Auto ISO question on CL

I can't be sure without more information from you, but A mode is relatively foolproof, since it needs no information from the lens.  Make sure that exposure compensation is zeroed or set for whatever small correction is appropriate, then check the minimum shutter speed set as part of the Auto ISO parameters.  1/f or 1/2f are common defaults.  If you have a 90 mm lens installed and are shooting inside, you may need a shutter speed slower than the minimum of, say 1/180, and the camera won't give it to you.  When you half press the shutter, the image will darken to warn you of this.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, DAVIDMC100 said:

I'm getting used to my CL, using with M lenses in A mode. But when I use Auto ISO it seems like it doesn't calculate shutter speed properly?? It under exposes. But when I put it on for instance on ISO 800 it does fine. Any thoughts?

As Scott already indicated the minimum shutter speed in the AUTO ISO settings might cause underexposure if there is not enough light since it is a hard lower boundary in this mode. The default factory setting is 1/3f which guarantees  sharp images. Selecting ISO 800 let the CL select the appropriate exposure time which might require a tripod to avoid hand hold induced motion blur in a 24MP image. 

• 1 year later...

Got my CL yesterday and have a problem with Auto ISO too!

Settings:
- A-Mode
- Auto ISO on
- max. ISO 3200
- max. exposure 1/f /(1/2,1/3 ... doesn't solve the problem)
- FW version  3.1
- M Lenses via adapter

The camera takes always ISO 100!

My fault?

PS: Updated to FW f3.2, doesn't help.

With fix max. shutter speed numbers it works, but why did Leica immplement the self calculating options 1/f, 1/2 ...
All my ohter camera can do it, my (Ex-) M too!

Edited by cp995

I am on shaky ground here, as I am not a fan of auto-ISO to put it mildly - I refuse to let camera designers take control from my hands- but are you aware that 1/f refers to focal length and not aperture?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

3 hours ago, cp995 said:

Got my CL yesterday and have a problem with Auto ISO too!

Settings:
- A-Mode
- Auto ISO on
- max. ISO 3200
- max. exposure 1/f /(1/2,1/3 ... doesn't solve the problem)
- FW version  3.1
- M Lenses via adapter

The camera takes always ISO 100!

My fault?

PS: Updated to FW f3.2, doesn't help.

With fix max. shutter speed numbers it works, but why did Leica immplement the self calculating options 1/f, 1/2 ...
All my ohter camera can do it, my (Ex-) M too!

The camera needs to know the lens for 1/f, 1/(2f) and so on otherwise it cannot guess the focal length in use. Use a coded lens or choose a lens profile and it should work.

I've rarely ever used auto ISO with the M cameras or my Olympus outfits, but with the CL, that's what I use by default.

I like that the camera in auto ISO will up the ISO setting in one-third stop increments. Far as I can see, when I manually select ISO's there's only the full stop options of 100, 200, 400, etc.

Auto ISO, Aperture Priority with the camera set to select shutter speeds at 4x focal length in use, right wheel for exposure compensation and left wheel for aperture selection.

I also only shoot raw, expose for highlights, often raising the ever-loving heck out of the shadows in Adobe Camera raw and the sensor in the camera is just outstanding. Much better highlights retention and better-performing at higher ISO settings than my M262.

Edited by Gregm61

vor 7 Stunden schrieb lct:

The camera needs to know the lens for 1/f, 1/(2f) and so on otherwise it cannot guess the focal length in use. Use a coded lens or choose a lens profile and it should work.

I use a profile, but the cam always takes ISO 100!

Did you use the Leica M-Adapter-L or another one ?
It is possible that software correction and auto ISO only work with the official adapter. Even if you can select the lens in the menu selection. 
Without the focal length information. The CL will consider the lens as 0mm focal length. Hence a non functioning auto ISO 

I`m just getting use to my CL too.

Presently using M lenses and ,as is my habit, I always switch everything to manual and proceed from there .

I actually prefer manual but thought I`d try auto iso  as I`m often shooting in widely different lighting conditions.

I found it too "generous" and it was (for me) overexposing so I knocked the EV back a notch and it`s fine although I haven`t decided if I`m going to remain on that setting .

I`m using the Leica adapter .

3 hours ago, cp995 said:

I use a profile, but the cam always takes ISO 100!

If you use a lens profile (not user profile), it might be that it is not recognized by the camera for some reason. A conflict with DIY coding perhaps? I would restart the camera, try another lens with another profile and see if it works. If it does you may wish to try the previous lens and profile again. Just an idea.

I think that Leica does not treat third party adapters as its own. 

I really love auto ISO. It is foolproof. It is very easy to use. Sadly we cannot choose 1/1000th sec as the minimum. It would have been useful for macro and long lens shots. 1/500th sec is not fast enough.

With auto ISO, you only have to manage aperture, speed and exposure compensation. Just choose 3x the focal length at least. 4x if you want maximum sharpness. The longer the lens, the more you would have to choose 4x. 2x is not really enough, because of APS-C 1.5x crop. 

For wide angle, just choose something like 1/80th at least. To avoid any unwanted movement blur.

Do not forget to disable autoISO for tripod works. Just create a profile for tripod. 

vor 59 Minuten schrieb jaapv:

The point is that third-party adapters cannot have 6-bit readers, nor electronic connections, as those are patented.

A lot of Leica M-Lenses don't have 6-Bit coding and one can use the profiles provided by the camera.
So this should have nothing to do with the adapter, as M-Lenses don't have electronic connections.
Or do you think the profiles are stored in the adapter? Never ...

Edited by cp995

vor einer Stunde schrieb lct:

Not sure why auto iso would need a Leica adapter. I suspect it doesn't but i may be wrong.

I think Auto ISO needs the Leica Adapter due to the contacts.
There ist no electronic function behind this except activating the profile (lens datat from the reader or from activating the lensprofile in the camera).
Without closing the contact there will be no profile applied and no EXIFs written!
Nikon does the same with their FTZ Adapter ...

Edited by cp995

2 hours ago, cp995 said:

A lot of Leica M-Lenses don't have 6-Bit coding and one can use the profiles provided by the camera.
So this should have nothing to do with the adapter, as M-Lenses don't have electronic connections.
Or do you think the profiles are stored in the adapter? Never ...

The issue is that Leica CL know that it is not a official M-Adapter-L, hence crippling functionalities. Such as software correction, EXIF, magnification through top dial or auto ISO

Don't forget that Leica M-Adapter-L communicate with T/TL/TL2/CL/SL/SL2 bodies through a contact strip. 

49 minutes ago, cp995 said:

I think Auto ISO needs the Leica Adapter due to the contacts.
There ist no electronic function behind this except activating the profile (lens datat from the reader or from activating the lensprofile in the camera).
Without closing the contact there will be no profile applied and no EXIFs written!
Nikon does the same with their FTZ Adapter ...

Yes, seems that's the issue.  I'm not an Auto ISO user on the CL but just to confirm Auto ISO works fine with Leica Adaptor but when I tried with a close focus 7 Artisans adaptor,   the camera in auto iso stays at 100.

Yes, you have to choose a minimum shutter speed when using a third party adaptor. The 1/f, etc choices won’t work. You have to choose a real shutter speed (1/250 etc). 
None of my lenses are coded (all old LTM lenses), but I can still use Auto ISO if I want this way. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1