D Lux battery charge problem

Advertisement (gone after registration)

My D Lux 109 loses battery charge when the battery is left in the camera, even when the camera is power switched off. A fully charged battery loses about 0.3-0.4 volts per day, and then rapidly discharges to zero volts after about four or five days.

Leica camera repairer here in Australia said they had never seen this problem, and suggested that it would be a battery fault (even though it happens with two different batteries that I had).I purchased a new battery, and the discharge happens with the new battery too. So it is not a battery issue.

Searching the internet indicates that other owners worldwide have also experienced this problem with the D Lux 109, and also with its sibling Panasonic LUMIX LX100. But a simple answer is not evident.

i could solve the issue by removing the battery if I know that I won’t be using the camera for a day or two. But I really would like to simply leave the battery in the camera, and know that it will still have charge if I come back to the camera after three days.

Is anyone else aware of this problem ? What is the main issue ? What is the best approach to repair ? Any good advice would be appreciated.

9 hours ago, WayneG said:

My D Lux 109 loses battery charge when the battery is left in the camera, even when the camera is power switched off. A fully charged battery loses about 0.3-0.4 volts per day, and then rapidly discharges to zero volts after about four or five days.

Leica camera repairer here in Australia said they had never seen this problem, and suggested that it would be a battery fault (even though it happens with two different batteries that I had).I purchased a new battery, and the discharge happens with the new battery too. So it is not a battery issue.

Searching the internet indicates that other owners worldwide have also experienced this problem with the D Lux 109, and also with its sibling Panasonic LUMIX LX100. But a simple answer is not evident.

i could solve the issue by removing the battery if I know that I won’t be using the camera for a day or two. But I really would like to simply leave the battery in the camera, and know that it will still have charge if I come back to the camera after three days.

Is anyone else aware of this problem ? What is the main issue ? What is the best approach to repair ? Any good advice would be appreciated.

I used to have the very same problem with the D-Lux (109). After some tests it turned out that the camera itself clearly had caused the problem. Because after the release of the D-Lux7 I decided NOT to upgrade to the latter (no attractive new feature for me) from the 109 and consequently contacted Leica in Wetzlar to get an estimate of costs: 270 €  😢

The 109 is now repaired and serves me well.

Andreas