bottom plate, à la SL. Photos show the thin rubber underneath on the Q2. Maybe with the genius battery system of TL and SL.
  • new screen. It definitely looks different on the leaked pictures
Edited by nicci78

15 hours ago, Mr.Q said:

Off went my Q to the new owner making me Q-less for the first time in 3.5 years. Looking forward to another 3-4 years with the Q2.

So, it was surplus to requirements? Possibly no need for a replacement.

3 minutes ago, macmania said:

Dan, do you have any portrait&/people examples, shot with the Q in 50mm Crop Mode, close distance, aperture 1.7?

For me this feature gets interesting(if sometimes needed and no Canon with 50/85mm is with me) with the Q2 and its higher resolution.

thanx,

greets

Marc

No I don't,

I've never used crop mode with the Q for anything other than the odd test, I was not interested in that much loss of resolution.

8 minutes ago, macmania said:

Dan, do you have any portrait&/people examples, shot with the Q in 50mm Crop Mode, close distance, aperture 1.7?

For me this feature gets interesting(if sometimes needed and no Canon with 50/85mm is with me) with the Q2 and its higher resolution.

thanx,

greets

Marc

In practice, it would not be recommended to use a wide angle lens at close range for portraits unless you were deliberately striving to get a strange distorted result.  No amount of cropping of a 28mm lens is going to equal the use of a longer focal length lens for portraiture if you desire realistic portrayal of the human face.

2 minutes ago, macmania said:

Ok, thank you.

Perhaps this could be interesting for you with the new model too?

The new model is likely to have a similar wide-angle lens to the Q. So the same characteristics apply, regardless of sensor resolution.

8 minutes ago, wda said:

In practice, it would not be recommended to use a wide angle lens at close range for portraits unless you were deliberately striving to get a strange distorted result.  No amount of cropping of a 28mm lens is going to equal the use of a longer focal length lens for portraiture if you desire realistic portrayal of the human face.

6 minutes ago, wda said:

The new model is likely to have a similar wide-angle lens to the Q. So the same characteristics apply, regardless of sensor resolution.

If you take a headshot with a 200mm lens, then take a photo with a 28mm lens from the same position and cropped it to match - the perspective would be the same (the image quality would not be there)

When using 50mm crop mode on the Leica Q - 'close' would be filling the 50mm frame lines, and would look the same as if you did the same with a 50mm lens.

except perhaps for depth of field and quality

Edited by dancook

3 minutes ago, macmania said:

Exactly, and the question is how will portraits look like in case of bokeh with the crop mode at 50mm. i can hardly find examples in the www.

Nicci posted this 2nd page

28mm = 47.3 MP f/1.7

35mm = 30.3 MP f/2.1

50mm = 14.8 MP f/2.55 

75mm =   6.6 MP f/4.55

So if you take a photo with a 50mm lens at f2.5 ish. you'll get an idea of DOF

Edited by dancook

Regarding distortion, the critical factor is the lens to subject distance. It has nothing to do with optical performance of the lens. The closer you get to a face, noses look disproportionately bigger.  28mm lenses can be used successfully for environmental portraiture providing faces are not positioned near the frame edges of full 28mm coverage. There is less of a risk of this happening when the subject is centred for cropping. Only close distances should be avoided if you want to please your subjects.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, wda said:

Regarding distortion, the critical factor is the lens to subject distance. It has nothing to do with optical performance of the lens. The closer you get to a face, noses look disproportionately bigger.  28mm lenses can be used successfully for environmental portraiture providing faces are not positioned near the frame edges of full 28mm coverage. There is less of a risk of this happening when the subject is centred for cropping. Only close distances should be avoided if you want to please your subjects.

It seems we're on the same page about lens to subject distance, but you quoted macmania talking about using the 50mm crop mode. You would work at the same distance as you would a 50mm lens. Therefore it matters not that the lens is capable of 28mm and getting closer.

Edited by dancook

1 hour ago, dancook said:

It seems we're on the same page about lens to subject distance, but you quoted macmania talking about using the 50mm crop mode. You would work at the same distance as you would a 50mm lens. Therefore it matters not that the lens is capable of 28mm and getting closer.

Dan, for a head to fill the frame with 50mm field of view requires a shooting distance of about 20". Imagine the facial distortion that would record. A recommended minimum shooting distance with a 50mm lens would be about 60" (5 feet) which would be difficult to assess in camera while using a 28mm lens. Whichever way you look at it, a 28mm lens is not a lens of choice for serious portraiture, cropped or otherwise.

There are many other subjects which might benefit from in-camera cropping to 50mm equivalence where closer access is denied. But I would not include close-up portraiture as one of them.