Sign in to follow this  
DAVIDMC100

Auto ISO question on CL

Advertisement (gone after registration)

I'm getting used to my CL, using with M lenses in A mode. But when I use Auto ISO it seems like it doesn't calculate shutter speed properly?? It under exposes. But when I put it on for instance on ISO 800 it does fine. Any thoughts?

I can't be sure without more information from you, but A mode is relatively foolproof, since it needs no information from the lens.  Make sure that exposure compensation is zeroed or set for whatever small correction is appropriate, then check the minimum shutter speed set as part of the Auto ISO parameters.  1/f or 1/2f are common defaults.  If you have a 90 mm lens installed and are shooting inside, you may need a shutter speed slower than the minimum of, say 1/180, and the camera won't give it to you.  When you half press the shutter, the image will darken to warn you of this.

9 hours ago, DAVIDMC100 said:

I'm getting used to my CL, using with M lenses in A mode. But when I use Auto ISO it seems like it doesn't calculate shutter speed properly?? It under exposes. But when I put it on for instance on ISO 800 it does fine. Any thoughts?

As Scott already indicated the minimum shutter speed in the AUTO ISO settings might cause underexposure if there is not enough light since it is a hard lower boundary in this mode. The default factory setting is 1/3f which guarantees  sharp images. Selecting ISO 800 let the CL select the appropriate exposure time which might require a tripod to avoid hand hold induced motion blur in a 24MP image. 

Thanks gentlemen, after reading the posts I think I my camera is hitting minimum shutter speed so pictures are under exposed.