Q2 47 mps, Dirt & Drip proof & new EVF (FWIW!)

I think that you are right. 24MP APS-C have the same pixel pitch of a potential 54 MP full frame sensor.

There is no problem with such APS-C sensor, so it should not be that different with a 47 MP 24x36 one. 

20 MP m4/3 are even more challenging with their 80MP full frame pixel pitch equivalent. But m4/3 have stellar image stabilisation. 

Just noticed that many US retailers dropped the price of the Q about 10%.   The Q-P remains at the same price as when it was released, leaving the Q-P now a full 25 percent more expensive than the Q.   $3,999 and $4,999, respectively.  This is really making it harder to justify the cost of the Q-P over the Q (a decision I made about 4 weeks ago)......and at $3,999 for the Q, the difference in cost between the Q and the Q2 is going to be huge.  

Always so much hand-wringing when a manufacturer bumps up resolution dramatically. ISO will not suffer as the sensor tech has improved to compensate or improve high-ISO output. This won't be a Canon 5DsR.

Regarding motion blur, you'll alway hear the "blur is the same no matter the megapixel" story repeated over and over, which is fine if you view them both at the downsampled size or never compare them at 1:1. With close to 50mp in resolution, what will happen is you will be able to "notice" motion blur at 1:1 that the lower resolution shot doesn't have the acuity to render at its 1:1. That said, (as has already mentioned by others), the Q with its leaf shutter lens has an advantage over even a GFX and of course a DSLR with its slapping mirror. But of course the Q won't be able to compete as well in low light against IBIS bodies like the S1R and (hopefully) the SL2.

6 minutes ago, MCJ said:

Just noticed that many US retailers dropped the price of the Q about 10%.   The Q-P remains at the same price as when it was released, leaving the Q-P now a full 25 percent more expensive than the Q.   $3,999 and $4,999, respectively.  This is really making it harder to justify the cost of the Q-P over the Q (a decision I made about 4 weeks ago)......and at $3,999 for the Q, the difference in cost between the Q and the Q2 is going to be huge.  

There won't be a Q2-P for at least four years, and I hope to enjoy my Q-P for at least that long. There is usually little justification beyond of personal pleasure to pay more for special-edition Leicas, and losing that personal pleasure is going to be easy to do if you obsess about a new model everyone knew was coming.

The Specs on the new leaks of the Q2 sound okay for anyone who's after them specific specs. Am fine with what Leica did with the first Q. What am really after is the Leica SL tip 601 (could careless about SL 2, Leica doesn't make you feel that your first purchase was a bad one by making a new one).   

Edited by Hazesus

22 minutes ago, dancook said:

£2900? :D hah I doubt it. 

Yes, that made my day as well! The Q2 may well take sales away from the M10 and variants, which is not at the end of its product cycle. I suspect that means the Q2 will be priced with that in mind. I'm betting on > $5500. The only thing which keeps the price somewhat anchored is potential competition from the Lumix S1R and the expected SL2. 

• Like 1

Wow. Only three buttons on the back. Play, Fn, Menu. I love it. Very simple. Like the CL Ergonomics. I expected that's what they'd do. 

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, dancook said:

I took an image off camera size for comparison, the inverted overlay is Q2

tried to match the shutter wheel and hot shoe for size

I think that you got it wrong. Q and Q2 have exactly the same size. You did not align the hot shoe.

Accessories will be compatible.

OLED EVF is only place more at the left side, leaving more room for the CL diopter adjustment dial

The lens is the same, only the macro ring is made larger, for better grip. Therefore the distance scale is a narrower.

Only a Q with CL accents : dial with button within, three buttons layout and no video button (very sad about it), OLED EVF, shutter with only ON/OFF position and same diopter dial

• Like 2

Be still my heart. No video button. How will we ever upgrade the firmware? 

It appears to me that Leica really listened to the feedback from this forum.

All the changes I see are positive including the on / off switch. No more C/S. Yeah!

Let's hope the image quality is equally improved with the new sensor and the EVF performance is excellent.

Leica may have just hit ANOTHER home run!

Edited by Infiniumguy
  • Haha 1

wow. Really excited! I'll be holding off as long as possible (just bought a CL to go with my Q). 

Ken Rockwell said something very funny (and sarcastic) about the lack of delete button on the M10: because Leica users never make bad pictures.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 minutes ago, nicci78 said:

I think that you got it wrong. Q and Q2 have exactly the same size. You did not align the hot shoe.

Accessories will be compatible.

OLED EVF is only place more at the left side, leaving more room for the CL diopter adjustment dial

The lens is the same, only the macro ring is made larger, for better grip. Therefore the distance scale is a narrower.

Only a Q with CL accents : dial with button within, three buttons layout and no video button (very sad about it), OLED EVF, shutter with only ON/OFF position and same diopter dial

What if you’re wrong? 😜