Q2 47 mps, Dirt & Drip proof & new EVF (FWIW!)

Advertisement (gone after registration)

A 47,3 MP Q2 will give us quite great crop/zoom capability :

28mm = 47.3 MP f/1.7

35mm = 30.3 MP f/2.1

50mm = 14.8 MP f/2.55 

75mm =   6.6 MP f/4.55

Just for comparaison sake with 24MP with CL/TL2 and 16MP with T/TL & depth of field equivalent :

Vario-Elmar-TL 18-56mm will give us 28-85mm f/5.25-8.4 

TL primes will give us

Elmarit-TL 18mm = 28mm f/4.2

Summicron-TL 23mm = 35mm f/3.0

Summilux-TL 35mm = 50mm f/2.1

APO-Macro-Elmarit-TL = 90mm f/4.2

Q2 with 47MP will be a real Tri-Summilux-Q 28-35-50 or even a Quad-Summilux-Q with an emergency 75mm

No zoom but a Summilux-Q with variable sensor size, pixel count and equivalent depth of field. Brilliant  

FYI CL + Summilux-TL 35mm crop at 75mm = 10.7 MP f/3.15

• Like 2

I really hope they don’t put a ridiculous 47mp in the Q2. Cropping 28mm is not shooting 35, 50 or anything else. Does somebody shooting a Q really need that many MP? Those filesizes are too big. I hope way more for a different focal length.

• Like 4

Cropping 28mm requires patience and discipline to get images for large prints.  But it works well (in most cases).

Having tried moving from a 24mp sensor to a 50mp sensor on a DSLR tested the very limits of my skills (and older lenses).

Somehow I feel that the superb 28/1.7 will be up to the task.  Let's hope my skills can improve to assure great results cropping a 47mp image.

• Like 3

I downloaded a RAW file from a Hassy 50. I ran it through Photoshop and NIK collection and it came out with something like 750 mb file! Storage of RAW/dng from a 47 mps sensor is going to be somewhat of a challenge.

OTOH, the Q lens is up for it. At Photokina, a Leica rep said that the L mount lenses are designed for sensors > 100 mps. I have to believe that the Q lens can handle half of that well, as will all new M lenses. If anything, these lenses are "too sharp," which is why there is such a large market for software that renders digital images more film like. 

• Like 2

Advertisement (gone after registration)

With a 750MB file, that's still around 5000 RAW images on a 4TB drive if I did my math right.  Seems ok to me, particularly since drive sizes will keep growing, along with the size of the images needing stored.  Things like uploading and post-processing, I'm not as sure about effect. But for post work at least, newer computers will come with faster CPUs and memory, so that should help compensate for larger file sizes also.

Looking over this forum it seems people have been sure the Q2 was imminent for like a year or more   That said, whenever it does come out, is it safe to assume they will (a) discontinue the original Q? or (b) keep the original Q but reduce the price? or (c) keep the original Q and the price as is but sell the Q2 for a higher price?   I’m still deciding what to do with my 3 week old Q-P.   If a Q price drop is in the offing, then I may just punt the entire decision, return it and wait to see what happens   Even if I keep the Q, a cheaper brand new one would be pretty cool.  Any ideas from historical Leica behavior?

Edited by MCJ

As usual : Leica will keep the Q at a slightly lower price. Eventually replacing it with a Q-E (cripple version a little bit cheaper) 

Q2 47MP will definitely be much more expensive. Just look at the premium Panasonic ask for a Lumix S1R 47MP vs S1 24MP. 

In France major camera seller FNAC start Leica Q and Q-P clearance, to make place for Q2. First time ever discount about Q in France. 

-7% the Q go back to its introduction price of 3995€

-10% for the Q-P, now 4221€ 

It is not a limited time offer. Until now Q was under a no discount policy at FNAC, even for fidelity card holder. 

My bet : Q-E will be priced 3995€ & Q2 4995€ (at the beginning then 5250€ two months later, typical Leica policy for success products. As seen before for M10, Q and CL)

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

Edited by nicci78

Welcome, dear visitor! As registered member you'd see an image here…

Simply register for free here – We are always happy to welcome new members!

I'm really not that fussed about the resolution - how many people are printing larger than 20"?

And having a much higher resolution sensor so you can crop only really makes sense if - like some phone cameras these days - you're able to combine pixel outputs to give you higher sensitivity and dynamic range at a lower resolution.

Don't see that happening on a FF sensor for quite some time yet.

vor 1 Stunde schrieb earleygallery:

Do you really want to be that guy?.....

Yes, for me no problem, because I usually don't buy "first generation or production run" (expensive) electronic stuff, or cars, etc..
And I'm no Betatester for Leica and can wait until the "Kinderkrankheiten" are fixed.

Edited by SchneiderPetr

If I do feel the need for a larger sensor Q, I'd be in line for the very first one, and not worry about being a beta-tester.

Virtually every Leica is "first generation". They generally improve digital cameras through firmware, not usually by hardware, and certainly not by significant hardware. If there is a really significant design flaw--such as a compromised sensor on the M9--they fix that for free. Well, sure, M10 owners could have waited TWO YEARS for the silent shutter and no red dot. And sure, Q owners could have waited FOUR YEARS to have a slightly different shutter release. But aside from those breath-taking innovations (sarcasm emoji here) and the very cool stealth look (same emoji), people who waited and waited lost the opportunity to enjoy a camera and develop their skills with it. Life is short: eat dessert first.

• Like 4

31 minutes ago, bags27 said:

If I do feel the need for a larger sensor Q, I'd be in line for the very first one, and not worry about being a beta-tester.

Virtually every Leica is "first generation". They generally improve digital cameras through firmware, not usually by hardware, and certainly not by significant hardware. If there is a really significant design flaw--such as a compromised sensor on the M9--they fix that for free. Well, sure, M10 owners could have waited TWO YEARS for the silent shutter and no red dot. And sure, Q owners could have waited FOUR YEARS to have a slightly different shutter release. But aside from those breath-taking innovations (sarcasm emoji here) and the very cool stealth look (same emoji), people who waited and waited lost the opportunity to enjoy a camera and develop their skills with it. Life is short: eat dessert first.

I really like this Bags fellow.

• Like 1

I just feel that the old adage of "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" rings true with this camera. I was lucky enough to get mine within a month of release. I've  loved every moment since and admit to regularly picking it up just to admire its quality and design. I will then take a picture and the only thing that spoils it is me. I have a well worn case, a Harry Benz strap and a nicely brassed Thumbs up grip. Do I need 42 mega pixels? No. Would all of the wonderful pictures we have all enthused about on this site be improved by more pixels and possibly a different lense? No. Is the massive and heartfelt enthusiasm from virtually all who contribute to these posts  for the camera going to drain away on the day of the release of a new one? No ,or at least I hope not. Are we honestly saying that the picture taken by the French bloke of the chap jumping across the puddle would have been better with a Q or Q2? Discuss. 

• Like 1

I bought a Q shortly after its release. Then traded it last year and almost immediately regretted it. Now bought the Q-P and am very happy, if only for its sheer aesthetic beauty.  For my use, I don't feel the need for a better EVF.  Only annoyance is the on/off switch, especially the order of the S en C functions.

• Like 2

• jaapv changed the title to Q2 47 mps, Dirt & Drip proof & new EVF (FWIW!)