Advertisement (gone after registration)

15 minutes ago, lenspeeper said:

Good grief. How the H_ll should I know? Leica made its design choices and if one buys the camera or doesn't, it's the buyers decision. If the choice is to buy it, it is because most features outweigh those of the competition. I consider this to be a minor issue. If you want major issues, buy a Sony and deal with their customer unfriendly features like their menus and the inability to disable poorly placed video buttons, etc. BTW, I Understand that the latest download allows one to interchange the wheel function. If so, it is not an issue.

The firmware only allows the switching of what function the left and right wheels operate (e.g. swap between Shutter Speed and Exposure Compensation in A Mode), but there is no option that allows for choosing the stop down direction of each function like on the SL.  

1 minute ago, geoffreyg said:

Really? A bit of an overreaction to a design decision. You can be assured if they designed something someway, they had a reason. They always do. You might disagree with their assumptions or their conclusions, but flippant they are not. Never have been. 

I think we are just wondering why the discrepancy between the SL and CL regarding allowing users to customize the stop down direction of the command wheels, as Leica seems to have a unity across different camera bodies in their lineup otherwise (CL getting M10's 3 buttons, Q2 having almost the same button configuration of CL). 

4 hours ago, geoffreyg said:

Really? A bit of an overreaction to a design decision. You can be assured if they designed something someway, they had a reason. They always do. You might disagree with their assumptions or their conclusions, but flippant they are not. Never have been. 

Agree. Not sure if it is overreaction or a symptom of obsessive-compulsive but that is a consideration above my pay grade.😁

I think we should move on.

It is all relative. If you turn the wheel to the right, you move your thumb to the left...:rolleyes:

Looks like the left wheel was designed to be turned with the index finger when the camera is placed at eye level. At least, it is the way i use it personally so i find exposure compensation perfectly logical and intuitive from this standpoint. YMMV.

Advertisement (gone after registration)

2 hours ago, lct said:

Looks like the left wheel was designed to be turned with the index finger when the camera is placed at eye level. At least, it is the way i use it personally so i find exposure compensation perfectly logical and intuitive from this standpoint. YMMV.

Of course - That ^^ makes perfect sense

OMG I can't handle this. I thought I had it sorted. It seemed to work well in use, and I could take photographs without thinking about the camera.

Now I've started worrying about my thumb going left (or right) and the dial going right (or left) and aperture going up (or down) or wider (or smaller). Which is which????

And now I have to decide if I'm using my thumb or index finger on the left or right dial. I don't know - I've never even thought about it!!

Life used to be so simple.

😫

Same about the shutter speed dial of M cameras since the fifties. Easier to turn with the index finger than with the thumb when the camera is placed at eye level. Even easier with the Leicameter but the real Leica man have no experience of that ;)

After much consideration and hours spent trying various methods in order to achieve perfection regarding which dial should do what, I made a profound discovery that should satisfy all users who are dissatisfied with the default dial arrangement. Hold the camera up to your eye with the camera inverted so that the battery door faces up. Then the dials will be in the orientation so many believe is correct. Thus, as they say "alles ist in ordnung". Problem solved.😉

I choose not to think about these things very much. If the camera doesn't work well for me, I look more carefully and analyze why, then I see if I can make an accommodation in how I use it that suits me better. If that doesn't work, I soon trade it off for something else. 

The CL works just fine for me. Whenever I've found something that was a bit off, a tiny change to the configuration, or just a minor accommodation on my part made it feel utterly natural. 

BTW: I am in the camp of those who use Aperture Priority AE, tweaked by EV Compensation, for most of my photography nowadays. I use Manual exposure mostly when I am making a number of photos in very changeable circumstances where the main light on my subject isn't changing but the surroundings are ... This lets me get the "right" exposure for my subject for however many photos I might make in those circumstances. 

Since I use only R and M lenses on my CL, APAE and Manual are my only choices... :D

On 4/25/2019 at 1:03 PM, LocalHero1953 said:

Life used to be so simple.

I'm thinking: stay with the defaults and train my reflexes.  At least for now.

PS love the images on your website Paul, particularly "the choir" series.  Great pictures, great variety, and must have been a hoot for everyone involved.  I might plagiarise it 😁.  Did you shoot them with the CL?

3 hours ago, rob_w said:

I'm thinking: stay with the defaults and train my reflexes.  At least for now.

PS love the images on your website Paul, particularly "the choir" series.  Great pictures, great variety, and must have been a hoot for everyone involved.  I might plagiarise it 😁.  Did you shoot them with the CL?

Thank you, Rob!

Yes, it was my way of getting into portrait photography and lighting with a list of friendly sitters. A donation to choir funds was made for each one.
They were taken with M9, M240 and SL. I use just the SL for portraits now: the Ms are sold and I prefer the IQ, DoF control and faster AF of the system over the CL, good though the latter is.