lcd32bit

Fujifilm hell-bent on discontinuing films - why?

Advertisement (gone after registration)

A price increase is better news than a cessation.

BTW rather disappointed in Kodak ProImage 100, their "tropical climate" negative film I used for my India trip. Lowish saturation and slightly wishy-washy look to it. I wish I had just stuck to my usual Ektar 100. The couple of rolls of Kodak Ultramax 400 I took, look considerably better than the ProImage 100 with no more grain and better colour. 

Wilson

As of July 2018, Fujifilm was supposedly "looking into" the possibility of resurrecting Acros 100.  There has been no news since that initial report.

I guess they stopped looking... 🙄

1 hour ago, Herr Barnack said:

As of July 2018, Fujifilm was supposedly "looking into" the possibility of resurrecting Acros 100.  There has been no news since that initial report.

I guess they stopped looking... 🙄

I find that if I get someone else to develop Adox Silvermax 100 in the correct Silvermax developer, it is every bit as fine grain as Acros. BTW Fotoimpex still have Acros in stock. I am allergic to Hydroquinone, so am limited in the developers I can use and when I have developed Silvermax in my usual HQ-free Rodinal, it has come out with rather blocky shadows and over contrasty. For slow film, I prefer Ilford FP4 therefore, which works beautifully with Rodinal. The film I want to try is Fomapan 100R B&W positive film but again, as it needs special developers containing HQ, I would have to give it to others to process. I used to love Agfa Scala B&W positive film. 

Wilson

On 2/3/2019 at 3:10 PM, ianman said:

So surely their other profitable activities could easily absorb any losses incurred by keeping film in production, keeping the brand name visible on the shelves and film users happy.

I wish that were important to them, but Fujifilm is not an exciting stock and that is all the bean-counters care for. They are not photographers nor enthusiasts. They live in their complex cross-corporate reports, meet to make decisions in sterile environments while the rest of us have a life.

10 minutes ago, wlaidlaw said:

I prefer Ilford FP4 therefore, which works beautifully with Rodinal.

My life long self-directive to use D-76 or Rodinal and if the film is unhappy with it, I do not use that film again.

Posted (edited)
5 hours ago, wlaidlaw said:

I find that if I get someone else to develop Adox Silvermax 100 in the correct Silvermax developer, it is every bit as fine grain as Acros. BTW Fotoimpex still have Acros in stock. I am allergic to Hydroquinone, so am limited in the developers I can use and when I have developed Silvermax in my usual HQ-free Rodinal, it has come out with rather blocky shadows and over contrasty. For slow film, I prefer Ilford FP4 therefore, which works beautifully with Rodinal. The film I want to try is Fomapan 100R B&W positive film but again, as it needs special developers containing HQ, I would have to give it to others to process. I used to love Agfa Scala B&W positive film. 

Wilson

Adox Silvermax 100 is an interesting emulsion - I'm going to give it a try, seeing how it's been five years of nothing but hollow promises and endless waiting from the makers of http://www.filmferrania.it/p30

There's not even a buy page for P30 on their website any more:  https://shop.filmferrania.it/  

Edited by Herr Barnack

Advertisement (gone after registration)

Ferrania were I thought, originally going to re-issue the interesting Ferraniachrome, where any addition to the very limited range of colour reversal film is to be welcomed with open arms. I remember it as rendering autumn colours beautifully.

However, five years messing about to produce an indifferent black and white film, when there are already such good or at least adequate alternatives from Kodak, Ilford, Adox, Rollei, Orwo, Lomography, Cinestill, Foqus, Kosmo plus others, seems like a total waste of time, money and effort to me.

I very nearly invested in this at the beginning but after another bad Kickstarter experience, decided to give it a miss. I am now very glad I didn't get involved. 

Wilson

6 hours ago, Herr Barnack said:

Adox Silvermax 100 is an interesting emulsion - I'm going to give it a try, seeing how it's been five years of nothing but hollow promises and endless waiting from the makers of http://www.filmferrania.it/p30

There's not even a buy page for P30 on their website any more:  https://shop.filmferrania.it/  

but seems there are people using it?

http://www.filmferrania.it/p30-processing

http://www.filmferrania.it/p30-galleries

10 hours ago, ianman said:

It was available sporadically at Maco some time ago. But I haven't seen any for ages.

That has been my understanding of availability of P30 - a handful here and there and then a drought for many months on end or even years.

There are apparently still some people who are owed P30 film from their financial support of Ferrania's kickstarter campaign that took place five years ago.

It's a sad situation; P30 looks like it produces excellent images. 

The only person I know who tried P30 found that it had built in scratches on the substrate, which make a nonsense of the whole exercise. 

Wilson

Posted (edited)

Off-topic for FUJI - but you guys can go to the Ferrania website - news updates page - to maintain some idea of what is going on. Most recent update 3/2019 (they hired one new guy - whoopee!). I note there is a "Herr Barnack" already posting there.

http://www.filmferrania.it/news

Not taking sides, but a few news flashes.

- factory was shut down entirely 2/2018-8/2018 for "government-mandated" and other improvements.

- factory is having/has had basic infrastructure problems - water delivery, electrical systems and backup, even road connections. And even the Ferrania guys point out "these are controlled by outside companies, and this is Italy."

- the original P30A production batch was the "ALPHA" batch, as in "before even BETA." Hand-made in many cases.

- indeed, quality was a problem, air quality in particular (which I'd guess means dust). Rubber rollers over which the film "rolled" when being split and perforated had aged and cracked, producing scratches.

My reading is that after being closed for 7 years before the revival was initiated, the factory was more or less an extreme fixer-upper - dust on everything, aged materials and equipment (a 1918 slitting device) and in general what one might expect entering a rural house after it has been shut up and unoccupied and unmaintained for 7 years. Disconnected from power, water, sewage, etc. Probably requires an expertise in something other than photo-chemistry to get cleaned up and liveable.

BTW, I figured out that "L.R.F" means something like Laboratorio de Ricerca Ferrania - the entire new factory is simply the old factory's tiny reseach building. Rather like restarting a "new" Rollei - in one's garage. In the dark.

Edited by adan

On 5/12/2019 at 10:50 PM, adan said:

BTW, I figured out that "L.R.F" means something like Laboratorio de Ricerca Ferrania - the entire new factory is simply the old factory's tiny reseach building. Rather like restarting a "new" Rollei - in one's garage. In the dark.

Indeed, the lastest video (http://www.filmferrania.it/news-articles/2019/the-workshop) doesn't really look new!! And I'm not sure it's wise to show 70s Pirelli calendar style pictures plastered on the wall of the "new" factory either.