Q2 47 mps, Dirt & Drip proof & new EVF (FWIW!)

Does anyone know what an EL EVF is?

here is what I fantasize. That when you change  the crop mode from 28 to 35 to 50 and now to 75, it is not just an increasingly smaller outline within the EVF. Rather, the viewfinder magnifies to become that focal length in the entire screen. It would effectively be a zoom EVF, not a zoom lens. The outputted dng continues to be 28mm but the composition and focal point are effectively determined by the EVF and you can then make that dng crop in post.  Jpgs are cropped in the camera. Comparing the jpg to the dng in post becomes a guide to what you composed.

Whether this is true or not, 2 very important implications if the rumors are true. 

First, if it is announced on March 6, I’d expect the SL2 announced soon afterward because they’d share some technology and they need the news out before Panasonic ships in April. 

Second, I continue to think the M must be significantly transformed (EVF and bigger sensor at the very least) to avoid being put out of business by a Q2 that effectively covers the normal M range. 

• Like 2

I understand if people complain about the 50/1.4 or 24-90 size, even though the overall handling is ok on the SL body.

The 75 handles really good, it doesnt feel big or heavy at all, so the 35 and 50 feel the same. Yes, there are smaller 35 and 50mm lenses, but there are also 35 and 50mm lenses which are not that great wide open. I think the M is aimed on small size, the S on maximun IQ , and the SL system is in between.

For people looking for small size its probably better to look into m43 (but not the pro level lenses) or Sony (but not the pro level lenses).

2 hours ago, bags27 said:

here is what I fantasize. That when you change  the crop mode from 28 to 35 to 50 and now to 75, it is not just an increasingly smaller outline within the EVF. Rather, the viewfinder magnifies to become that focal length in the entire screen. It would effectively be a zoom EVF, not a zoom lens. The outputted dng continues to be 28mm but the composition and focal point are effectively determined by the EVF and you can then make that dng crop in post.  Jpgs are cropped in the camera. Comparing the jpg to the dng in post becomes a guide to what you composed.

Whether this is true or not, 2 very important implications if the rumors are true. 

First, if it is announced on March 6, I’d expect the SL2 announced soon afterward because they’d share some technology and they need the news out before Panasonic ships in April. 

Second, I continue to think the M must be significantly transformed (EVF and bigger sensor at the very least) to avoid being put out of business by a Q2 that effectively covers the normal M range. 

My guess is an EL EVF is a Leica branded name for high resolution. The panasonic EVF is 5.7 MPixels. They don’t call it EL. 

I'll be happy to add the Q2 alongside the Q-P without regret. His and hers for travel.

For the 75mm crop, I hope they give us an additional option to zoom the image crop to fill the EVF (like the GFX does with 35mm mode) versus only having the white crop lines. A 75mm crop box on a 28mm lens is getting pretty small.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, bags27 said:

...Second, I continue to think the M must be significantly transformed (EVF and bigger sensor at the very least) to avoid being put out of business by a Q2 that effectively covers the normal M range. 

The M will take a hit on all fronts – Q with 47mp and a 47mp SL2 with IBIS and a 150mp pixel shift mode. Imagine every M lens stabilized on an optimized Leica sensor (versus Sony, etc.'s corner smearing).

2 hours ago, hdmesa said:

The only thing I'm not looking forward to are the inevitable and inane overreactions the first time someone refers to the current Q as the "Q1".

OMG. I just did that. I may be crucified. I think I’ll go back and edit my message to be the Q and only the Q

i just edited my previous message. I hope I’m not ostracized from the forum.  😉

Edited by Infiniumguy
  • Haha 3

2 hours ago, Infiniumguy said:

My guess is an EL EVF is a Leica branded name for high resolution. The panasonic EVF is 5.7 MPixels. They don’t call it EL. 

I think "EL" is "electroluminescent" (OLED).

The Q has an "LCoS" viewfinder (Liquid Crystal (LCD)). So if the Q2 has an "EL" viewfinder it may mean that Leica is upgrading the viewfinder display from LCD to OLED like those on high-end smartphones and televisions.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, macalba said:

I think "EL" is "electroluminescent" (OLED).

