Malcolmp

Shortage of 55-135 L Lens

As a proud new owner of the CL with a 18mm lens and shortly to acquire a 23mm, I am disappointed that acquiring a 55-135 is so difficult.

There  is definitely  a shortage of supply in the market place and it seems Leica can’t satisfy demand.

My current camera is a Sony 7R mk2 with a range of Zeiss primes but for travel they are heavy. The CL is a delight and most of the time with the 18mm

can fit in the pocket. My plan is to fit the 55-135 into the other pocket if I can find one to buy. 

Hopefully the competition from Sigma will wake Leica up into realising they have a great product.

This is well-discussed in other threads. Some keen members have found lenses, new or used, by dint of persistent searching on web-sites. Sigma might help when they start producing compatible lenses. But the subject lens is highly popular, for good reasons. Keep up your searching and you will find one.

You gotta call around and ask to be notified when one is available. Not know where you are located, they seem to be more available in Europe than the US. I got mine from ebay simply by checking every day or I believe you can do a search, save it and be notified when anything new shows up. FWIW

🤸‍♂️Just brought one home. Ken Hansen has been looking for me to no avail.I believed that I'd called every Leica dealer in the US. This morning I saw that New York Photo and Video (only a 12 mile drive from my house) was a Leica dealer. I called and, amazingly, they had one. It's been in stock for months. Just lucky. 

Thanks for all the helpful comments.

I acquired the lens this morning from the Manchester Leica Store.

Hopefully will arrive tomorrow and I can get out and try it.

2 hours ago, Malcolmp said:

Thanks for all the helpful comments.

I acquired the lens this morning from the Manchester Leica Store.

Hopefully will arrive tomorrow and I can get out and try it.

I bought 23mm, 18-56mm and 35mm TL all second hand from them, plus lately a Leica TL2 (second hand). Every item comes and I unpackage as if they are genuinely new items, plus they give you their provenance. 

On 2/3/2019 at 3:00 PM, sshire said:

🤸‍♂️Just brought one home. Ken Hansen has been looking for me to no avail.I believed that I'd called every Leica dealer in the US. This morning I saw that New York Photo and Video (only a 12 mile drive from my house) was a Leica dealer. I called and, amazingly, they had one. It's been in stock for months. Just lucky. 

Yup. I just called and they sold the only one they had. Guy at the store said "Good Luck."  I wish I would have checked this thread when you posted the above. 

It's going to be a long slog trying to find that lens. 

Just bought one, along with the 11-23mm zoom, from Glazers' Camera in Seattle.  I asked if they had any more.  They don't have any new but they do have a demo of each.   He wasn't sure if the store will sell them but it doesn't hurt to contact them if you're looking.

Amy

Having phoned six UK retailers all giving me the same - “on back-order, but no delivery date available” response, I was about to give up. I then phoned my last hope - Wilkinson’s Cameras in Chesterfield and to my surprise they had one in stock - being delivered on Thursday 😀.  Thank you Wilkinson. 

That is rather interesting because if the store is part of a group of that name, based in the NW  of UK, I thought they had relinquished the Leica dealership. Good to hear your news.

If anyone in the UK would like a bargain 55-135 for £899 right now with a 12 month warranty from Wex.

Here you go

https://www.wexphotovideo.com/leica-t-55-135mm-f3-5-5-6-asph-apo-vario-elmar-lens-used-1691598/

There is also a 18-56 for £774

https://www.wexphotovideo.com/leica-t-18-56mm-f3-5-5-6-asph-vario-elmar-lens-used-1691596/

Please tell us in this thread if you find these a good home as it stops me purchasing them. I had them both added to my cart but I like my 23mm for portability :)

Good luck both are amazing lenses!

Regards

Craig

Edited by brightscene

Well, they seem to have a good Trustpilot score...

Wex Photographic are very good to deal with, for buying anyway, new or used.

nearly bought it twice now,

my concern is 'steadiness' at 135.

i've come from Olympus em1 mk2 and 12-100 which was good for a couple of seconds

I do miss it, but not that much

Edited by huwm

Are you concerned about your ability to hold the lens steady or something else? If you use a shutter speed equivalent there is no issue. I posted these earlier of the original and a cropped area. It was handheld at 135 ISO200 1/800 @ f6.3

I think the combination of body and lens stabilisation with that combo has made me somewhat blase  about handheld shots.

Those look great, I'll have to relearn my limits and see how it goes 

Think I'm OK to about 1/250 but probably better to aim for faster speeds initially 

Edited by huwm