The Q has an "LCoS" viewfinder (Liquid Crystal (LCD)). So if the Q2 has an "EL" viewfinder it may mean that Leica is upgrading the viewfinder display from LCD to OLED like those on high-end smartphones and televisions.

Pretty smart for a newbie 😀 Seriously, welcome!

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Infiniumguy said:

macalba is correct - AFAIK the “EL” is not related to resolution but the display technology. Fuji describe the EVF of their latest XE-3 as “an organic EL electronic viewfinder” and that has only 2.36m dots......

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Alex U. said:

Does somebody know how many MP you need as a minimum to print 1m wide (resp. approx. 37“)?

I did a quick google for a calculator, but you need to add viewing distance to the equation

http://www.northlight-images.co.uk/what-print-resolution-works-for-what-viewing-distance/

I'm off out now, good luck

17 hours ago, bags27 said:

Just bad japanese translation. It is just OLED viewfinder. Best EVF tech available now. 

Resolution is still unknown though. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Alex U. said:

Does somebody know how many MP you need as a minimum to print 1m wide (resp. approx. 37“)?

Hi Alex, 

I work as a printer, and unfortunately there is not really an easy answer for this. People's perceptions differ, and the tolerance level also varies depending on the subject matter, viewing distance and preference of the user. I have printed standard definition video stills to 1m wide that have been sold by galleries. They are mushy, but for some people, they do not mind at all (or even notice...they just take it as part of the aesthetic). In general, however, I would suggest a minimum of 18-20mp from a very good camera. The M9 could reach 1m, though it was a bit of a stretch. The 5DII looked a little worse, despite having more resolution. I would imagine that at low ISO, the 24mp Q would look ok at 1m by 66, if you captured it carefully. At 47mp it would look great, all else being equal. 

And I am speaking now from a technical standpoint. I have no doubt that a good photograph taken by the Q would still be a good photograph whether it was printed at A4 or 1mx67. I recall David Zwirner gallery in NY had William Eggleston prints from the 70s blown up to 1mX1.5m or so, despite being taken on 70s era color film. Doing so was controversial, but I was struck by the quality of the prints...their printer was superb, but part of the issue is that a good photo is a good photo regardless of size. The prints were grainy and soft, but it did not diminish the enjoyment. 

Edited by Stuart Richardson
  • Like 4

1 hour ago, Stuart Richardson said:

Hi Alex, 

I work as a printer, and unfortunately there is not really an easy answer for this. People's perceptions differ, and the tolerance level also varies depending on the subject matter, viewing distance and preference of the user. I have printed standard definition video stills to 1m wide that have been sold by galleries. They are mushy, but for some people, they do not mind at all (or even notice...they just take it as part of the aesthetic). In general, however, I would suggest a minimum of 18-20mp from a very good camera. The M9 could reach 1m, though it was a bit of a stretch. The 5DII looked a little worse, despite having more resolution. I would imagine that at low ISO, the 24mp Q would look ok at 1m by 66, if you captured it carefully. At 47mp it would look great, all else being equal. 

And I am speaking now from a technical standpoint. I have no doubt that a good photograph taken by the Q would still be a good photograph whether it was printed at A4 or 1mx67. I recall David Zwirner gallery in NY had William Eggleston prints from the 70s blown up to 1mX1.5m or so, despite being taken on 70s era color film. Doing so was controversial, but I was struck by the quality of the prints...their printer was superb, but part of the issue is that a good photo is a good photo regardless of size. The prints were grainy and soft, but it did not diminish the enjoyment. 

Stusrt,

Thank you for your experienced perspective on this very complex topic. A great print certainly has a lot more going for it than resolution. I pretty much do not try to print below 240 pixels / in. Do you have a minimum you normally advise. I have been amazed at tools like Lightroom (I’m sure there are better ones) that can do modest upsizing to increase resolution without noticeable artifacts. So much depends on viewing distance. Thank you for your insights. 

Edited by Infiniumguy
  • Like 1